Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 front drum / spindle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WM3, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WM3

WM3

Ok, I know I'm missing something rally basic here, but I'm stuck. I'm trying to remove the drum brake from the front spindle of my 48 Ford F1. I've read everything I could find, but I'm just not getting it. I've removed all bolts, soaked in PB, heated and beaten. Help me guys, how do I get this off?

Attached Files:

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Probably rusted to the hub or shoes, try removing the dust cap and wheel bearing nut.

3. WM3

WM3

I've seen a diagram to that affect. So, how does the dust cap come off (before I just beat it to death)?

4. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

1948 some unscrew and some are typical removal and pry off. I bet the drum is frozen/rusted to the hub. Particularly around the wheel studs. When you turn the drum does it drag hard on the shoes? If yes, then it may be stuck to shoes and you will have to back off the adjuster.

5. WM3

WM3

It turns, but not without some effort. I'll get a big wrench on that dust cap to see if anything happens.

Oh, and that '50 of yours is gorgeous.

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I take a chisel and hammer and lightly work my way around the parting edge till it is loose enough to pull off. As it comes out, you raise the tip of the chisel, keeping the dust cap flange on the ramped edge of the chisel. Basically, don't just cram the cutting edge straight into the side of the cap. That cap looks beat anyways but it's good practice.

7. WM3

WM3

Got it! Like you said, with some careful chiseling I was able to remove the cap, removed the pin and bolt and the spindle dropped right out. HAMB never fails me.

Thanks guys!

8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

After you get that spindle nut off and the drum/hub off you are going to have to use a press to get the drum off the hub. Sometimes the studs are swedged over against the drum, if so you are going to have to use a special cutter to cut the lip off the stud so it can then be pressed out of the hub and allowing the drum to be removed from the hub. Not all are like that. Be careful with beating on the drum too much as it still may be usable with a turning. when pressing out the studs make sure to put something behind them to hold tight against the hub so you dont bend it.

9. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

after a closer look it looks like your studs are free from the drum and all you need to do is just get that hub and drum off and knock out the hub. dont beat on the end of the hub without a piece of wood or something to protect it.

10. WM3

WM3

Thanks, that will be helpful when I get to the back brakes. For now I'm looking at using a disc brake conversion for the front. I know that drums can work just fine, but I live on the top of a mountain with a long, steep, twisty drive to anywhere, and I like being able to stop. Of course, as they're not cheap, I'll be hanging on to the drums just in case.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its always easier to take the drum off the spindle before you take the spindle off the axle. Dont trash the drum parts! Someone else can use them.

12. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

If your interested in selling the backing plates let me know I just tried to pm you and it said your mail box is full