Register now to get rid of these ads!

Non-profit car club for kids

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Jan 17, 2013.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

In conclusion, i feel it would be best to cancel the idea until a more detailed and meaningful plan can be constructed.

2. Dezert_Racer

Dezert_Racer

Non profits are tough, I know because I am a v.p of.one it took 3 years to get our 501c3 status. As for board members you need an odd number 3,5,7 so on smaller works better trust me. We were a board of 9 we are down to 5. It works much better

As for ideas. There are some good ones out there but for insurance sake. A raffle is a much better cause. And easier to manage you can give the supporters much more exposure with a raffle and you can choose what program you would want to donate to. Like an after school program or a dying auto shop in a local high school

But if you have any questions you can pm me here or my. E-mail. [email protected]. and check us out

At www.fast-aid.org

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Yes, THANK YOU. You know i do have some business background.

4. powmia

powmia

Thanks for the opinions guys, not really what I was looking for. It is not that there is a lack of a plan, it was just not fully disposed and I guess that is my fault. We are not looking to be a skill providing asset that creates ASE certified 14 year olds. Getting children away from addict parents, gangs or what have you is better than nothing. I feel that it is being over thought. As far as the specifics of starting a non profit are concerned I understand that there are hurdles; the same good can be done without the title in the mean time. Thanks guys.
    -Scott

5. powmia

powmia

Thanks, that is exactly the support that is needed. As mentioned before, these are the experiences that will ultimately outlast some skills. We don't have the capability to provide technical training or a traditional certification. But the experiences will last a life time.

6. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I teach an Automotive technology class a a local high school. It is amazing to see how much students like working with there hands. I try to give them many aspects of the auto field. Most students want to learn to weld and fabricate parts for the car that they work on. Some of the student like to do body work. Some of the student like to do mechanical work. The way I see this is a student that starts working on old car's many decide to go into the automotive field. Yes we work on computer controlled car every day. Over the years I have had student's that thought they wanted to be a mechanic until seeing how hard the work is and changed there minds. Good luck with your Idea.

Ps. At least they would no be gaming or texting all of the time.

7. I’ve thought about your situation and have a few suggestions
    1 If you want to help young people and pass on skills and knowledge, try putting your thoughts and ideas together and approach organizations that are already helping troubled youth. They have already done the legal work. Try to include any car clubs in your area that may want to help
    . 2 Approach the local tech school/shop class with your ideas . They already have a shop, tools and more than likely ,a good supply of troubled youth. A retired friend of mine works part time as an assistant shop teacher because he enjoys working with young people.

3 Be a teacher. Most teaching jobs only require an ASE certification and 3-6 years working experience and a good sense of humor.

4 Do like the nay sayers and give up

Remember that any thing dealing with helping young people will require a back ground check and fingerprints. Hopefully that’s not a problem.

Also, make sure to put your ideas together in a neat, professional manner. Show pictures, videos, other programs similar to your idea. Be energetic and professional. The people who make the decisions in the office like this stuff, in other words you got to be able to sell it.

8. I forgot to help with ideas on parts. Once you figure out how or what your going to do , spend some time asking local parts stores to sponser, make sure the local paper knows whats hapening ,stores like advertisment. See if any dealerships would sponser. Piant is a little easier because you can probably talk a sales rep into a demo. The parts thing would become easier if you could hook up with an existing charity group. Remember if ya throw enough rocks you will eventually hit a window Good Luck

9. bend_it

bend_it
    from aus

It can be done. Just got to get them interested. back when I was about 19 or so (8 or 9 years ago) I caught half a dozen 10-12 yr olds going up and down the street smashing car windows.:mad: Told em I can tell their parents or they can help me flip 80's s**tboxes for a month. Most of them turned up nearly everyday for the next six months or so till I moved.

Fixing things was more fun than destroying things. Obviously this was nothing official, but it worked. To those claiming they should learn new cars, they all still work on the same basic principles. If you can rebuild a diff you can do CV's in a FWD no problem.

PS. I did let everyone else with broken windows know who was at fault, and those kids ended up replacing quite a few of them too.:)

10. I co-ordinated a car show at my son's high school for handicapped kids.
    We had students paint up some posters, the art class made a trophy, and we had a "people's choice-students only" vote for best in show. One father grilled burgers. We made a little money for their arts program and everyone had fun.
    They talked about it for years.
    Insurance shut us out after the first one.