Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Cadillac Mild Custom.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrioxinKustoms, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

[​IMG]

Picked up this caddy the other day.. Got a few days to try to make it into something nice. The bottom of the doors are RUSTY.. Poor old thing has been neglected, carb was full of jelly.. but I got it moving under its own power.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

3. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

What do you guys think of putting teeth in this caddy?

[​IMG]

4. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Sweet!!! I dig the teeth idea!! Great save!!

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

It looks much better than the wire mesh that it had but there's something about it that's not quite right. Maybe if it was just the teeth and the center bar was blacked out?

6. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

any opinions from the night crew?

7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I think a tube grille would look better than the teeth. It would be simpler and subtler...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. db300

db300

I like the teeth!

9. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Let me start by saying I like it BUT...you're using a 50's grill in a 60's car. Your kinda goin backwards. The idea of kustomizing is to try to modernize the car and a tube grill is the way to do it. That being said its still a neat idea and with some flake paint it'll be rad set up. I have a soft spot for those old boats I had a '62 fleetwood in high school. JohnnyA

[​IMG]

10. 'Mo

'Mo

Needs more teeth! :D

[​IMG]

11. lawman

lawman

Love the teeth !!!!

12. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I like the teeth.

13. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

thanks guys, I'll post more progress as I go.. not looking forward to those door bottoms..

14. i like the teeth, but the way i like to kustomize is to make sure the car or whatever is absolutely nothing like anybody else's, it's nice but kinda overdone, i'm game for painting the bar black though!

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I don't like the teeth, the original grille is so much better, but a tube grille would suit the car, it's a Fleetwood, it's a nice design and rare.

16. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

I like it it and the the guys that are telling you how to customize/kustomize cars are idiots for their explanations. The idea behind building or doing anything custom to a car is to make it how you want and make it cool in your eyes. Not make it modern, or take it back a decade. Make it cool. Improve upon what the factory started. Now they can say they don't like it but to give a false defenition or history lesson is just plain sad. Do it up. More teeth like the el camino could be cool too.

17. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Nice Cadillac .I hope the door rust don't give you to much trouble .I look forward to seeing what you end up doing.

18. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

Build it your way and enjoy it! No matter what you do, it won't please everybody.

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Exactly. :)

20. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I like it man....sweet......

21. mattrod68

mattrod68

everyone does tube grills, i think yours is growing on me

matt

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

He asked, I gave an opinion, I don't think that makes me an idiot.

23. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

You're right, you were asked and left it at that. So you were mistakenly called that, I was referring to the other guy that gave a bogus history lesson. I wanna apologize for name calling though, was uncalled for especially to you Nads.

24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Sorry to break it to you buddy .... :cool:
    But that "bogus history lesson" that you are refering to was, and is accurate. It's also very TRADITIONAL, which is what this forum is all about.

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I concur with Special Ed, I take tradition very seriously as I do custom car history, but the fella is free to do as he please.

26. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

There is only one pint to kustomizing cars, it's not to go futuristic, it isnt to go retro, it's to make the car different than stock. Improve on factory parts or conjur up something completely different. If it was to go futuristic all the custom cars from the 50's and 60's would look like the concept cars of the same time period or like something from the jetsons. Some did, but not all, which is what the guy was trying to say, which was wrong. It's not the only way.

27. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Thanks guys, Don't worry about yay or nay as much as what else I can do to improve it. I'm always open to more suggestions of course. Some people have a better eye than I do and might have been able to point out a flaw in my idea. If I was 100% sure of the grille myself I wouldn't have had to ask. I like it though, I'll be lowering it and doing a few other odds and ends while I drive it around. Only thing that bums me out is the crack in the windshield.. but they are around.