Register now to get rid of these ads!

'64 ford galaxie engine ungrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TANNERGANG, Jan 18, 2013.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I've had no problems with the 352...I just like something when your running down the Interstate and someone punches at about 65 ot 70...at least you've got something you can punch back with it............I'm an Ol Round Track driver and I like something you can at least punch once in a while...........it does cruise good though and to me is super cool with the top down and my bald head shining......

Attached Files:

2. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I had a 62 galaxie with a 4 bbl 390 and it had plenty of power, but it got around 9mpg. some of it was the weight of driving a two bedroom apartment but most of it was the higher rpm on the highway. I looked into all the overdrive suggestions some of which are mentioned here and even others like the 4l80e adapter and a gear vendors unit, all of them cost more than the gas I would save in 20 years. cheaper swaps relied on transmissions that would have grenaded under the torque of the 390.

I looked at the 4.6 4 valve modular swap too, from a big stinkin lincoln mark viii, the whole car could be had for under 1000. the steering on the old galaxie exists in the same place as where the oil pan needed to be. 302 and AOD seemed a little like flogging not-enough-rowers in a viking ship.

so while the purists might scoff at a 5.3 silverado lq and overdrive swap, it sure makes a lot of sense in hindsight. cheap, readily available, and can tug that collection of planets and suns around easily.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I will also scoff at any Chevrolet engine in a '64 Ford Galaxie... f**k that!
    I know the LS engines are great - power, mpg, etc.

Just personal opinion to keep a 'Ford in a Ford' in this case.

I mentioned a 390 before...
    BUT I did put a roller cam 302 in my old '62 Galaxie with a '94 Mustang T5.
    The results were great. .030 over, stock heads, Trickflow Stage 1 cam, Trickflow valve springs (to match cam), Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, 3.70 rear gears.

Great power, fun to drive, and it consistently got 21+ mpg.
    'RAZINCAIN' currently owns the car - he can vouch for performance and mileage.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ECd9_D6iqog?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. slammed

slammed

Dude those wheels are huge. Sell them, put steelies on it and use the $ for a cam kit and super tune the old motor.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If anyone is only getting around 9 miles to the gallon on the highway with a FE somethings wrong and the motor needs some attention,my 65 country squire that had a 390 and C-6 would pull down 16 to 18 on the road. 16 to 18 does not seem like much today but those old pigs were designed in the days of cheap gas and that was normal,on my 390 I kept it in tune and added a electronic ignition plus played with the jets in the carb. My 55 sunliner with a 351-W/C-4 and 3.00 gears gets the same mileage and makes me wish I would have bought the 390 I was looking at when I was building it,it would probably do better if it had a cam that was more efficient in the rpm range I drive but its going back to a Y block so no need of wasting any money.

6. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

back in the 80s Built a mild 390 for my 69 torino 10 to 1 compression, very mild crane cam 4 bbl holley, not sure of the gas mileage but that thing had a ton of low and mid range torque. also had a 64 Galaxie with a 289 3 spd and plans were for a 390 upgrade but it naver happened.

7. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

nope. fresh engine, new carb, eletronic ignition. 70mph and brick aerodynamics was just not friendly to fuel economy. I guess I could maybe get 21mpg with an FE, but at the bottom of the mountain I'd have to turn around and go back up.

seriously though, I have a 2010 model year 4 cylinder daily that gets 21mpg combined and that's driving normal, not driving on eggshells trying to maximize mpg.

And I have seen a lot of people spend a lot more money than they need to trying to keep other people happy with their decisions on mods. For me, its doowhatchoolyke.

8. lots/of/stuff

lots/of/stuff
    from Dallas, Tx

just sayin

Attached Files:

• gl.jpg
      gl.jpg
      File size:
      231 KB
      Views:
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looks like something I would not give more then scrap price now.

10. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Now thats a motor !! just sayin

11. cracker head

cracker head

HAHAHAHA!!! I was waiting for that.

Just needs to be Seafoam Green again....

12. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

LS1....I'd like to put something to that caliber.....but a Ford....There is bound to be some type new Ford engine that will fit in there like the picture of the LS1........I ONLY want a Ford in this car.

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Of course there is- I saw a '64 Country Sedan a couple years ago with a 4.6/AOD in it, that sohc engine dresses up real nice and is a very sweet runner- I bought a beatup '95 Bird for $1K for a commuter car figuring when I wore it out I'd scrap the body and save the driveline and climate control, just keeps running and that 4.6 loves to rev- even has IRS. LS1 is a good engine, but belongs in Chebbies

14. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

There is a 64 galaxie 390 motor for sale near my house for $500

i just sold a cruisomatic for $150.

Look around and youll find just what you need for cheap.