Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects LSR Project Belly Tanker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spoons, Dec 29, 2012.

1. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Haven't been on here for awhile...
    4 friends and I are building this for a LSR attempt @ Wilmington, Ohio..
    If all goes well....Bonneville here we come....

Attached Files:

2. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Here's some more Pics....

Attached Files:

Timberman518 likes this.
  3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!

4. cracker head

cracker head

Cool! What is the powerplant, cid???

5. spooler41

spooler41

Spoons, Sweet project. I love what you guys are doing. I've often thought of a tanker build my self, but never had the $$$ to pull it off.
    Good luck and have fun.

..................Jack

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Harley Revolution?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Do the rules allow you to run a full canope over the roll cage? Bob

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great build - what class running in? what is record for your class? what is near you to test run and get pre-run safety inspection?

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

Stock displacement on a V-Rod is 50 c.i. which would put it in I lakester. And the Bonneville record is a stiff 199.665 by Bockscar this year. Tough row to hoe but doable. The I lakeester record at Ohio is open as far as I know so that's a gimme right there. The best of luck with a beautiful build. Hope to see you on the salt.

10. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Firingorder1 is right. We have 5 motors, including one that is a big bore kit. We are getting help from Milwaukee, so we are setting reasonable goals. Gonna try to run it in stock configuration for a year, then put the big motor in..These are Destroyer motors and one with a big bore...
    I work for the largest aircraft prop maker in the world, so we can use our airport to tune and de-bug the creation..
    I think we fit in H/I gas lakester..
    (From HD) In 2008, the 1,250 cc Revolution Engine became standard for the entire VRSC line. Harley-Davidson claims 123 horsepower (92 kW) at the crank for the 2008 VRSCAW model. The VRXSE Destroyer is equipped with a stroker (75 mm crank) Screamin’ Eagle 1,300 cubic centimetres (79 cu in) Revolution Engine, producing over 165 horsepower (123 kW).

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Yes ...Have full canopy being molded...

12. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Pre-safety inspection already done. Took rolling car to wilmington..
    gave us a few pointers, but a thumbs up overall.
    No records in wilmington....but Bockskar has set a High bar at Bonneville..
    I/G Lakester 200.00 mph
    H/G Lakester 225.667 mph.
    doing this mainly for fun....Help from Milwaukee, Pat Dakin @ Commerical Metal Fabricators Top Fuel racing Team, and many others...

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that looks to be very well thought out and constructed. It's easy to see that you guys really did your homework before cutting the first piece of tubing.

14. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Nice Belly TANK. I like it!

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that is soooo cool, I would love to build something like that and run it, maybe one day!
    You guy's wouldn't mind if I kept copy's of the pics and use them for reference to a scale model I am planning to build?? (It wont be copied or used as a master for the sale of a kit, just a private build).

Thanks guy's and good luck with it!!

Doc.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Please note the correct usage of the word TANK. Tanker is a ship hauling crude oil.

17. Very nice. I will follow this one to see how well you do. Good luck!

18. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Go ahead Doc...a scale model...cool

19. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Awsome "spoons".... Great to have another belly tanker around...

Did your belly tanker come from Scotts Rods ?

As you are obviously being very cautious with attention to detail on your build, I sent numerous pic's by email during the construction to a few SCTA Inspectors, who were great to deal with. When I arrived in B-Ville this past August, new car and two rookie drivers, the only change I had to make was add a slight amount of padding to decrease the driver's, lateral head movement.

From your pic's, you have done an "excellent" job on the frame, etc.....

20. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Candyman,
    Since the ECTA moved its racing to Wilmington, we have been in constant contact with all those involved. We are only 1 hour from the facility, so if any changes are made, we just load it up and take it down there for scrunity.
    Already had to dump the carbon fiber seat (got it from Dakin), and made a new one. Added a couple of bars to the top (per request of tech dept.), but other than that, nothing major...
    Thanks for the tip on the padding...I'm sure that will be an issue for us as well..
    Body was cast from an original tank here in Dayton by Gotham City....(Thay are the ones doing the Batman cars and they are right across the drive from the Hot Rod/ Chrome/ Top Fuel Facility....
    Here's a video done last year of the Top Fuel team..Not Nostalgia (Ryan and Crew deleted the video, says its "Late Model") but cool anyway....

http://vimeo.com/56321370

21. stainless1

stainless1

Spoons, nice build... a couple of comments
    Do you know your scrub radius? Short wheelbase cars tend to wander a little on the salt, minimum scrub helps that issue.

1200cc will put you H (227.667) basically 1 to 1.5 liters, need 750cc to 1 liter for I (202.8)

I trust you have a SCTA rule book, it will have the safety requirements for lateral restraint, fire systems, tires, etc. If you have any salt questions don't hesitate to ask... we all look forward to seeing you and that beautiful machine on the salt.

As Dean said, all records are doable...
    that's how they got set where they are.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

If this is a replica body, are you allowed to smooth out the ribs, or do you have to make it look like a stock tank? Bob [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Just remember the "water tight" seal SCTA requires between the engine and the driver.... At tech inspection this past year, they had a flash light looking for gaps. I placed fire proof tape around the 1/4" shifter rod which passes through the firewall. There may have been 1/16" gap around the shifter rod, and we still placed tape around the rod....

With my car, which has a taller cage than yours, as your cage is down nice and low, your "Hans Device" may catch the bottom/front hoop in your cage on a bail out. Wear all your clothing, everything, and try a few bail outs ! I know I was surprised..... I use the quick release pins on my helmet, for the tether strap, attached to the Hans Device....

It certainly has a great look....

Are you going to use a push bar..... If you do, I used a small wheel at the back of the bar rather than a 'T' style push bar.... A couple guys recommended the wheel on the back of the push bar.

You probably have already thought of all the above, however; just in case you have not...

Regarding the lateral head movement, the Kirkey side helmet supports will not meet the standard. The lateral side supports, have to be ridgid and fixed... 2" Max. of lateral helmet movement...

24. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I would try using taller, narrower tires.....less drag for one thing.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Awesome belly tank build ... Do you have any information as to how I could purchase a tank from where you had yours made ?

26. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

27. Listen to Stainless, he may only have a few posts here but has been running on the salt for 100 years (sorry Stainless:D) and you are playing in his ballpark.

28. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

I'm usually not into belly tanks but this thing is just plain bitchin'! Nice build and good luck!!!

29. 55chevr

55chevr

You could smooth the rib lines if you desired and be class legal. The rib lines are there because they threw the mold off an aluminum tank. There are better aero bodies for lakesters but a tank is traditional and just plain sexy. Your choice of engine is going to be a limiting factor. Most of the records are in those classes are Suzuki in line 4 cylinder motorcycle engines .... tons of race parts and resulting power.
    Joe

30. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

we are just going to have it wrapped...ribs are no big thing
    wanted to do a tank just because of the tradition..
    motor won't be much of a "limiting" factor..have help from Milwaukee and others...more for fun than an all out assualt
    kurt