Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did you take your drivers license test in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 20, 2013.

1. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

1972 Ford F250 long bed, 390 3/spd on the tree and a camper shell on the back. Passed first time out. Instructor couldn't believe that I could drive that thing with all the blind spots on it and had me do several 3 point turns and parallel park jobs. When we got back to the DMV, the instructor told my folks "That boy knows how to drive. There's no need to give him a learners permit" and gave me a full fledged license. I was 15.

2. dclickster

dclickster

In 1959 Fort Worth Tx. It was a '56 Ford Sunliner Convertible. I was 16 .

3. 4tford

4tford

1962 in a 62 caddy.

4. greener200

greener200

My Grandmothers 1979 4 door Nova ,limegreen . state trooper had an attitude when I did a two point turn instead of a 3 point turn . I just spun it around ,I really didn,t know what he meant . my grandmother Doris(in the back seat knitting, no less ,I kid you knot) made a comment on how "SNAPPY" He looked in his uniform and that took him out of his mood . passed shhheeeze seems like yesterday ! I was 19

5. Zerk

Zerk

A '65 Studebaker Daytona with GM 283 and Borg Warner automatic, with the little console temporarily removed per DMV requirements. This was in the late '70s.

The Tester was testy. Jumped in and wanted to know why my dad had got out of the front passenger seat. "What if this kid lost control of the car?!"
    While sitting in line, engine off, waiting.
    He tried to make me drive faster around turns, hoping I'd lose it and flunk out.
    I'd been practicing everything for weeks, though. It wasn't tedious, it was fun. Passed first time.

6. "59 Pontiac 4dr. htp in '59. It was a school driver ed car and the first year for driver's ed in our town.

7. Mike

Mike

1972 Ford Country Squire. It only took me 3 tries to pass!

8. eddie1

eddie1

83 or 84 Dodge Colt from the driving school. Passed first time. Anyone envious of the ride?

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

When I took my test, I used hand signals to turn sometimes and sometimes I used mechanical signals. After the test, I learned that I lost points every time I used mechanical signals. 1967

10. A Brand New.....1964 Pontiac GTO. Bright Red, 4-Speed,
    w/Tri-Power.....Wild, passed the first time. It belonged to a buddy who worked with my Dad. What a day!

Murph

11. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

A GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 350 lifted 6 inches with 35 inch super swamper tires, took the test in CA and failed my first time before I even put it in gear because California requires you know where the defroster is, and I had never used it so I shrugged my shoulders said I dunno... And he failed me after being in the truck after 1 minute. came back a week later and passed with flying colors I knew after that were the defroster was, I just wonder if I had my 57 Dodge i drive now with no heater in it, if I would have failed?!...

12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

'60 Ford Ranch Wagon. 3 on the tree. Missed 1 shift got docked a point. Ha!

13. Grabber28

Grabber28
    from Charlotte

1980 Z-28 White with Tri-Blue Accent stripes

14. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

1970 SS LS6 454 Chevelle. Still have it. DMV wasnt very thrilled about it but my dad told them it was are only car so they let me take it with the Chevelle.

15. woodypecker

woodypecker

1929 Ford 2 door.

16. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

My uncle's 1968 Plymouth Road Runner in 1974. Result: failed because over accelerating at lights causing tires to spin. :eek: Passed next time in my 1964 Chev Belair.:)

17. johnnyvees

johnnyvees
    from sunland ca

Mom,s 63 Chevy Nova more door,

18. 1956 Buick 2 door post, nailhead ,dynalfow... Just to show ya how I've always liked traditional ,old cars...The only drawback is , it was in 1957 !!! ...and I was 16 Y/O...

Damn, seems like yesterday !!!

Stan

19. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

1986 K5 Blazer, the very same 700R4 is in my merc now.

20. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

I took the test in 1963 using my mom's very nice 57 Chevy 4 door Bel Air hardtop. My Dad was extremely upset that I didn't pass the first time, because of a taillight that was out. He was a mechanic and took great pride in his cars being perfect. You don't see many 4 door hard tops, so like many others, man I wish I had that car today.

21. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I took my test in a 56 Ford Parklane wagon. You had to be 16 years and 1 month to take the test and I was there that morning. Aced the written test and did well on my driving portion, till I just touched the curb while parking. I must have visually wilted thinking I'd just flunked. Tester said he was supposed to flunk me for that but told me to try it again. I did and did it right. I told him my dad took me out the day before and I had parked 57 times and never touched a curb. Tester said, "Ahh, you were just nervous, I knew you could do it, good job." Bingo! The tester was a rather stern appearing guy but, real nice to a jittery kid.

22. hemiboy

hemiboy

1962 Imapla convertible, 327 4 speed, royal blue with white top and interior.

23. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

1951 Chev Deluxe 2 door sedan - stickshift (my Mom's car...) in 1958

Back in those days the test was given by a Penna State Trooper, they blocked off a street in town and that's where you took the test. An 'instant failure' was if you stalled the engine on a standard transmission car.

I had to do a '3 point turn' and stalled that Chevy when I went to back up.....immeadiately pulled on the parking brake, car in neutral, re-started the engine, back in gear, released the parking brake and continued .... figured I was done and flunked.

The Trooper never said a word except 'you passed' !!!

24. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

64 plymouth sport fury with pushbutton torqueflite trans in 1969

25. GREASER815

GREASER815

1980's S-10, it was a 5 speed that I was also learning how to drive as I was taking my test, you never learn any better than when under fire.

26. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Our family only had one car and my dad worked long hours, so on my 16th birthday I talked the neighbor lady into taking me to the DMV and using her car to take the test. It was a '52 Pont. four door, straight 8, 3 on the tree. That was in March 1959 remember like it was yesterday, passed with flying colors!!

27. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I took my test in a Panic !!!!!

28. Ms. Sam

Ms. Sam
    from Barker, NY

1986 Chevy S10, with the cap. My guy then said "be sure you use your mirrors, I got marked off for not using mine." I used my mirrors too much, when the instructor said "ya know, you can look out the window..." Passed first time. However, had been driving field cars, trucks, and farm equipment since I could walk and talk. Still drive better than I walk and talk ;-D

29. Took mine in a 1970 Olds Cutlass S. 350/350. The car was gold on gold. MAN I thought that car was the shit!

30. spaner

spaner
    from australia

1967 falcon 6 cyl manual driving school car parents never had a car or licence