Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 62 Galaxie project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wreckingball, Apr 14, 2010.

1. bluestang67

bluestang67

I like this thread , I had a 62 Galaxie 500 in 1973 paid $25 for it . Engine was a 292 though .

I have this hanging in the garage took a liking to it when I found it .

Attached Files:

2. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

3. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

great build thread man, i had a 63 galaxie xl conv, rangoon red a few yrs back really liked it too. yours is badass, love the way it turned out, very nice job.
    goat

4. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks for your comments Magnus, it is appreciated.

5. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

I wish I could take you along, guess the next best thing would be a video.

6. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks for the comments, my wife got a laugh out of it:D:D

7. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

I am sure yours will turn better.

8. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks for your generous comments, it is really appreciated. M

9. maddog1949

maddog1949

Beautiful car and great job.

10. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

great job! followed this post from the beginning because i purchased a 62 xl "g" code galaxie about the same time. stripped it much the same way because of expense,refinished in raven black,(yes, the body is that good) new black interior, bored .040 over 62 hp block,correct heads, comp cam, harland sharp rockers, rebuilt carbs,correct 62 dist. and drove it for the 1st time in a christmas parade. wife comes home yesterday and says she has found the house of her dreams,so it has to go(been married for 49 1/2 years,so she's staying lol).ready for the next owner.

11. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

To all that have commented and viewed the posts, many thanks.

12. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

hey very nice, man great looking hot rod.....

13. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Thanks it is very much appreciated.
    I have not been able to locate a decent set of seat shields (the plastic ones ) some I figured we should carry on with the theme painting all the trim pieces the same. I located some 500XL seat shields which are anodized aluminum. Gave them a good scuffing up, primed, prepped, painted and cleared just like the dash.
    [​IMG]
    Gave them the mini flake treatment and what you see is basically off the gun.
    [​IMG]

14. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

It has been a long time since I had last posted, there only a few small details and the car is done. I bought some Smithy's mufflers and replaced the HiPo units and woke the old girl up and just sounds so tough.
    [​IMG]

The other thing I wanted to change was the wheel and tire package. I decided to go with the white walls , 15x8 steel wheels and dog dish hub caps. I had been chasing some caps and they turned up after the pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

The caps turned up, took her out for her first real run and had a slow leak in the right rear due to a crack in the rim! A good friend of ours was able to repair the rim.

[​IMG]

The second outing in the car it ran a little rough then came good only for the motor to die at the gate of my brother's place. The coil had decided it did not want to play ball. Replaced the coil with a borrowed unit and it fired up again and ran real good. New plugs, leads and coil are going on the car and hopefully we can have cruising the Aussie summer.

[​IMG]

15. toucan

toucan
    from sc

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very handsome. Exact same wheel-tire-and-hubcap combo I'm going to be running on my '62 Falcon. Those Galaxie dog dishes can be tough to track down unless you want to pay through the nose!

Thanks for the update.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

I had a Q code 62 in the 60s. I see this post started in 2010 I wonder how many t10 he's gone through by now?

18. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Still on the same one when I bought it.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

Mine was a trans killer. the last one left when I ran over a tar strip in a concrete road under power. It even had the bonded rubber drive shaft.