Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, Nes, I know you were with the Millwinders, that was a great competition between two fuel coupes, Drifters with a blown flathead and Millwinders with a chopped red Ardun-powered 35, Jack Ewell at the wheel, picture of both earlier on this thread...would be great to find more Paradise Mesa pictures

2. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

Strange as it seems, there aren't many pictures from back in those days. Guys from the club may have taken them, but just about all the members have passed by now. Of course the ones taken by HR Magazine and Car Craft in 53,54 and 55 still exist and show up now and then. After the spin out by Jack Ewell at Paradise we started to set the engine back about a foot or so but the job was never completed due to money. Emil Wurn took the engine out and sold the car to someone in 1955. Speed was never a problem for that car, just traction with the Ardun engine. Still 120 was pretty good in those days for a full fendered fuel coupe... Nes

3. skywolf

skywolf

These fantastic shots are from Sherm Porter's Facebook "San Luis Obispo & Santa Maria Dragstrip" album. Sherm also has a bunch of other great shots he has graciously shared on Facebook. Click here if you would like to see more great drag photos from the fifties and sixties. Thanks Sherm !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bentwings

bentwings

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Michaelson-Bissonett-Nelson AA/GD about 69-70 at Minn Dragways.

Ran pretty well with the Midwest All Stars from KC.

Destroyed in a highway crash and fire.

HTML:
     The cage was salvaged and built into the new car called "the Black Car". We couldn't come to an agreement on a name so it was just the black car. Attached Thumbnails[IMG]http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1843919&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1358713804[/IMG]   
    I believe this car was 180" It was about as long as they got back then. Also it was a "flexible flyer'. The frame rails separated....sometimes a long ways. haha It was really springy. I think this shot was right before we put the ill fated OD trans in. (POS.)

The "Black car" was 200" in preparqtion for it becoming a twin. It was also a "flexible flyer" as we like how it worked on the rough tracks. It had the new Lenco 2 speed as we know today. I had a complete motor and coupler ready to make it a twin when NHRA dumped the class.

5. 296ardun

296ardun

Skywolf, those pictures from San Luis Obispo & Santa Maria are classic drag racing! Couldn't get the FB link to work, maybe someone else can.

The 316 Bantam altered was owned/built/driven by Jim Agawa, from Santa Maria, Pontiac powered, ran 119 mph at 11.56, according to Dec '58 issue of HRM...We SoCal guys did not always appreciate the great cars from the central valley/coast, as shown here, lots of fast runners who ran Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Taft, Bakersfield, and, once a long time ago, Goleta...Thanks again for posting!

6. Nitro Nick

Nitro Nick

I think this was the old Ron O'Donnell funny car that came down under in the seventiies
    [​IMG]

7. WCD

WCD

Racers in the UK were masters of building inliner powered rails and altereds. Wasnt Dragonfly the name of a blown fuel Mini Cooper powered FED?

8. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

That #316 Alterd is bitchin' looking.

9. skywolf

skywolf

10. jaytee

jaytee
    from Ireland

11. rooman

rooman

Yep. I saw it at Graeme's shop not long after it arrived and while it still had the original paint job.

Roo

12. WCD

WCD

13. Could that be Jim Walton in the Mustang in the other lane?

14. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Note the guys cautious stance. Maybe he's draining out Hydrazine after a run. Tom S.

15. old582

old582

That photo looks more like Thunder Valley, Marion, South Dakota.

16. bentwings

bentwings

I think you are right....my mistake. There were lots of trees around Thunder Valley. We ran there quite a few times with this car and the "Black car"

17. speedbump

speedbump

what ever happened too the gratiot chev. saw it at e town many years ago was it ever restored

18. BSL409

BSL409

I&#8217;m not that old so I need to ask what maybe a dumb question why and when did the tree lights change going from top too bottom to just the upper part of the tree
    Thanks,
    BSL409

19. in honor of the late and great Ken Montgomery

Attached Files:

20. resurrection3

resurrection3

very sad time of ken leaving us!

21. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

I pulled this screen cap from a youtube clip. Anyone remember this Plymouth campaigned by Harvey Motor Company out of Madisonville, Tennessee?

To see it in motion (and attempt to decipher the video for yourself) zap ahead to 2:26
    I will buy anyone a beer if they can correctly identify the track and specifically the Black Plymouth which enters the frame at 2:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0SHFZUDeQ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  22. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

69Hurst; I don't want to give you any false leads, but I'm trying hard to think of who received the Dabbs Plymouth car out of Clarksville Tn. when Sr. made them get rid of it. I recall the cars, but get confused.
    Some how it comes to mind it went over to east Tn. to some place like Madisonville, but that has been many years ago when I was a tag along.
    Tom S.

23. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Hi Tom, It was Butch Leal.

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

whew, Thanx.
    I get stuck in recall mode some days and it could take weeks to get out.
    Darn it; now I'm wondering what actually became of the Dabbs car(s).
    Tom

25. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

From what I can tell, that is Jim Pugh's Plymouth. He was from Greenback, TN, a few miles north of Madisonville and was part of the Don Hutton racing team. The track is definitely Double H Drag Strip in Blue Ridge, GA. This video was shot during the Southern World Series of Drag Racing, a big Super Stock event that had racing at Paradise Drag Strip on Friday night, Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip on Saturday and Double H on Sunday. According to a newspaper article, Jim Pugh won the Saturday race at Brainerd, running a 10.89.

26. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Winter nats;)!

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

27. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Is that Nielsen's old car?
    I have had this picture on the PC for some time, just love that car:)

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

28. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Thank you very much for replying! Everything you noted seems spot on. And if you really look hard at the name on the door it does appear to say, "Driver Jim Pugh". Again, many thanks. Now time to find out if that was my buddies car.

29. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  30. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Here's another car that very little is known about. Does anyone remember this car? What powertrain did it have? Does it still exist?

The driver was Ron Powers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013