Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front engine jr dragster (vintage style)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

3. i think that would be cool. my concern is the chain. my kid ran jrs. and i have seen some break. how would you protect the kid.

4. Heavy wall steel scatter shield that encloses the whole cockpit. It would cover the axle and brakes also.

sorry for the crappy paint picture but something like this..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Back when we first started racing all we had was the puny #35 chain that were prone to breakage, now with the #415 chain we now run on the quick, high powered cars chain failures are praticaly non-existant. You can run the brakes outside of the chassis just like a normal FED. For a chain cover you could use some 1/8" thick chrome molly plate, or 1/4" aluminum plate to make a chain box that bolts to the chassis so you could access the chain, and rear sprocket.

6. casper

casper

Okay, am I the only one who would go crazy for one of those Mickey Thompson mini dragsters ?? That picture of Mario sitting in/on one of those is way bitchin.... p.m. me if you have one for sale !!!!

7. That what I was thinking using the #415 chain. And yes I was going to make the cover(s) removeable so I could have acccess to it.

As far as the brake go. I am not sure if they will go inside or outside. I thinking more on the outside just incase of a chain failure. less likely to cause damage to the brake lines. What do you think?

This project is a go from the boss (wife) and my kids are really happy. So I am looking for input. Thanks again for everyones input.

8. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Jr Funny Car at our local track...rear engined...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

b-bop likes this.
  9. edweird

edweird

think of the possibilitys with the funny car.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

If you run the dual mini lite brakes you can run them on the outside of the chassis (the rotors are 6 1/2" in diameter), and if you use a rim with a minimum diameter of 10" the mini lite brakes will fit inside the wheels. Keeping the brakes ouside of the chassis away from the chain along with a good chain cover the brake lines should never get hurt by the chain.

Makes me want to get some tubing, and some parts to build one.

11. http://www.racingjunk.com/Junior-Dragster/2821236/JR-Dragster-Funny-Car.html

Not my ad, nor do I know anything about it other than I tried to bring the pics here but couldn't with my phone.
    Anybody want to grab the pic that would be great.

OK, now -

This one "resembles" a fed and is actually a Jr funny car chassis and will accept a Jr funny car body.
    Let's you run both classes I think.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  13. Thank you for the information on the brake I will look into those. I perfer dual brakes anyways.

I called and got the tubing ordered today. Now I have to design the chassis.

14. That is cool.

15. Well I have the design laid out on paper with all measurements. Metal has been ordered should be here Thursday. Tube bender shorty after that.

Front end is going to be simular to a drilled out I beam front end, keeping with the vintage theme.

-----------------

After I get the kids completed I was looking at one for my self:

http://www.nostalgiafunnycarbodies.com/bodies/comp-sedan.html

now thats the ticket for me...

16. brinks1

brinks1

there is a video of one on youtube under nitrobobminipro its pretty cool i was thinking about doing one of these so i talked to nhra they shot me a email and said they dont see a problem the only concern they had was they chain being enclosed in a shield they also said that a motorcycle or snowmobile engine would work i asked about a briggs v twin and they did not have a problem with that either only for et or bracket classes

17. Do you have a link? I tried searching that user name and nothing came up.

BTW: My wife and I use to stay in St George when we were traveling from Mt Home, ID to California. Really nice town all the red color.

18. 32fenderless

32fenderless

19. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I am looking forward to the build pics. I would love to do something similar with a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. brinks1

brinks1

i already have a engine an axle front end and brakes have my tubing already bent just have to start notching and welding

21. brinks1

brinks1

when my kids where young about 18 years ago a bunch of us folks got involved in the junior drags program here in st george we got our local track to get the eighth mile timing so we could hold races did that until our track closed about ten years ago if we want to race we have to go south or north my grandkids are excited about doing it i have about a year to get them going still have the two original cars i built

22. what engine are you going to run?

23. brinks1

brinks1

briggs v twin when we ran the juniors in vegas one of our friends built a two seater dragster with one in it so they could take the handicapped kids down the track it was pretty fast

24. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

I had one of these as a kid and yes it has an electric start I burned mine out

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. jfrolka

jfrolka

My dad put together a jr.dragster for me in the early 2000's and it was a big hp motor.... we used to grenade them left and right. We pitched rods clear out the block sometimes leaving a dangling upper half. Much like the big boy cars.

Its a little too dangerous to put that motor out front with a kid behind it unless you limited it to a lesser motor. Regardless, if a kid sees his motor explode in front of him or if on gas backfire, they will panic and turn a ugly situation uglier.

My input. Front engines look bitchin, maybe not for kids though, lil dangerous.

26. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

With the engine blocks, and other parts that are availble now, they don't blow up like they used to.

P.S. Build it so you can fit in it, why should the kids have all the fun!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  27. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Re: mini-funnycar:

i am just looking for everyone's opinion regarding something about the mini-funnycar: i noticed that the front wheels are mounted real close to the chassis; Does this affect wheel-cut significantly to the point where it might be a problem? If the car(or any car) did get out of shape where it needed massive steering correction(s), it would probably be best to abort the run anyway..........

2) RE: front engine placement:

Irregardless if these small engines still blow up, if there is a significant firewall---as in the case of a funnycar or altered, why then would front engine placement still be a problem?

28. No I do theirs first I am already planning out mine..LOL

I am not going to use a regular Jr dragster motor, but 2 cycle motorcycle engine 65 or 85cc engine.

29. RPM

RPM

I built this one for my daughter back about 98-99. Jr racing used to be a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]