Register now to get rid of these ads!

Muncie Pro's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcasada, Jan 21, 2013.

1. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Looking at purchasing a muncie M21 from a guy. I am no muncie expert so I am looking to H.A.M.B. members that are.
    The numbers are 3885010 They check correctly as far as I could find, no broken or welded ears, single ring on the input shaft. I can get it for 475.00 with a bell housing and fork for a SBC. Two questions.

1. The best way to check it to see if its worth the money. I know to pull the side cover to check for broken or worn teeth on the gears but uncertain if there is something besides scoring on the snycro's I should be looking for.

2. If it checks out OK is this worth the money in todays dollars. I understand that it worth what someone will pay. I am looking at what they are selling for.

Any helpful information is appreciated. Thanks.

2. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

If you need it for authenticity on a project, then heck yes. If you just want a strong little tranny, then yes again. If you aren't planning on shoving 400 horses through it onto a set of 4.56's and slicks, you could do with a saginaw tranny for much less. IMLTHO

3. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Look carefully at the counter gear in the lower part of the case roll it over and look at all of the teeth. Around $200 for this gear. Look at the front of the case where the counter gear shaft goes in to see if it has been staked with a punch to tighten it up from abuse or being spun. If the syncros "brass" will slide clear up to the engagement teeth on the gear they need replaced. You can get a seal and gasket set for around $150 with new brass and bearings. If it needs rebuilt I would want it to be cheaper than $475 just to cover the price of the rebuild kit. Hope this helps.

4. rcasada

rcasada
    from Missouri

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.