Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead tear down!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigbren, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bigbren

bigbren

I started tearing apart my 53 ford flattie and its kicking my ass a little. I was hoping to get a few pointers.

1. How do you remove sparkplugs that are broken off in the heads?!

2. Lets just start with 1.

I'm a rookie at this, so be gentle.

I will probably have many many questions to come. But damn its fun!

2. F&J

F&J

With the head removed, clean the broken piece with a small wire brush in a drill

then stick a 3/8 bolt in from the outside, but about halfway into the threads.

then from the inside of the head, mig weld the bolt end to the inside part of the bottom of the plug. Use as much amps as you can.

let it cool and it will come right out. Welding will shrink the plug.

3. I guess it doesn't explain much but watch it anyway. :p

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gB8w3AYE_Tc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

mcTim, Very nice movie. You sure move fast. If possible please post photos of the "pickle fork" and valve guide removing tool you used. Thanks. JIM

5. 36tbird

36tbird

I got one of those slam tools that mcTim has for removing stuck valve guides. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm tied up with some other work now, but if he doesn't post a pic of his, I'll try to take one of mine and post it later.

And, surprised that it has not been mentioned yet to bigbren, Acetone and ATF. Do a search.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks, look forward to the photo. JIM

7. I don't have a photo on file so if 36tbird has one post it. I can take one today but it wont get up till tonight.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

OK. When you get time is fine.

9. bigbren

bigbren

Thanks all! I will give it a shot!

10. 36tbird

36tbird

Sorry, in the S. Texas heat and being old (feeling a lot older lately), I have been consumed with a guest house remodeling project. Hence, no time for fun stuff like flathead tools and doing rod stuff. It looks to me like mctim is the man for posting pics and videos so I am betting that he will come through for you guys.

Mctim, different subject, are you gonna be on the salt August? I'm making my initial visit there. Can I look for that yellow peril truck to say hello?

11. I have the pix in my camera but have to step out right now, will post in an hour or so.

Don't look for the "yellow Peril" this year. There's a new kid in town, haven't you heard?
    vvvvv ;) vvvvvv I will be there!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573420

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  12. This is the tool for removing the valve clips.
    [​IMG]

Slip the tab in the slot, there's a knerled cam in there that bites as you pull, get's 'em out quick.
    [​IMG]

Here's the slide hammer for ejecting stuck valve assemblies.
    [​IMG]

Can you figure out how it works?
    [​IMG]

13. Thought you might like this little guy too, spring compressor for putting the valve assemblies together.
    [​IMG]

14. Wow, neat! The slide hammer goes down, and pushes the phallic looking piece down spreading those ramps apart. Where would a a person find something like that, or did you fabricate it on your own?

15. I really don't know where you would get them, lucky day on ePay maybe, they have been at the shop I work for since long before I was there (26 years) and I'll bet my boss bought them before I was born, he just turned 90. They are tools that I imagine every Flathead guy had back in the day, just necessary tools if you were going to work on the V8. Look in grandpa's tool box.

16. 36tbird

36tbird

Yeah, my slide hammer came from my friend's dad who worked at Jordan Ford here in San Antonio since the '50's. I've got the keeper puller, too, but not as adept as mcTim is at using it. Thanks for posting the pics because I was too lazy to get to it.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

mctim64, Thanks for posting the photos. I have never seen those tools before.

18. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Yes, thank you Tim for posting the pictures. Videos great too, you make it look easy!

19. The tools are from "ALL-POWER MFG. CO. L.A. CALIF" that is just how it apears on each tool. The hammer is called a "FORD VALVE ASSEMBLY KNOCK-OUT" the keeper extractor is called a "KEEPER EXTRACTOR" duh! and the other tool is called "VALVE ASSEMBLER". Just thought you guys might like to know.

20. If you liked the tear down video maybe you'd like to see it go back together. Although these are with a 59A and the tear down was an 8BA. Enjoy! :D

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iikq6fcXamk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kpDHpZcKWhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

21. flatty_

flatty_
    from TX

hi everyone
    as you´re talking about Valve Spring Compressors and i´m not really sure about it i would like to know if a KD900 does the job on a Ford Flathead V8?

thank you guys
    F.

22. tig master

tig master
    from up north

This works in a heart beat to remove keepers on an 8ba.You must use the straight jaws as pictures shows not curved jaws.Kd one is not really any good for flat ford.

T

Attached Files:

23. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

loved the early tool pix, they do the same funtion as ones i'v used but look like the improved versions. I had never seen these.

24. flatty_

flatty_
    from TX

thank you TigMaster..
    Which dimension should the Valve Spring Compressor have to fit the Ford Flathead?

25. tig master

tig master
    from up north

It is adjustable set it up and it will do that dimension till you change it.You need to use one to determine the adjustment.

T

26. The KD900 works a treat! I put a wanted ad up on here and Fordbarn and had had a set within a couple of weeks.

27. flatty_

flatty_
    from TX

@cactus: thanks for your opinion i got one too till yesterday..so i will test it :)

28. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but can someone post up a pic of this tool in action? I'm about to start digging into my own flathead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  29. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The treaded rod sets on the head of the valve, the other snaps on the valve spring. Then, using the tool, compress the spring. Remove the keepers. Done.

Neal

30. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

Thanks man, in theory then the whole assembly should come right out the top. I'm guessing that the slide hammer thing is for when a guide sticks.