Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did you take your drivers license test in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Blown35

Blown35

4 wheels was my Dad's 1963 Pontiac Catalina 2dr HT with 421ci, 4sp. State Trooper in a full uniform with a gun on his hip sat with me for that test ((that gun got me very nervous). I was shocked when he asked me to parallel park as I had never tried that before - lucky I just greased it into the spot without a hitch! 2 wheel test was on a Norton 750cc Atlas.

2. Motorcycle exam was in TX. They required someone to come with you in a car. Friend takes car, examiner gets in and says to friend, "follow him (me), if you break a law you get a ticket and he fails." Friend was not happy, but I passed and he did not get a ticket!

3. Took it in a 55 Pontiac Star Chief hardtop.

4. exshelby

exshelby

Took drives ed. in a 4-speed Chevette and a automatic S3 Laguna [swivel buckets!]..like in 1975 [courtesy Spaulding Chevrolet Gt Barrington Ma..]

Took the test in Mom's 72 Plymouth Grand Fury...which BTW was not the only thing I did for the first time in that sled.

5. My mom's 69 Cougar.

6. Chipper

Chipper

1955 Chev Wagon 1st. try. went home and got in my 47Ford Coupe and headed out

7. Burtuckyboy

Burtuckyboy

Mine was in my Mom's 85 2 door Chevette. It was a 4 speed also and only had am radio. We used it on many hood ornament stealing missions during the summer of 1987 all over Flint, Burton and Grand Blanc MI...LOL

8. triumph 1

triumph 1

F150....not such a cool ride, but getting my liscense certainly was cool!

9. cartoon14

cartoon14

1969...hmmm, it was a 68 Chevelle 396 4 sp with Lakewood bars and fatties all jacked up in the ass (jeeze Ii can't believe what we thought was cool back then) it belonged to my uncle and if you can believe it I actually passed with a 90something.

10. I took the test with my dad's 1961 Buick Special Sta wagon w/3 on the tree and power nothing. I took driver's ed. in my senior year in HS it was a 1963 Chevy belair 4 dr w/ powerglide. My dad would not let me drive his car until I had a Jr driver's license. I had only one week to practice on his Buick before the test and it was at nite when he came home from work. Needless to say I passed thefirst time. I tried to convince Dad that I could turn the Buick into a Nomad. When I showed him my drawings he told me to get my own car so I did a 1957 Chevy Belair ragtop!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. I was all set to use my Grandpas 58 Desoto but when I went to get it we found out the battery was dead. I scrambled around and finally my buddy agreed to let me use his car, a 1923 model T HotRod!! 283 with a 30/30 Duntoff cam, Holley 4 barrel, 3 speed on the floor with overdrive. Hand windy wiper. We went through the whole test, I did all the hand signals etc. After I parallel parked it the test administrator looked at me and said "Son if you can drive this you can drive anything"

12. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

65 Bel Air. Totaled two days later.

13. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My parents 1957 Chrysler New Yorker. I had only driven that 392 a couple of times and I wasn't used to the power but my dad had the '49 Ford coupe at work and i wasn't about to wait another day to take my test. Passed the first try and remember how grateful I was for my grandfather having taught me how to drive the farm tractors and his chevy pickup starting when I was 6 years old.

Frank

15. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

The test was in Mom's '72 Chevy Townsman wagon. No problems that I remember. Learned to drive standard in my Dad's company truck (his company), an early '70's Chevy C-10, straight 6 with 3 on the tree, step side with wooden floored bed and the chains that held the tailgate. This one supposedly had a "ralley" dashboard. As near as we could figure, that ment the black plastic housing had a textured finish. The cab on it had 4 different shades of green; this was mentioned to the dealer when he bought it and at subsiquent services. The dealer couldn't see anything. Come time to trade it in, then the dealer could see it and wanted to take more off of the trade, since it had been "damaged and repainted."

16. surfgeezer

surfgeezer

It was my 16th birthday and the car was my Dads '51 Merc. That Fall I started driving to school in my own '53 Merc, good times.

17. Muttley

Muttley

Mid '80's Dodge D50 long bed. The truck belonged to my Grandfather, it was clean but a complete slug. I had never driven a vehicle before that test without power steering. On my three point turn I gently (so gently you almost couldnt even feel it) tapped the curb. After we arrived back at the DMV I asked the woman how I did, she said "You did great except for when you tapped the curb on the three point turn." I was expecting a point or two off......................."Thats an automatic failure." I had to wait another two weeks to take it again. :mad: :mad:

18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I took the test on my 16th birthday in my dad's 0ne year old '56 Ford Victoria. Got a 98 on the test and dropped a pushrod on the way home. Then I blew the rear end a week later.

19. mortecai

mortecai

1963 40 hp Volkswagen Beatle.

20. RickBright

RickBright

1966 Chevy II SS with a built 327 4 speed, a lot of car for a 15 year old. Black with black interior. State trooper was unimpressed, just a day closer to retirement.

I was lucky to grow up in the late 60's and graduated in 74. Going rate for just about any late 60's muscle car was 1000 to 1500.

Rick

21. srt

srt

A 1960 Ford wagon, 3 on the tree. Aced the parallel parking segment! (much to the dismay of my Mom who didn't want me to drive at all)

22. I did mine in a 99 Crown vic, pretty lame...

Had lots of fun in that car though.

23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Took mine in my girlfriends dad's '70 Impala. My mom didn't drive or have a car. The elderly trooper-examiner was a renowned prick, prided on this failure rate. Tried to get me to make an illegal left turn at an intersection, I didn't bite. Passed me and gave me an 80%, whada prick.

24. Ironhorze

Ironhorze

A 1957 VW Micro Bus. My Dad bought the first one off the ship in New Orleans. If my memory serves me right. Love to have it today!

25. 1941coupe

1941coupe

me and a friend took ours in his mom and dads 1955 tri color dodge, black,cream pinkish,,,that was back in 1958...we both passed first time out....

26. raymay

raymay

My dads 60 Chevy 2dr Biscayne. I remember my first lesson at parallel parking with my dad. He would tell you to practice by lightly tapping the bumper of the car behind you to get an idea of how much room you really have. Probably not the best idea but it worked. Try that today and you probably would set off an alarm or airbag.
    Dad was a great infuence and teacher. When my kids learned to drive I thought how would dad teach them. Well I took my kids up to the shopping plaza on a cold snowy Sunday morning and let them practice controlling the car in slippery conditions. Both turned out to be good drivers, not afraid of the winter conditions and they can do some awesome donuts.

27. Moselli

Moselli

Our School Driver's Education Car which was a Seaside Light Aqua, 1965 Rambler Ambassador.

28. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

1956 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.
    Air Base in Spain. My Dad took over as Mgr. of a construction firm, replacing the owners son who had just bought the 300. For import tax purposes, he had to wait three months before bringing it to the States. Told us to drive it ever so often, so I did.

29. bobadame

bobadame

In this in 1964. The officer told me to drive around the block and come around and park in front of the office. He would not ride with me. I paid $300. for the truck. Still have most of it.

Actualy my first test was 2 years earlier at age 14. The liscense was for a scooter, under 6 horse power. I had a Honda 150 Dream that the dealer had fitted with a restrictor between the the carb and the head. Of course I figured out how to take it apart and carefully file out the opening to full size without damaging the lead seal. Suddenly I had 16.5 horsepower. Then I lost my driver's lisence twice before I turned 18.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  30. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

Forgot the rest of the story;
    Was going to a private school in Texas at the time, when I got back, Texas would not accept the Air Force International license I got in Spain, so I had to retest. A Chevrolet dealer in town loaned me a new 56 to take the test with. My Dad, later, bought my first car from that dealer 1957 Bellair.