Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Quain, thanks so much for posting up, your posts get my creative juices flowing! great work!

2. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Quain this is a great thread and you are doing that old Willys proud,pixs of Gene sat in it says it all great work cheers Wayne

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is the panel that will tie the new piece I made yesterday to cover the cowl area to the fire wall and hide the roll bar. There is a curve in it but the pic don't show it good.[​IMG]

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This will give you an idea of what it's going to look like I still have to weld the cowl cover to the body. The reason it's made in 2 pieces is so the body will come off.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A close up. Never mind the fire wall right now I have been sanding some scratches out then I found these bad places. I'll work them out later the fire wall will be polished so it will have to be scratch free when I'm done.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  6. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Quain-
    Let me know if you need measurements off a Jones cable drive tach, to get the bracket made. I have a loose one handy.
    Dave.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Keep on posting, really good work you're doing Quain.

8. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

great build, great pics and great people

9. old injun

old injun

this build is coming along great. Qain your doing a fine job and the pics are great showing all the progress

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I couldn't wait until I got off work tonight to post this Gene just sent it to me, the only know pic of the Moonlighter with the SOHC engine. A good friend of Cromers was looking through some pic and found it and sent it to him. It was taken at a car show at Greenville SC Textile Hall. Gene said he remembers it well. It snowed while the car show was going on had to wait until the snow melted it was 3 days before he could get the car home.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Oh,,, be still my heart?:eek::) HRP

12. elgringo71

elgringo71

:D Wow! I am speechless

13. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Thats cool as can be! Really hope to see it with the cammer and a 4spd in it at some point

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's a great picture! That should help with some of the details.

Is Gene working on the engine at this point?

Is he going to run a Liberty or Jerico transmission?

15. Awesome picture. thanks for posting Quain.

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene and his brother came and spent the day with me today. He brought the wheels and tires so we could do some final set up stuff. The rear wheels are the original one that were on it in the later 60s[​IMG]

Mtn Goat, kidcampbell71 and rottenpop like this.
  17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I sneaked and took this pic of Gene trying to remember where he had the tack mounted 40 years ago.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Gene and Quain, this car, to me, is everything '60's Drag Racing was all about. A fuel injected Willys, with rubber sticking out in the rear. Great to see this coming along. :D

19. Love this thread!!!

20. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

What engine will this be running? I mean, you have the original SOHC or plan on getting one?? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

21. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am pretty sure that Gene still has the SOHC that he ran in the Moonlighter and also has a 427 Ford high riser that he ran in it.

Falcon Gasser likes this.
  22. Bird1777

Bird1777
    from Ohio

Quain,
    It is so good to see that you are doing this. You are surely doing something that will bring memories and tears to those who watched this car back in it's heyday. Gene does look good sitting back in the seat of his hot rod, and, you can see his eyes are tearing up. We need more people like you to do things like this. The history of our sport is well documented, but, some of the folks from it's early days need to be recognized for their contributions to drag racing. God Bless you and keep up the good work.

Mark Birdsell

Mtn Goat likes this.
  23. fordcpe

fordcpe

Boy I bet Gene doesn't sleep much anymore thinking about running this thing again. I get all worked up looking and don't know anyone.Quain will be going to saint hood for this great deed.Keep it going and great job by all the helper to be. Darrell

24. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Quain you did sneak one on me, i never knew it. Ever thing looking great, a lot of fine details.

SOHC427 and Mtn Goat like this.
  25. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Gene and Quain - it is quite special to see an historic restoration take place, for all of us HAMBERS looking on! Even more so, that the original driver is still alive and well to return to the dragstrip with the original gasser for all its glory!! Thank yous cannot be said enough and really cannot wait to hear her rumble again - hopefully one day I'll get to see this gasser in person!!:D

SOHC427 likes this.
  26. txcr13

txcr13

There aren't the right words to discribe this restoration, and the people involved. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOHC427 likes this.
  27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I was going to post some pic tonight of me making of the box for the shiftier. I just finished it up had detailed pic of making it but something happened from my camera to the computer and I lost them I'll post the finished cover tomorrow it's to late to mess with it tonight. Sorry there won't be no details of making it.

28. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Quain, I love to see the progress on this car. Your craftsmanship rocks.

29. Quain has got to be absolutely exhausted,,his last post was at 2.06 AM.

He is defiantly burning the pre-dawn & midnight oil! HRP

30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

excellent build, thanks quain for taking the the time to do all this, and post it to! gene thank you for hanging on to this thing all thes years! like everybody else we all cannt wait to see it move under its own power. hope it can make its way to bowlingreen.