Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Ford Shoebox Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenevez, Oct 27, 2010.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I'm going with Firestone Deluxe Champions (Coker). After driving my buddy's '32 Roadster a few thousand miles (REALLY good friend!) I can deal with the bias ply anomalies. It's a little sacrifice for the right look.

On the other hand, as much as my wife's T Roadster won't look right with radials its getting them. I don't want to worry about her out on the highway somewhere making an involutary lane change.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

the bias ply definitely look way better, sometimes you just have to sacrifice comfort for cool

3. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

^ I gotta agree with both of you. My lady (if i had one) couldn't handle all the quirks of the '50 and i would want her in something safer and easier to drive. From my mushy Muncie, no power steering or brakes, the wandering tires and everything else. However, I go with looks before comfort at this stage in the game, i wasn't fond of the Radial Wide Whites that were available when i was looking.

4. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

It's 30 degrees in AZ so, i was missing my garage. Took apart my horn assembly and carefully cut a circle through some masking paper as good as i could and color match the horn circle to my car paint. check out the before / after

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. daddio211

daddio211

Nice detail!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

^ thanks Hibbs! could always be better. but thats the story of my life

7. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

This weekend took her into the city by the Barrett Jackson Auction was a huge showing at the Pavillions in Scottsdale. On the way there i slammed her into second and Decapitated my Sexy Shift knob. Had to put the Muncie one back on. Then i painted the yellow ugly muncie knob to match the car. And a pic at the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

car looks good. pics are great. sorry she lost her head.

9. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

^ haha, ditto. I superglued her head back on so i can at least lightly screw her back on for shows. :)

Those resin cast knobs can only be purchased by vendors at good-guys shows it seems. i have looked everywhere

10. EBW

EBW

Great pics.

Can you install a thin metal dowel in the neck and head portion to reinforce it ??

11. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Probably. I have always shifted a little more delicate with her. I shouldnt power shifted her head off! The round muncie ball is more like a short shift compared to her.

Here's one better!!!
    The same day (my fuel sender has never worked) i was pouring some fuel from a red container in the tank and the whole clear nozzle slipped off and slid right on into the gas tank! ugh, i guess i can fish it out once i get a new sender. I noticed a lot of people online have done this and just left it in there. Freaked me out!

I got a new sender from Mac's should be here in about a week and i will finally have a gas gauge again and get that damn nozzle out my tank

12. TMoney

TMoney

Lovin that Shoebox man. The color with the chrome wheels and wide whites just works.

13. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Painting the center horn ring to match was a brilliant idea! I may just have to steel that when the time comes for my own car.HAHA Your car is sick man I dig the color and stance.

-Dane

14. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

^ appreciate it Tmoney, you got a hella nice one yourself

15. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks man, it was tricky because once you put masking over it, you can't see the ring to trace it. And that thing is like molded as one piece. I dig it though, it was the first piece of my exterior paint that made it into the car :)

16. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Im still up in the air about colors but I think I want to do a candy inside the car and hopefully something slick on the body. Cant wait to see more.

17. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Finally got a Fuel Sender from Mac's

I havent had a gas gauge EVER in this car. Hope this puppy does the trick.
    Question: Are these pretty straightforward. Looks like one ground wire and then.... ???

18. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Cool Ford! I love the color. Your car caught my eye on the photoshop thread and thought I would look into it, I dig it man! I dont know If ive seen your car at the pavilion in scottsdale, I will have to keep and eye out maybe this weekend to see it up close. I really like the grill on it and the lines, the gauge looks sweet too.;)

19. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks man. i dont get out much, but i was actually up at the Pavillions the last saturday of barrett jackson. i will probably be at the good-guys spring nats though.

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sorry to hear you broke your bottom b*tch. That musta been a big loss! She looked like a handful.

21. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

haha, metaphorically you are damn right

22. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

sh!t. the fuel sender requires modifying the hard straight rod to a perfect 90 degree angle. unfortunately for me as soon as i got the angle almost tight enough this happened! ugh

any ideas?

[​IMG]

23. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

fencing tension wire (the wire on the bottom) is the exact same gauge as that. similar thing happened when i changed the float in my truck. any local fence place should have scraps for dirt or even free. get some cut and bend to the needed degree. awesome car by the way

24. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks for chiming in man. appreciated! funny thing is i am going to my buddy's farm tonight i'm sure he has some :)

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammm I hate when that happens?

26. Seems be be a lot of snafus building a car. Stuff like that takes time and really slows one down.

27. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Really like the color of your SB I hope to do one of these one day just in a full time vert.have you ever thought about getting the back down all the way.i like the link system for the rear.Good stuff man.

Jake

28. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yeah, sucks. but i got a workaround with some wire about the same gauge from my buddy. i will give her another try soon :)

story of my life. things never go as easy as i would assume they do

thanks Jake. naw i'm cool with the height when the rear is all the way down. could go a little lower i suppose but i am really happy with it

29. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

hmm, got this thing on ebay for like $30 over a year ago. says ford "fog" on it.

[​IMG]

30. daddio211

daddio211

Doooo eeeeet!!! :cool: