Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 ford steering wheel on '67 chevy column??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Has anyone used a 1940 Ford keyed steering wheel on a 1967 chevy splined steering column? If so, how did you do it?

Adaptor kit?
    Splice a ford column shaft with the chevy column shaft?

2. badshifter

badshifter

There was a special the other night on TV about this done by some HAMBer. You hack the piece of an "abandoned" IROC in your neighborhood, use a Speedway quick release, and BAM! Done.

3. Since I am using a chevy column, do I still need to use anything from the camaro column? Can I just use this speedway quick release?

4. banginona40

banginona40

If you have the steering wheel from the column you are using, you can cut the center out and weld it in to the '40 steering wheel. That's what i did on my '40. Works great!

5. I'm wondering if I can just turn the splined end on chevy's column shaft down and cut a key slot in?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

With the correct tools yes no sweat. Be sure you mark the shaft before starting so the keyway will be at 12 O/C when everything is back together and the wheels are straight ahead.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

To clarify what you saw. Jesse took a repopped 40 Ford wheel that has a chevy spline and adapted that. He's asking about a real 40 Ford wheel to a Chevy column.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. The repo 1940 steering wheels are only 15". Well, the ones I saw anyways. But I didn't know they use chevy splines. I'm using an original Ford 17" wheel with the keyed slot.

I just saw what Jesse James did with the IROC steering column to mount a 1940 ford style steering wheel. I'm guessing he has a repo 15" wheel with the chevy splines and an early ford column. He cut the splined end off the IROC column's shaft and welded it on his early ford column's shaft? That is my guess.

9. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I got the end off a 40 column and cut the end of the Chevy shaft and machined it to weld it in on the shaft and now I have the tilt and a banjo 39 wheel on my A Model

10. I finally got a 1940 Ford steering wheel mounted on a 1967 C10 column. Limeworks makes a 16" reproduction with an adapter to the Chevy column. Fits perfectly and flows nicely into the Chevy column.

Attached Files:

11. Another view.

Attached Files:

12. That turned out really nice and you're right, the transition looks great. If you don't mind saying, what was the cost from Limeworks for the wheel and the adapter? Thanks.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Limeworks lowered their prices. They used to be $250 for a bare wheel. Now it is only $200. Then add the Chevy adapter for $50, the V8 horn setup for $15, and $16 for shipping, total cost was $281. They even offer optional painting the steering wheel for $100 if you want.

Just remember that this is a 16" steering wheel. Original is 17" and someone else makes a 15" wheel that is already splined to fit the GM columns.

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  14. Thanks a bunch for that info...............................Don.:)

15. Deloc

Deloc

I did almost the exact same thing, '39 Banjo wheel on a GM column. Set up column in a milling machine,cut the appropiate size keyway. It worked out OK. Tappers are close enough to each other that the fit was OK. It has worked fine for 10+ years.
    Also cut off the '39 wheel rim, welded on rim from GM pickup, patched the rim with flex bumper repair material , used leather wheel cover laced on to camoflage the rim.

16. nobby

nobby

what does the adaptor look like?