Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koderboy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Koderboy

Koderboy
    from Monroe ia

I have a buddy looking to sell his 392 with trans out of a desoto.
    1st question whats it worth running?
    2nd will it fit in my 48 Plymouth?
    Thanks in advance

2. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

If it's the stock engine it wouldn't be a 392. The 392 hemi's were in '57-'58 Chryslers. The Desoto had the Firedome hemi. Almost ANYTHING will fit in a '48 Plymouth!

Any complete early hemi has some value. There are a great many threads on the H.A.M.B. that can help you make an informed decision. A Google search will yield some good info as well.

Good luck!

3. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

First off, Desoto never made a 392! Most of the time sellers call an early Hemi a "392", but usually they are not. Parts don't interchange from Desoto to Chrysler and Dodge engines.

4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, if the engine is original to the car it is not a 392. In 1952 - 54 Desotos came with 276's. In '55 they offered the 291. In '56 they offered the 330 and 341 and then in '57 they offered the 341 and the 345.

There is a lot of info here on hemi engines. Search for scootermcrad's hemi tech posts.

Wow, two replies in the time it took to type mine - you guys are fast!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

5. George

George

The DeSoto would be an easier fit than a 392. If you have the original front clip you need a rear sump set up if yours has a center sump. You may have to cut the firewall. My '48(avatar) has a 331 in it with a 73 Cutlass front clip, fits in fairly well with trimmed inner fenders.

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

everyone is right (big surprise) except your buddy. Verify the actual year and displacement of that engine. Even if he gives it to you, you'll need to know what you have before you start casting about for pieces for this installation. As previously advised, the 46-48 Plymouths have room for just about everything short of an Allison V-12. Some transmissions in DeSotos aren't all the much fun - but there are adaptors out there for some hemi engines.

7. George

George

It is possible that someone put a 392 in one, a buddy found one like that! Yeah, I meant to say the OEM tranny isn't anything to get excited about. I'd get a 727 & an adaptor from QEC (73RR here on the Board).

8. 73RR

73RR

1. As much as you are willing to pay
    2. Yes.

No, not trying to be a smartass. Prices vary all over the US, sometimes across the state just due to the local economic issues and population...someone in Dayton Ohio might pay more than someone in Dayton Alabama.
    Also, just how well does it run? What does it look like inside?

The trans is not something 'great' for a hot-rod. Old technology, expensive parts, a bit heavy/bulky. Usable, yes. Ideal, no.

Before you get too deep into an EarlyHemi project have a serious talk with your bank account. Just like the early Cad, Olds and flatheads these are expensive engines to rebuild and very expensive when you start buying 'eye-candy'. If you are on a tight budget then a free or cheap Hemi might start off as a good idea but... if all you require is a v-8 with lots of streetable power then use a 360 or 440.

9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

What they said. Well.....except the part about the 727 adapter. I would use one of mine. :)

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very droll, Tom......:)

Ray

11. Koderboy

Koderboy
    from Monroe ia

Thanks everyone for your advice he dropped a 2500 price tag on a motor that's completely stock and "might need rebuilt... time to go another route.. I like the 440 idea..

12. George

George

A 392 core brings 2,000-2,500. However...where it's probably a DeSoto they go way cheaper, less than a grand, unless it's running & no smoke. There a use code on a flat in front of the valley cover, see what it is & post it.

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

This guy can tell you about 440 in a p15:)

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dndrodshop/index.html