Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the coolest old car you've seen in a junkyard?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Did it have a supercharger?

2. thunderplex

thunderplex

Original 6 cylinder.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. thunderplex

thunderplex

More cool cars from 1/19/2013.

All of these cars and 100s more are available for sale. Contact me for info.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Back in the 90's I had a towing company in Calgary Alberta and I was always hauling junk into the scrap yard . The cars that came into the scrap yards give me nightmares now when I think about it . 1971 cuda convert , older mustangs and Camaro's . Endless number of roadrunners , R/T , GTS and super bee's . Back in the day rust wasnt an issue in Alberta . The new B&J Auction brought back another memory , I was hauling in another big 4 door and noticed a ragtop to the side . Had to get out for a look , 1970 Olds W30 442 Convert . the car was complete and had no rust . The owners manuals in the glove box with a bunch of paper work when it was bought , stupid like , I pried off the emblems , took the air cleaner , owners manual and a few other goodies . I think it was a standard with power windows . My girl friend at the time had a 1969 442 convert , I just chucked everything in her trunk . Anything I wanted to pull off was free , I was a regular and didnt have to pay for those things . What did the one on the auction sell for , $325,000. or something like that . Being a Dodge man , the 71 Cuda convert haunts me now !!!

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  5. thunderplex, I recognize now where you were- gotta hate what that South Cackalacky combination of pine and silt can do to a car. Those Packards and Tri-5 Chevys he has are a crying shame!!!

6. seen bunches - worked at old Fry's place on Vilbig where he had a 1957 Safari in not to bad shape - just wasn't going to let it go cheap - one weekend (he was only open on Saturdays) a door was gone....then it looked like the tail gate was gone....then one Saturday we saw he had put a damn Edsel station wagon on top of it....he did sell a 1957 Buick Caperella? wagon out of there that was nice....

7. knotttty

knotttty

in my area.... and there is a barn full of the nice ones :)

[​IMG]

camcrusher likes this.
  8. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I have a friend who has a yard in east central Mississippi that has a big assortment of Studes, AMCs, Mercurys, a Isreali Sabra, Cadillacs, and the car he bought out from under me 30 years ago, a 60 Chrysler 300F. He's a little gruff, but has a lot of theives robbing copper and aluminum. Harrison's Salvage.

9. This is what my ex would have wanted to do with my cars.....except she would have tied me to a chair and made me watch...She is cast from pure evil....

10. joeb1934

joeb1934

i'd have to say this combo. i'd love to get it for yard art, but.............

Attached Files:

camcrusher likes this.
  11. joeb1934

joeb1934

here's some more.

Attached Files:

camcrusher likes this.
  12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

All I am going to say is I would be in jail for life before I would let something like that happen.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  13. 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham sitting next to a 1964 Eldorado 'vert. The former in restorable shape, the latter in deplorable shape.

14. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

ConceptVehicleDesign likes this.
  15. hallrods

hallrods

1951 two door merc 3 months ago

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

[​IMG]

I never used to be a fan of '57 Fords until I saw this Ranchero. Man, I think this is just a beauty. I suppose it only goes to show my limited vision but just like the Dodge Sweptside above it goes to show that ANY car; with the right owner, can be made to look fantastic.

17. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

55 Chrysler Crown Imperial, very complete, all four tires held air still stands out in my mind from many years ago.

18. BobG

BobG

Looks like an early day ramp truck... maybe someone had visions of going Funny Car racing someday.

19. Ok I got a new cool car sitting in a yard. Not sure its a junk yard but it has several old cars just sitting there grown up in weeds.
    A 1956 or 57 Lincoln Mark ll.I pass by it a couple of times a week. Looks like it been there for years. Thats about the rarest one I have seen abandoned yet.

20. Found this one in an old junkyard. I think it's a rare Model A. Guy only wanted 600 bucks for it. I might go back for it. Like I need another project.

Attached Files:

camcrusher likes this.
  21. Used to see a '51 Merc and '59 Caddy hearse at Elliott's in Tecumseh, IN. Sure there was a lot more at one time or another.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  22. Ha ha You ain't fooling many with that. I think this is the most posted old Ford photo on the internet. I have been seeing it for years.

23. I remember seeing two cool cars. There was a salvage yard in Southgate or maybe Inglewood,on Alameda. We were looking for some VW's and there was a bubble-top Corvette,kinda like the Sonic thing(don't remember the name). Another time we saw a 6-wheeled Space vehicle from a TV show,Lost in Space,maybe. I've tried to find a pic of it but never saw it in anything. Kinda looked like that Van show car with the ramp on the side. Wish I would have had enough money for the Vette. He wanted 4k,which was more than I could afford at 19. The bubble was cracked,no motor anyways.

24. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

I remember all those cars at the "4 corners" and always wondered why nothing was ever sold, cool story though, can remember my parents taking me to the restaurant in Rex's town, thanks for the memories!

25. Well, It was worth a shot. Ford didn't get it right till 34 anyways. Ha!

26. 59 Meteor convertible, 61 Dodge wagon, Fargo sweptline pickup with a bunch of fancy gold trim on it, back in October.....

27. caseyajones

caseyajones

Caseys Dad here---this is my junkyard story. In 1970 I was driving the Dodge Crummie shown here. Picked it up at a government auction for 200.00,pulled the slant 6/3sp column shift out and replaced it with a 383 magnum/torqueflite along with swaybars etc; it ran sweet and strong and liked gasoline, which was .26 per gallon.Along came 1973--gasoline jumped to .53 and I thought the world was coming to an end---I had to drive something different. One Sunday afternoon I jumped over the fence of the local junk yard for the fun of looking at all the potential projects when I stumbled upon a 67 Nova on blocks--wheels and tires removed--straight as an arrow--60,000 miles on it---perfect interior--and the key was in it. I got in fired it up and it ran like a top, smooth and quiet. It had a 194 CI 6/3sp on column. I thought-"what in the world is this thing doing in here"? Monday morning I want back to the yard and asked if I could buy the whole car. He said sure--350.00. One of the best transportation cars I've had. It had a factory posi and I put a 4-speed/Hurst in it. It got 24 MPG and was a lifesaver in those troubling days, I drove the car for 4 years and wish I had it now. Story was that a Airforce man was driving the car from his base in Alaska to his home somewhere down south. He had gotten as far as Oregon but the rear main seal was leaking so bad the clutch was slipping and he had to get home, so he sold it to the junk yard and bought a bus ticket home---my good fortune,----but the world is still coming to an end and at a much faster pace now--keep lookin up!!!
    P.S. I did immediately replace rear main and clutch.

<a href="http://beta.photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://beta.photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. In the 70s I worked at G&L auto wrecking in El Cajon. G&L specialized in 55-57 chevy parts. When you walked in the gate, the first thing you saw was a primered 55 nomad for sale for 500 bucks.
    He also bought old hotrods to part out. We had several old 40s-50s chevy and ford pickups with engine swaps. Lotsa cool chevys and hotords there.
    BTW, the parts delivery truck was a green 60 el camino.
    First cool car I saw in a junk yard was when I was in high school in the mid 60s. It was one of the first factory hotrods...a 37 Buick Century. Had the big 320 cu in straight 8 in the small body [this one was a 2 door sedan] and a heavy duty 3 speed floor shift tranny. This car was backed up to the fence inside Malic's auto wrecking. Was painted a silvery gold color and appeared to have been driven in and shut off. Key was even still in the ignition. No dents, rust, good glass etc..looked totally out of place there.

29. gwarren007

gwarren007

A 55 two door wagon :(

30. 1955 Mercury Sun Valley around 20 years ago. I went back a few years later to see if i could buy it, they crushed everything.....