Register now to get rid of these ads!

Safest way to send money?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeefThunder, Jan 20, 2013.

1. BeefThunder

BeefThunder

So, my girlfriend and I, are going in on 2 buicks, they are around 250 miles away and the seller is willing to deliver, if half of the cost is sent. Which is completely understandable. But my girlfriend is a little concerned with sending near 2 thousand dollars to a stranger on goodwill alone.What are my options on sending this money in some sort of certified, or fraud protected form, if any? thanks in advance! Ricky

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

drive there so you can see the cars before you pay. sounds like a nice weekend getaway for your and your girl.

3. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

4. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

250 miles is not that far........I would drive there and check out everything before exchanging any kind of money. I think you and your girlfriend would both be happy that way.....my 2 cents.....

5. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

this is the best advise, just do it

6. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

X3

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

7. 250 miles is nothing compared to being screwed out of 2 grand,,,go look at the cars! HRP

8. I was just thinkig exactly the same thing. Drive up early in the morning, have a nice lunch go look at the Buicks. Spend an evening in a nice Bed 'n' Breakfast, drive home the following morning.

9. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

10. sololobo

sololobo

Best not send any $ in advance, 2 and a half hours to save a heartache= a bargain!! So much fraud these days Just sayin ~sololobo~

11. Yeah, go there already. I have bought cars without seeing them first and really regretted it. You could be there and back by supper time.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

These days sending money to anyone you don't know is a crapshoot. I agree 100%, 250 miles is a hop, skip, and a jump compared to losing all that money. Plus, you will get a chance to see them before you buy.

I drive that far all the time to drop off or pickup parts I am having done, so it is very doable.

Don

13. Fenders

Fenders

OK so you go there, like the cars, pay the 1/2 in cash.......
    and the seller does not deliver.
    Now what?

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

15. ROADSTERJEFF

ROADSTERJEFF

Wire transfer is better than paypal! But cash in hand and a little road trip is good.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Arrange it so you get there, pay him, and he follows you back. Or, failing that, at least you can scope out the guy and where he lives so you have a little more to go on than just an email or phone call.

We bought a car like that at Turkey Run a few years ago. We spent a long time talking with the guy, built up some confidence he was a straight shooter, gave him a deposit, and he delivered it a few days later like he promised. You can tell a lot by looking someone in the eye vs the computer screen or phone voice.

Don

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Make the trip. Just did an LA to Frisco run for a car trade that was supposedly a done deal. Go and see what your getting for your money.

18. David_396

David_396

He may lower the price since he doesn't have to deliver the car.

19. gassa-garage

gassa-garage

Drive there and look at the cars ! I drove 16 hours straight to pick up/pay for a car I bought on e-bay ...got there and the title didn't match the car (was in someone else name) and the guy didn't have a single piece of paper to show he owned the car. I told him to keep it , drove home , filed a complaint with paypal and got my deposit back . lost $350 in gas but that was nothing compared to what it would have been to pay a shipper and have the car show up with a bogus title after being paid for .
    GO look at the Cars . IMHO

20. slammed

slammed

If you go look, check out the web for other things to do or see. In case the deal falls through.

21. ken1939

ken1939

Sold an item to a bloke in Australia, he paid me via Western Union. Went to my local grocery store with the account number he gave me, and after filling out one sheet of paper, I had my money.

22. indyjps

indyjps

I also suggest looking in person, western union is good, used them a lot before the internet, paypal - set it up on a stand alone credit card, keep it separate from any bank account, the stand alone credit card gives you some level of protection since you can monitor the account for any strange activity since nothing else isrunning thru it, set up fraud protection on the card

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I just did two 6 hour rounds trips in the last two days. If you leave at 5AM you can be back by noon, and get 1 hr looking at the possible prize.

If I would have bought the first one site unseen I would have been screwed. The second one was a pleasant surprise! I now have a new daily driver!

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We drove 13 hours one way one time to look at a 40 Ford. Spent 5 minutes looking at it and drove 13 hours more back home, with an empty trailer. The supposedly rustfree body was anything but. :mad: But the pain of the trip was better than buying a piece of crap that I would have to live with.

Don

25. GTS225

GTS225

I drove roughly 220 miles from Waterloo, IA to Shakopee, MN to look at an older lathe the was (asking) $350. I ended up getting it for $300, but the point is, it's well worth the drive to ensure you're getting what the seller is claiming.

Has there been any talk about what the seller is going to charge you for delivery?

I say, make the drive.

Roger

26. Set-up a time when you can go there look at them, buy them and drive back with the seller. 250 miles isn't that far even for California folks (some of us don't like to travel far:)). I've been to Frisco to look at a car, drove to San Jose twice to get a car for a friend, I REALLY won't buy a car I can't see and touch myself.

27. txturbo

txturbo

This is how the scams go....I would go there in person. You send money and never hear from them again and don't get any cars.

28. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Have you seen pics??? We like pics too.

29. lawman

lawman

It's best not to send money thru anybody named "Vinney" or
    Johnny "The chin"Passacano i New York city !!!!!!

30. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

when ever i sell a car out of state i take a bank to bank transfer . just open a separate checking account to do the transaction and when its all over i take the money out and close the account.