Register now to get rid of these ads!

explain something... single seat racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ed_v, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I have a fascination with the vintage racers of yesteryear. I have had an idea for a one-off scratch build for a while that I doubt I'll ever get to... but it's fun to dream :)

I was looking at the "cyclecars" thread and some pictures of the builds that Dan Webb did for the Golden Submarine and Remington tribute cars. There is something that got me wondering.

On a single seater, obviously the driveshaft goes right down the middle. How are the trans gear shifters set up? I'm guessing on most of the old racers, they used old 3 speed transmissions and the driver shifted between his legs?

If anyone has any pics to share on this type of set-up, it would truely be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

3. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

As they always say... A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thank you,

Ed

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Oval track cars generally don't require a lot of shifting. Front engine road race cars often would often use a offset shifter arangement though.

Attached Files:

5. Dave D

Dave D
    from NJ

Ed,I'm from the Northeast where Dirt Mods are popular.Back in the day racers would take their shifter linkage apart and fabricate individual rods and weld them to the flat stock of the old linkage, that were contoured to be easily reached.Most guys would enter the track in 2nd gear and once the car reached about 35 mph,they shifted into high and left it there until a caution,etc.Normally the green flag at my home 5/8th mile track,was taken in high gear.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Ed

7. Dave D

Dave D
    from NJ

Found an old pic from my old racer that I saved.Here is the shifter in my car.

Attached Files:

8. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Pics of not quite the type of car your refering to but I think it would be very enjoyable to drive it.

Attached Files:

9. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

It's amazing the info you guys have. Thanks.

Ed

10. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Those aren't as far off as you'd think. They do look fun to drive. The car that really has me inspired was Dan Webb's Phil Remington re-creation.

http://webbautomotiveart.com/?myportfoliotype=remington-roadster

Ed

11. That is Edsel Ford's custom built personal car built at the ford plant.

12. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Which car are you referring to?

Ed

13. The red two seat speedster in post #8. Built in 34 I believe.

14. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Nevermind. I figured that you were referring to the 1934 ford 40.

Ed

15. Actually, Edsel Ford and Bob Gregorie had the Triplane plant guys build it- the story is that they weren't all that busy in the midst of the depression :D

16. Triplane plant was still a ford plant.

17. Yes, but it certainly wasn't made at the car plant- Henry would've had a cow!

18. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

My '33 jalopy probably isn't the style you're talking about, but the driver sits in the middle of my car, with the shifter between the legs. At tracks around here back in the flathead days, drivers would almost always keep it in 2nd gear. I know of quite a few cars that had "hooks" welded onto the dash- once you got into second, you would hook the shifter in there so that it wouldn't pop out while you were driving.

My Dad has some other old race cars, and their a mix between sitting in the middle, and sitting on the left.