Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some Old Ford gets some long overdue attention (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hvywrench, Apr 12, 2012.

1. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks, Jeff! Had the road to myself this morning on the way to work, what a pleasant start to the day. Had forgotten what FE torque felt like and there wasn't a single car on my side of the road.
    Not at all like last night where some knob in an Audi station wagon passed 3 cars on the right at a light-controlled intersection and ducked in front of me...almost clipping my passenger front fender.
    I'm pleased with the temporary engine.
    I should have some pics from Lime Rock this weekend.

2. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

The 427 has served it's time and will be bailed out of machine shop jail next week.
    First order of business will be to bolt everything on and get it on the run stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The most impressive engine Ford ever built in my opinion. I have had a few in the past. I think they are the best looking dressed out with the factory air cleaner and associated parts.

4. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I agree about the look. I'm trying to improve the looks of the engine compartment without going overboard. Didn't restore or replate the carbs, air cleaner is not polished. I'm hoping that clean and painted does the trick to balance the crusty container it will be in.
    Really looking forward to getting this in and driving it now that it is finally built properly.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

HA HA HA

My kinda guy!

Keep it rolling Bill!

6. SOHC427

SOHC427

Bill,

Looking real good! I love that Ford.

I might have a extra set of the 64 dog dish caps, floating around if you need.
    Eric

7. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks, Eric! I've grown attached to it myself.
    Thanks for the offer of the hubcaps, if you care to PM me we can discuss it.
    I got the 'real' engine out of the shop a few weeks ago, but between hurricanes, nor'easters and such, all I did was hang some of the goodies on it in order to take a picture or two.
    Maybe Thanksgiving weekend will have a bit of time for me to mess with it and get it started (**crosses fingers***)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not likin' the blue cap too much, couldn't find a black one for the quick pics.

8. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Well, it took almost a year, but I finally fired my 427 on my run-in stand last Saturday evening.
    It lit off on about a half-turn and I ran it for about 25 minutes with no problems at all.
    The crappy sound from the two cameras doesn't do it justice, but it sounds pretty good.
    I have a couple bugs to work on, but basically it lives once more.
    Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEqbRB22XBw

9. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

10. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Man that thing sings!!! Well done sir,well done

11. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Thanks for posting. I have seen your video in the past and absolutely loved it. It really struck a chord, as I have a 63 1/2 500 XL that was purchased new by my dad. Many years later it became my first car. Still own it. Originally a 390/Cruise-O, I put a 428 in it years ago. right now I getting the peices together for a 427 based stroker(482). Will be detailed like a 427 Medium riser 2x4. Can't wait to get it back on the road. What cam do you have in yours, sounds like the factory 425 horse? Anyway, sorry if I rambled. Keep posting, can't get enough.

12. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks for the comments.
    Yes, that is the stock Ford "AA" solid lifter cam from the 425 R-code version.
    My guess would be that it is the original cam that came with the engine.
    I haven't changed it since I owned it.
    It was in good shape and makes enough power for my needs, plus I wasn't in the mood for a new cam break-in with all the horror stories I've heard about cams these days.
    I love that sound

Very, very cool that you've kept your Dad's car all these years.
    Good luck with the new engine build!

13. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

What is the latest with some old Ford?

14. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Well, I've been having a lot of "life" going on and the Ford hasn't progressed much since I ran the engine on the stand.
    Have been waiting for some dyno time just to see what the numbers are, still waiting on that. I thought it would be beneficial to put a load on it and do any tuning that was indicated.
    Had to find a new place to live so I've been doing the house-hunting/offer/buying routine.
    I think I finally have a house with a garage of my own for the first time ever. That will be good! Naturally, the garage isn't big enough, but they never are.
    Dug my O/T 4x4 out of storage to help me with the moving ordeal and that was a nice distraction, but now that needs a few things to be 'right'.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/76346/thread/1368309380/Out+of+storage+after+2+years

So progress has been slow.....or stopped, depending on how you look at it.

15. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know how the "life" thing goes...only mine is different from yours. I am sure you will get back on it soon enough and it will be worth it in the end.

My 64 390 has recently developed what sounds like a vacuum leak but I cant find it...what I did find was anti freeze on the drivers side of the intake manifold..."life" has kept me from digging into what problems I might have to fix.

Good luck house hunting...or shop hunting with a place to sleep...

Looking forward to an updated video.

16. James427

James427
    BANNED

I've got a soft spot for the FE's.... Hence my name on here... :) Love the 427

17. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

Thanks! I'm glad that I didn't lower the compression, it has a nice crisp 'bark', just as it should. Adding a bit of race gas will be worth it to keep the sound. Those engines really do have their own distinctive sound.
    Now I just need to get it back in the car.....

18. hvywrench

hvywrench
    from N.W. Conn.

I have been running around with the 360 in the car for a long time now and kinda hated to take it out. It did a good job of dragging the car around and was pretty low maintenance. Had plenty of torque down low and sounded pretty good as well.
    But, the 427 makes the car what it is so today I made the swap, it was a long day.
    From this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

I had it on the dyno before I put it in, just wanted to make sure that it made the factory numbers, nothing exotic about the rebuild.

19. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Looks and sounds great.
    [​IMG]
    Here is mine.