Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door popper question(the spring loaded ones,not solenoids)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Finnrodder, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I tried to search,but i got a lot of information about door popping solenoids.But i am not interested of them at this time.
    I am going to use Lincoln pushbuttons on my shoebox,i think the door will need a little extra push to get it opened when pushing the button.I havent never put any door poppers any cars,so these things are new for me.
    So,where to mount them,do they work if they are mounted near hinges?
    And who sells good quality spring loaded poppers?
    I am trying to avoid that made in China crap.
    Thanks!

2. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

I don't know about the manufacture but I do know from my expreience that they gotta be mounted farthest from the hinge. The ones ive used bolt through the sheet metal on the rocker/door jamb area and just have a little post sticking out. Ive heard of adjustable one for more or less spring but never seen them. But the bottom corner is the usual spot that I've used as far as location goes. and most stuff is probably gonna be china crap so just buy through a quality supplier and you should be ok.

3. customrod48

customrod48

I have mine mounted on the hinge side of the doors, on my '50 shoebox. I have mounted them at the same location on other cars with heavy doors as well. You can mount them as Falcon-61 states above as well. Make sure you get a set that has the most adjustment possible. It doesn't take much push to pop them open.

The key I have found is to make sure your stock latch releases competely, so the popper is only moving the door, not pushing the door free from a stuck latch.

Most hot rod shops have them. You will find adds in the rod rags.

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for your answer fellows.I think that near hinge location is best choice for me.I want them so invisible that is possible,shoebox rockers design just doesnt give much choices.
    It doesnt have to blew the door wide open when pushing the button,just a little extra push is enough for me.
    My latches work fine,but the door just need some extra punch to get it open because i have shaved doors.

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

6. my shoe box has 2 or 3 in one door and it does
    move open

got another car that don have them and i just pull the door open when poping

some have a very long stroke too

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I found a pair of poppers from ebay.They are not pricey,they have a brass pistons with brass bushings,so they dont get stuck because of rust etc.But they are not an adjustables.I guess i have to think what to buy..