Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Switching gears. A vintage Camper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Nitcat

Nitcat

Nice! My Shasta project is a '62 also. I'c live to see pics and learn how you did the air conditioner install. I found a turquoise stove, vent and sink on Craigslist, still working on the interior, replumb the propane and sink then I need to find a pair of wings. Here are some pics of mine - I've been collecting old water slide decals for the windows too. ImageUploadedByTJJ1358106998.709654.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1358107013.927053.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1358107029.588662.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1358107039.452731.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1358107049.646906.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Wholy shit, you have excellent taste. All 3 of these are super cool. I can only hope to aspire to a vintage Airstream someday. THANKS for posting !!!

LOVE the turquoise appliances, sooooo cool. Ill post some more pics of the A/C and interior after I get it home

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Brought my Shasta Camper home yesterday. Pretty much done except for upholstery and a couple little pieces and decals that are missing. Also found someone that is remaking the original style round taillights, so the out of place rectangular ones will soon be replaced. Here's a few more pics without upholstery. Gary

Attached Files:

4. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Here's the upholstery material. Gary

Attached Files:

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice project - I like it !

6. can you share the place that has the tail lights? thanks

7. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That sure looks good.. Thanks for sharing the process pics. Cool to see what it took to get where it is now

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Awesome!
    Looks fantastic.

9. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Vintage Trailer Supply. They have lots of good stuff for vintage campers. Gary

10. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Yep both very cool vans, your sons is a cool looking little camper.

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just start from scratch HRP. We did our "Tini-Home" canned ham last winter, it'd have been just as easy to start from scratch. All I used was the frame and axle. Everything else is new.

Brian

12. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man that thing reall looks nice. I have always liked them myself and I thought I wanted one till I saw what somebody said on here just a few days ago. It was something about towing "anything" behind vehicles that are HAMB friendly and have insurance on them. If you were to get in any kind of accident the insurance would not cover you. I would sure like to think that they are wrong about that but that would now scare me from wanting to tow something like this behind a HAMB friendly vehicle. Tell me I'm wrong so I can look for one like this.....

13. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Insurance was not an issue for me. I have both the 68 chevy truck I'm going to pull it with and the camper insured with Grundy for stated value. Gary

14. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Wow, that little Shasta is gorgeous!

My neighbor just started a vintage camper project. He's going to make it a motor home behind a '41 COE. More ambitious of a project that I'd be willing to tackle but it makes me smile whenever I see it, just like this one did. Thanks!

15. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

still looking for one my self, almost had a scotty Highlander but missed it by one day, Love to find one to tow behind my truck or my wagon.. Kids just love hanging out in Grumpys when we are at a show...Very nice find...

16. Brian,I followed you last build and I have given it some consideration. HRP

17. Nitcat

Nitcat

It's looking great, nice choice on the upholstery. Can you provide any details on the installation of the microwave, fridge, and A/c unit? It looks like that round outlet next to the door is for venting the A/C?

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Lookin' good Gary...Dan and I had been looking for something similar to tow behind our Cadillacs as a way of getting around the money-killing motel prices on our long distance trips...we found a couple of nicely restored small units but there were two problems with a trailer -gas mileage in my Caddy would suffer even more pulling a trailer and no A/C in a trailer...and when I go to the Midwest rod-running, I have to have A/C to sleep at night...we abandoned the idea...guess we'll pay the motels for their A/C...!!!

R-

20. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Oh man, I think I found my next project. Very cool

21. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Awesome man, very cool trailer....good job...I need one...

22. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

23. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Wings, they weren't attached in the earlier pic's. Gary

Attached Files:

24. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Looks great. I love my little Shasta (see profile) And it was a really fun build.

25. Hot-rod-roadster. Too cool. I've been lobbying for a similar setup (my 64 wagon is set up for towing) but the boss thinks something newer.. She hasn't won yet. I'll probably just buy one and she'll be stuck with it, and like it.
    Nice wings too

26. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Micro is just framed into the cabinet, same with the fridge then ran LP lines and 110v power to it. The round vent by the door is for the furnace but we also used it for the A/C. Then had a 1 1/2 deep drip tray made with a drain out through the floor and that sits under the A/C unit

Thats pretty cool, kind of a modern version of a retro camper. What kind of money are they ?

Thanks R, I can see where gas could get ugly for you. Im like you as far as the AC. That was the first problem addressed before this even got started. I had to have AC but it had to look sanitary. not sticking out of a window or sitting on top. I think this little unit will freeze us out

27. SWEET!!!!!!! Nice work!!!

28. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Finally finishing up my little camper puller ( 68 Chevy ) Rebuilt motor, new upholstery and gauges cleaned up a bunch of wiring, new tires, new front trim and repaint grill area, hours an hours of scraping degreasing and power washing the underside and engine compartment. Repainted the engine compartment and dash. Its just about ready. need to install the new tunes, glove box and new wing windows.
    Then put on the new tailgate with Chevrolet script ( Hiboy 32 is finishing up the body work on it for me ). Paint still sucks but its gonna do for this year.
    We be Vamping this summer !

Attached Files:

29. BadLuck

BadLuck

awesome job.. by far the coolest trailers! im still working on my 60 Shasta..

Attached Files:

30. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Oh man thats cool. Have you had it long ?
    I've still got a few things left to do on mine. Found some original style tail lights , some Shasta decals and gonna paint the appliance's turquoise. Im also looking for an original cabinet door 23 1/2x19 or bigger if you know anyone parting out a vintage trailer... Shasta's are the coolest :)