Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saved 47 Super

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by YoungAdmirer, Apr 22, 2012.

1. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

So I thought I should finally start a build thread for My 1947 Buick Super, A fellow Rodder had this for sale here in town, so one day I went out and had a peek at it out of curiousity. Sometime later I learned that the car was to sent for scrap as he was cleaning out his yard and no one had taken interest in the car. Well I couldn't let it go to scrap so, a quick run home for trailer and and a loading in the dark and it was here in my yard. Here is a few pictures as was posted online

[​IMG]

And on the trailer on way home, gas station was only good light to take a picture

[​IMG]

So now that the car was in the yard, and me being me the car started to grow on me and I decided what the heck, I will build up this one ( meaning truck project, also here on HAMB was on hold). Now just by chance a suitable candidate for a donar chassis just happened to be down the street from me. So this too made it to my yard, I know not HAMB freindly but is alot cheaper for me to go this route then to keep factory frame.

[​IMG]
    There was only 1" difference in the wheel base and of course truck frame a bit narrower but at least I had a starting point. So first thing was of course to get it all cleaned out both car and truck. Truck I took all the wiring out plus brake booster and pedal assembly, need the electrical ends to use on new harness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then few weekends later and some cutting the body was on the truck frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After trying to cut trunk just what I needed out was easier to cut entire trunk out rather then replace pieces all over.

[​IMG]

Then trip out of town to grab these so that all rims matched and something to roll on.

[​IMG]

2. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

So now I had to go dig out a fender to hang on the car so that I could center the body on the new frame. I went by centering the front wheel in the fender because the rear wheels will be hidden by the fender skirts and won't able to notice the difference of a 1" shorter wheel base. Pictures the body not centered yet just wanted to get a look of it outside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I spent the weekend building and welding on new body mounts. And body now attached to the new frame. Now because the the rear end in the truck is smaller I had a bit of a problem, the inner fender in the back the edge of the sheet metal was right in the center of the tires so a wheel tub had to be done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One side is higher then other because it was the second one I did and I pulled the new inner fender down further into the car but will be fixed once rebuild trunk.
    Next weekend I mounted the brake booster, then had to rebuild the pedal assambly as is supports the booster, steering column and has the brake pedal all in one.
    Last weekend was spent pulling the motor out of the donar truck that made it to my yard off a buddy of mine. I will be running a 305 sbc, with turbo 350 unless once the truck sells a 700r4 comes up. And thats pretty much where I am now, I know took me a bit to finally sit down and get this all written out but will keep updated now as they come. Last is a quick photoshop I did of the car minus flat black color that kinda shooting for.

[​IMG]

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I can't help but start humming "I've got a 48 buick and it's olive green" :lol:

good save!

4. raidmagic

raidmagic

Looks pretty painless so far. Nice work.

5. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

Update time, I know I have been slacking updating my build thread. I have been busy though working on the car past few weekends and even some nights after work. So first update is getting the motor put into the car, with the bolt in kit this made it alot easier, even stock oil pan clears got to love it. Them after motor was in had to get 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts out of the head, not my doing might I add, this was not fun but at least had lots of room to work. Finally after much work, got holes cleaned out and rethreaded for new headers and bolts.

[​IMG]

Header specific for this sbc into this frame as can see from the steering shaft through the header, these fit really nice very happy, hopefully work good too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now how is the for ease of access to work on this motor going to look small once the front clip on.
    This pictures also have the shifter linkage made up.

Now last weekend was spent installing new tank, 69 mustang tank to be more specific. So will be trunk fill of course once the new trunk pan is in will plan the filler. Pictures show the work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats where sits as of tonight until work begins tomorrow and being long weekend I hope to get quite abit done. Also remembered to take picture of this on the door...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How cool is that survived all this time up here in the northern winters. Updates as get finished stuff

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool project , looks like its coming along well ,

7. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

Thanks, ya I am pushing hard a I can to hopefully drive this summer.

8. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

So thought do a little update for past week. First is the start of new trunk pan, taken from the box of the sonoma, hey free sheet metal right.

[​IMG]

Drive shaft taken apart and painted and new u-joints and I got lucky with sbc and 700r4 in the drive shaft fits no shortening need, bonus for me.

[​IMG]

Start of smooting out firewall, the box in the center there is where I am going to use the "though firewall plug" off the sonoma so that if I ever have to take front clip off etc I can just unbolt it there. Planning ahead I always try to do.

[​IMG]

Start to mount new Rebal Wiring harness.

[​IMG]

Origional Gauages as they supposed to be in the dash.

[​IMG]

And my work station after work taking the guages to clean up and to turn into electronic insetad of mechanical.

[​IMG]

And finally todays work getting stuff ready for scrap run and yard cleanup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I like the use of the truck bed as a floorpan. Looks nice and clean.

10. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

Ok so update time, I know I am little behind on keeping you guys updated. Not in any order...

Wiring inside car cleaned up abit.

[​IMG]

Rear end was taken out, opened up checked ( 3:73 gears) cleaned out new fluid. outside all cleaned up and painted, new everything for brakes, even lines up to the frame. New shocks and u-bolts. Sorry for bad pic.

[​IMG]

All the front brakes look at, cleaned and also new brakes lines(both cracked) everything bleed and checked.

My shifter linkage had to be changed around as I had the gear selectrer in 1st instead of park when set it up guess I should have googled it first hey.:rolleyes:

Then my neighbour came over and with the exhausted I saved off the donor chevy truck, new exhaust on it, we made it from the headers all the way back to just in front of the rear end, so not bad saved abit of money there and could always run it like that for a bit.
    Also that weekend got the new rad put in, after few hours on internet, looking at sizes and inlet, outlet spots I came to pick this one. I know it is lower then the motor but to fit in the space I had with with the fenders and hood on my car like it is had to be done this way. So I put the filler in the top rad hose, as the radiater I picked has no fill actauily on it, see pays to do little research.:D

[​IMG]

Now for something I am sure you guys will like and a big moment to getting closer to the road, plus this last week papers now in my name woohoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4ZGMGzQfc&feature=plcp[/URL]

Pushing hard to drive it at least once before snow flies.

11. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

12. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

I didn't know was that far behind in updating my build, Will let pics do the talking hopefully in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bumper needs to be narrowed

[​IMG]
    Trim holes to be filled in(missing pieces)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Still needs work done I know.

[​IMG]
    Rust converter solution turned it a bronze color kinda of cool I thought dries black though

14. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crude way to do it, I know but will work for now.

[​IMG]
    Rear seat frame covers.

[​IMG]
    Speedo just for now until get proper looking one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats where I was and was stoked to get it to this point and drive it. So here the story on way to hot rod breakfast to show everyone in town for first time make it part way and start getting a bad noise near back of car, pull over in parking lot can't really see anything so thinking my driveshaft is hitting seat pan after putting in lower blocks in back, so limp it home. jack car up fix seat pan with small clearance tunnel and then find this.

[​IMG]

Brand new steady bearing no good, thankfully the hoop held together to get it home yikes. So driveshaft out again and new one put in.
    So thats brings you all up to date sorry for the time span. I drove the car like that for few weekends and to work once just enjoyed it then had to put it away for winter. Plans are to finish the last few little things, build a roll pan for the back, finish rust repair under the doors on outer rocker, finish metal work, ready for paint. Narrow bumper tighter to body ( this bumper off 53 buick) smooth bumper out, new rims and tires something to match better. lower car in front and back more. get back seat sorted out ( also to be narrowed) and drive it with big fat smile on face all summer :)

15. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

Wow I am been slacking, sorry to keep you guys in the dark, been super busy. How car is when put it away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ehDr3jKwk

P.s. sorry for bad quality was little late in day and on cell phone.

16. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool project! I know a lot of guys don't like the s10 frame swap, but it works perfectly for a build like this. I'm sure you can drive it anywhere. Good job

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Cool project! Yeah, maybe some people on here don't like the S-10 swap, but hey, you still saved a peice of old iron from the scrapper! Thats always a plus in my book...

18. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

19. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! A better choice would have been to retain the original chassis, adapt the S-10 rear axle, hangers and springs in the rear then subframe the front. That way you could have adjusted the wheelbase as needed and you wouldn't have had to butcher the rear seat area or the trunk. Something to think about next time.

20. ya saved it! you sure have some ambition i must say, great job so far!

21. jesse1980

jesse1980

Comin out pretty nice

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Good job. Youve done some great stuff there.
    I had a 49 and those cars are as big as a bus.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Tremendous job man, terrific deal saving one of those classic Buicks. Should be a blast cruzin it. Congrats ! ~sololobo~

24. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

You're a good person for saving a nice Buick sedan like that. With less than a year and some ingenuity you've got a rolling classic and its all yours. Good save and best of luck with the next cruise season. Drive the wheels off that thing.

25. tinmann

tinmann

I hope you solved your lack of workspace problem, Tyler. Hope to see you cruising when all this white stuff goes away.

26. Your Buick is too cool! Great project.
    Exactly how are you converting the gauges - keeping the original faces?

27. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great job man saving this old Buick! It's looking really good!

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, Great to see that you saved a car that otherwise probably would have been lost and this time around the S-10 swap looks like it worked pretty well. I'd have moved the axle back on the springs and centered it and maybe swapped it for a 4x4 axle that is a bit wider but with the car being low with skirts the narrow axle doesn't show that much.

That should be a great cruiser when you get it finished and on the road.

29. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Looks good, man you work fast