Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Chevy 210 Handyman inheritance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HandymanMan, Jan 19, 2013.

1. The floors are rotted probably because it's been in storage on a dirt floor for 30 years.

My advice is go ahead and pull the motor. It needs to come out to do the floor pans anyway. Put the 409 on a stand and pull the heads so you can use some 240 wet or dry and WD40 and clean the bores up, then start working it back and forth till she turns over well. If you are careful you shouldn't do any damage to the ring-lands or break a ring, and by cleaning first the rings won't be full of rust and crap.

Yeah, I know, it most likely would break loose by rocking it, and would be alright, but I think this would be better, and while it's out you can give it a rattle can rebuild.

2. lawman

lawman

Thank's for the great picture's and story !!!

3. devilleish

devilleish

Don't forget, the 265 the car was built with was a small-block Chevy before it was called that and was, at the time, one of the hottest new engines out there.
    The 409 is badass for sure, and if you can find a way to keep it, do it! My point is don't let anyone tell you that a small-block Chevy would be an insult to that car.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

I know for sure that an SBC in that car wouldn't be an insult, and I had drooling visions of a 383 or 406, all painted up in complete Chevy orange with Chevrolet-script valve covers, a Weiand intake with all the lettering filled in with J-B Weld and painted, (an old sleeper trick I use), and the hole drilled for the intake-mounted oil filler tube, a nice Q-jet...basically a torque monster done up to look like an original 265 or 283. I love sh*t like that!

But, yeah, as was said, I have to yank the motor anyway to do the floors, so I'll try the various suggestions given (thanks everyone!!) to break the motor free, and if it's a no-go, I'll stick it in the corner on an engine stand and find a junkyard 350 and a SBC bellhousing, and run 'er that way for a bit. But the 409 deserves to stay, I suppose. If it does break free, new gaskets and an oil pump won't be too pricey, and I think I have a few decent Q-jets kicking around here...

5. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

I must say that there are visions of straight axles and fenderwell headers dancing through my head too...but I don't think I'm THAT hardcore...:D

6. Grumbler

Grumbler

The funds issue is understandable, We've all been there or are there.....but like most of the other posters I'd try to hang onto it IF at all possible, 409's just aren't ANY engine, they have a mystique that makes them special like hemis and not just because of the beach boys

7. devilleish

devilleish

I'd run a 348 or 409 if I could find one that I could afford to buy and build. Fortunately I have my original 265, although the temptation to rebuild and use the 1962 Pontiac 389 I have squirreled away is huge right now.
    You may get lucky and only need a re-ring and some new bearings & gaskets. This car as a whole has me intrigued no matter which way you go and I'm staying tuned for progress.

8. Great project, with a great family history.
    I would definitely keep the 409 lots of parts available now very cool motor
    your father picked for the wagon, keep it in the family you won't regret it !!

VERY COOL.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just a FYI, the bellhousings all have the same block bolt pattern; SBC, W-Motors, BBC, and the late 194-215-230-250-292 sixes. I'm curious too about the power steering box and setup; never seen anything like that before. What was used for motor mounts? Although I've never had a 348-409, it's always been a dream; I'd do anything, and every thing possible to keep the 409, and not put any money towards a temporary engine. What better tribute to keep the 409? Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

My father in law was pretty crafty; it's actually a power steering pump from a'70s diesel Mercedes Benz! It had me scratching my head a bit too, but my mother in law said it worked like a charm!

The 409 is mounted up actually with a Hurst bar-type motor mount. Pretty cool; I'll get pics if anyone wants to see it.

11. Babyearl

Babyearl

I will have to agree with all the save the 409 guys,, Your father in law sounds like my kind of guy,, had the right idea with the 409. If you have a driver car now, I see no need to get in a hurry with the wagon, let the kitty build up and break the 409 loose. And by the way,, Welcome to the HAMB,, great intro.

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Cars has alot of parts for 55, 56, & 57's, mostly sheetmetal and interior stuff.
    http://www.carsinc.com/

13. Butch M

Butch M

cool car I have one and I love it

14. indyjps

indyjps

If that 4 speed is a catalina only item, I'd sell that first and pick up a tko500 or richmond 5 speed, you don't mention rear gears that would be the deciding choice. The 409 is so cool in that car, the 70's swap makes it part of the history of the car. BUT, if the choice is to keep the 409 and have the car sit forever due to no funds then maybe it has to go to fund the build

15. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!!!

16. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

Here are some shots of the power steering/motor mount setup, for all those curious...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and just so you guys can appreciate Dave's sense of humor, here is a copy of Dali's "Persistence of Memory" framed by a '31 Model A radiator surround. He did that because both the Ford and the painting were made in the same year!

[​IMG]

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Quadrajet introduced in '65 on certain Chevrolet engines (one for 396 engines with automatic, the other for 396 engines with manual trans). In '66, it was expanded to more Chevrolet engines as well as Buick and Olds. Cadillac and Pontiac started using quadrajets in 1967. (source of my information: How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors by Cliff Ruggles)

My first car, a '66 Caprice 2 dr hdtp with a 396, came equipped with one. I bought it from the original owner in 1973.

Since 409s were last offered in '65, it's likely it did come with the 4GC or a Holley rather than the Q-Jet.

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If you put a small block in that car, you'll be able to tell everyone "Yeah, my father-in-law built it in the '70s and put a 409/4speed in it, then parked it for 30 years, then I got it. The 409 was still in it, but I yanked 'em out and dropped in this small block."

Do you REALLY want to be that guy?

-Brad

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Good pics! The mount is obviously a Hurst item; the frame mounts are the same for the BBC conversion, but I believe the engine mount saddle is slightly different. How about some pics of the steering BOX itself; from above and below? The whole setup looks well thought out, the parts used are the curious thing. It could be an alternative to the 605 and 500 boxes now being used in the Tri-Fives. I've heard most guys who did a W-motor in a Tri-Five recessed the stock steering box into the frame for clearance purposes. Thanks. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. HandymanMan

HandymanMan

56sedandelivery...you got it! I can get part numbers off the pump and box too.

21. jesse1980

jesse1980

Very very nice project.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It now runs 3 deuces. Not your average 57 Chevy!

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Way back in about 1967, I was looking at a 57, model 150 Business Coupe, that was for sale for $800.00; the guy had a 425 HP, 409 in the car, along with a 4-speed, and some lower gears. He would'nt sell me the car as I was just 16, and he thought it was too much car for a "kid". He was probably right, but it's the closest I've ever been to having a 409. I still drive by the house it was at almost daily, and every time I do I remember that car. Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Washington state? What city did they move from in Washington? If the wet west side - that explains the rusty floors. Heck my wagon came from the dry east side - and it still has a little rust.

If it was driven coast-to-coast then parked - it will run again. Once it's spinning be sure and pull the valve covers and check for stuck valves. Something I did not do on my inherited Dodge Dart station wagon last Summer that sat outside for 21 years. I got it running and driving within a month or so with new carb, plugs, wires etc. Brakes upgraded to front disc and everything new down to stainless steel brakes lines, plus wheels and tires. But it had a good miss. Turns out one exhaust valve is stuck wide open.

At any rate - take your time as monies are available. If you make a list of parts needed - you will see in today's dollars it will not be cheap. On a budget will takes years, if not decades. Those front motor mounts look very good.

That engine made my heart skip a beat..... Keep the 409! Even if the 409 is kept in a corner of the garage, keep it.

;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Handyman,
    Here's a link to the truck and car shop of Orange,CA. They carry lots of parts. The link is below. By the way, did you know there's a song called "Handyman" by Jimmy Jones? Check it out on youtube.
    http://www.truckandcarshop.com/

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Along the same line, there's a Neil Young song called, Sedan Delivery; several guys have felt the need to bring that to my attention. Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Cool Wagon!!! We bought and restored a 56 handyman in the late 80's. Ours has a 300hp 327 and muncie 4 speed. I would look into one of the full repop floors that come with braces. I havent installed one but over on trifive.com there are pics of a full floor replacement. They say it is less work and welding than putting in all of the patches-braces and I believe it. Another vote for not letting the 409 get away because they are very hard to find in any condition.

28. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Handyman, love your longroof, great family project. I vote for the 409, but maybe an auto so the wife can drive it too. Facebook has a trifive sedan delivery/ longroof group. Good luck with the wagon whatever you decide to do.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/242345119180771/

29. I like the 409 idea, rebuild her and get back on the road!

30. T Weed

T Weed

I think that steering box is the old conversion outlined in Classic Chevy international from the late 70's-early 80's where you use the pitman shaft from your original box and the shell of the 605 box and also about 4 inches of the shaft shell as a mount to the frame. I followed this years ago and it worked very well. Hardest part was finding the rebuild kit for the 605 box for the seals etc...