Register now to get rid of these ads!

exhaust tinging noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Jan 20, 2013.

1. edweird

edweird

i took the flowmasters off of my dads stude and replaced them with no name glasspacks i had laying around. damn it sounds good!, but now it makes a intermittant tick tick.............ting ..........TING!........tick while your are driving. then after you shut it off , its still ticking and tinging 1 hour latter.its a 350 chevy. ceramic coated headers with the pipes run out the rear.i think its got something to do with heating and cooling, but why would it do it while driving. any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. edweird

edweird

3. The sound what you are hearing, is the tubing shrinking as is cool's.
    Tighten the clamp's
    Some glass packs are made of three pieces of tubing, and they also can creak as they shrink/cool off.

These pictures are of a pair of mufflers I took apart and shortened them. Needed 2 1/2 pass thru, that size are not avalible in a short length of 14 inches long.

Wanted a quiet exhaust, on the new pipes I made for my scooter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

You probably just need to get'er up to 150/188mph or so? Then look for black marks where it's leaking at the flange. If it's not a leak it's a metal srink/expand like Divco says.

5. the glass packs need a slip joint in them or they become rattle packs after they break the muffler cores from expansion

do you have slip joints in what you installed???

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Metal...expanding / contracting as it cools.... Being in a hardware store (a REAL one) late at night, is to hear all kinds of noise, as the temp dropped.

4TTRUK

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Could be the dog food and nuts the mice packed in them if thay have been setting around.

8. Fenders

Fenders

You know I never thought of this until reading this thread but my original 18" case Cherry Bomb glasspacks did that (I now attribute the sound to the mufflers) and I recently replaced them with 26" case Thrush glasspacks (for quieter sound) and I do not hear that TICK TICK any more....

Sometimes when you hear nothing the change doesn't register....

There is a difference in construction between the two brands... the Cherry Bombs have what looks like and expanded screen inside, the Thrush has a bunch of perforations ...

Either brand seems to have no in or out ... due to the inside design they seems to be reversible with no difference ...(I have not used any with louvers inside which would make a difference)...

But now I realize the TICK TICK difference...

9. snaptwo

snaptwo

A new system will make those 'tinging' noises until things normalize. My '04 Ford 150 was awful on cool down, Ting-creak-pop. When I worked in a muffler shop years back, most the glasspacks we bought were blanks with no slips welded on , the center cores were just tacked and you had to make sure to puddle some weld into that area to keep the core from breaking loose and rattling around in the case, we used a #3 tip and hi-tensile O/A rod .

10. Is it just me or do Fords seem to tick a lot more as the exhaust cools down and GMs not as much? Not glasspacks here, but just stock exhaust systems.

11. edweird

edweird

all that stuff is still in there. i checked.:rolleyes:

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

And you probably dont have a dog or mice. Where does that shit come from?

13. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Muffler Monsters......

14. Right on! HRP

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"Shitty" mufflers.............

4TTRUK

16. Fenders

Fenders

With reference to my change to Thrush in post 8, they do not tick... but I recently noticed a clanking noise underneath after things got hot in a long drive... Could find nothing loose except one of the mufflers (Thrush glasspack #24024) rattled when I hit it with a rubber mallet.

Might not be the cause of the sound but I decided to quiet that muffler: drilled a couple 9/64 holes in either end and used #8 x 1-1/4" sheet metal screws to tighten the core up. No more rattle in the muffler, we'll see if that sound is gone....

Attached Files:

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

A clear case of worn muffler bearings.............

4TTRUK

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

[​IMG]