Register now to get rid of these ads!

2013 Grand National Roadster Show ~ "Woodies,Wagons, & Spirit of Aloha"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Nov 6, 2012.

1. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

In the mid ninties, alot of us where painting our cars semigloss black with red wheels, I just feel this has been overdone and it's nice to see alot of the cars finished and to their full potencial.
    Another trend I 've been seeing at the Suede Palace is guys are building more customs, this is due to the fact that alot guys have gotten married and have kids now, let's face it, you can't stuff your whole family in a model "A" coupe. 40's era customs are the hot ticket now , this is refreshing, for these cars have been ignored in the past, and give a nice change to the usual 53 to 54 chevy's and 49 to 54 fords.
    For hot rods, the new trend is building 30's and 40's era hot rods. For years , most hot rods were being built in the mid to late fifties style, now we are seeing alot of earlier stlye cars being built, for they have their place too, in the history of hot rodding.
    What ever your taste of cars are, you'le find it at the Grand National Roadster Show, even in the other buildings, we are seeing more and more traditional hot rods and customs on display, this is great for it tells us that we are not just another fad that is going to die out.

2. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

I'll be there as well.

3. el spanky72

el spanky72
    from ATX

Not bringing a wagon, but Strugglers CC with members from Texas and Oklahoma will be back at GNRS this year with a new car to show in the Suede Palace.

[​IMG]

Axle, thanks again for the help and hospitality, looking forward to seeing all our friends and meeting some new ones this year!

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Aw man, would have been awesome to try to squeeze my rotten old wagon in there. :D

I can't wait to see the show!!

[​IMG]

5. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

It will be great to see you guys again, more and more clubs from others states have been showing up for GNRS,My friends the Lopper's from New Jersey will be showing up too.

6. wallyringo

wallyringo

its right around the cornor, cant wait.

7. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Great news guys NO RAIN ! forecasted, 73 degrees and partly cloady for the show, we could'ent ask for better weather than that.

8. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

I hope that one trailer isn't parked in the village again. That thing took up ALOT of real estate last year

9. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

To bad I couldn't make it with my 59 Chevy wagon. Alex sent me an invite to display my Longroof but sadly I ended up selling my yacht before he emailed me to bring it down for the show..
    Hope you guys have an awesome show and a killer turnout..
    I wish I have my new wagon done for the show but I have a long way to go to even be there..
    Thanks again Alex for the invite.!!!
    Hope you have another wagon theme show and I'll most definitely be there with my new 59 Chevy wagon..

Richard

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Paul, what trailer was it? Miguel, Can we work on not having it there if its taking up too much room?

11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I'ts parked in the front part of the mexican village, I can't remember the name of the company, the guy usually brings out some late model cars and a few restored muscle cars, I know John has to cover the rent of the mexican village so I'am happy to get what we can,but the guys do cover up the front view of the mexican village so alot of spectators miss that part of the show.

12. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

I don't mean to stir a hornets nest but that trailer with the muscle cars seemed like an after thought. Thats why I pre-regd this year. looking forward to supporting you Miguel.

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks for clarifying . I'm sure its one of the many sponsors, and yes, they do help incur the costs of many things for us to enjoy.

14. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

On another note:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=postrow2 vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2 height=150>The MSA will also be hosting a surfboard raffle to benefit two Hurricane Sandy charities. A beautiful, brand new 8'2" Jacobs transitional shape with a flex fin. I'll will try to post a pic of the board soon. Raffle drawing is Sunday, Jan. 27th 3pm. Buy your tickets at the MSA booth, Building 9 at the car show. Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. Surfers and Hot Rodders show your support...THANKS!

MALIBU SURFING ASSOC. TO EXHIBIT AT THE GRAND NATIONAL ROADSTER SHOW​

[​IMG]

Malibu, California. January 12, 2012 - Celebrating the 50th anniversary of its first contest at world-famous Surfrider Beach, the Malibu Surfing Association has been invited to exhibit at the "The Grand Daddy of Them All" -- the O'Reilly Auto Parts Grand National Roadster Show, January 25-27 at the Pomona Fairplex.

As part of the 2013 GNRS Building 9 feature, "Woodies, Wagons, & The Spirit of Aloha," MSA will select pieces from its archive (some rarely seen) to tell the parallel, and sometimes overlapping, development of car clubs and surfing clubs in post-war Los Angeles.

"We're from the same family, that time in the late '50s and early '60s," said John Hinkle, MSA President, "where teenagers first came together to cruise Sunset Bouelvard, race in the desert, and surf beaches from Redondo to County Line."

Said J.D. Massey, MSA Member, "We shared these passions, to be sure, but we also showed others that our interests were not those of ne'er do wells. This was a lifestyle. A culture. We're honored by the invitation as the only surfing club at the GNRS and look forward to a great time."

Over 500 show vehicles will compete for awards inside all of the Pomona Fairplex buildings. Another 400-800 vehicles will join the event Saturday and Sunday for the 8th Annual Grand Daddy Drive-In. Vehicles will park between buildings as part of the show.

Artwork created by the best pinstripers in the nation will be exhibited at the Pinstriper's Reunion. All proceeds from the auction will be donated to nearby charities.

The GNRS Awards Ceremony starts at 4:00pm on Sunday night where the 2013 America's Most Beautiful Roadster, America's Most Beautiful Motorcycle will be crowned, along with many other awards.

Complete GNRS information is available online at http://www.rodshows.com/gnrs/

# # #

ABOUT MALIBU SURFING ASSOCIATION
    Formed in 1961, the Malibu Surfing Association (MSA) is one of California's first surfing clubs. MSA is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization dedicated to the fellowship of surfing and to the stewardship of its local break, world-famous Surfrider Beach. The MSA Competition Team is the 2006 champion of the Coalition of Surfing Clubs' CSC Series. Online at msasurfing.org.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=bg style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px" align=middle colSpan=3><TABLE dir=ltr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean2 dir=ltr vAlign=center noWrap>Back To Top</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean2 dir=ltr vAlign=center noWrap>Edit</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean2 dir=ltr vAlign=center noWrap>Edit Source</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean2 dir=ltr vAlign=center noWrap>PM</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean2 dir=ltr vAlign=center noWrap>Quote</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=clean2 dir=ltr vAlign=center noWrap>Reply</TD><TD class=clean>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Back on top. See everyone tomorrow on "Load In" day.

16. Looking forward to this. Too bad I saw this too late. I would have tried to register my wagon.

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Just a reminder, for those who did'nt preregister for the Drive in, you can pay saterday the day of the show at the gate.

18. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

It ALL starts today!!!!!!!

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Post lots of pictures....

20. 1962300

Thanks for the invite Alex...After three days of hard labor scraping my three boys young childhood goo mixed with sand off the wagon...It's as good as it's gonna look without restoration. I wouldn't have done it without this show hanging over my head. So thank you! Sadly, I had to tell the boys we couldn't go to the beach last weekend because their surf wagon was getting pretty and I wasn't going to take the Mariano Merc to the beach with surfboards roped to the top. It just seemed wrong. See you later!
    Jennifer Allyn

21. ALLEYKAT1951

ALLEYKAT1951
    from Arizona

The Az crew will be heading up there in the early AM see you all there..

22. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Rain rain go away!

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics - let us know how weather is - online says rain today and tomorrow morning, then only slight chance after that - will be there no matter what

24. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

We're suppose to have a bit af a break tomorrow until the eve.

25. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here are a few shots I took last night during set up. Very nice selection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Ron Lago

Ron Lago
    from Oregon

Look for the "Swoopster" done in full leather by V34 Interiors, the man I passed all on to. Pneumonia keeps me home this time.
    Good Luck to all
    Hi to Lindstrom, Blackie, Baggie, Arti and Andy
    Ron Lago