Register now to get rid of these ads!

What motor/trans do you this is best in a falcon/comet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Faus, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Deuces

Deuces

........ An export brace wouldn't hurt either...

Attached Files:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Bingo! Those older Falcons/Comets had narrow engine bays due to their shock tower configuration, which makes inline sixes an excellent choice for them. Lightweight cars that'll do just fine with a mild sixer...it's the only option I'd consider!

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

What year of 250 would be best to find for using with a t5? Would I be looking for a mustang t5 to mount up to the 250? I would put a t5 behind my 170 but heard that was much more difficult but my 170 runs great...2 speed tranny sucks for my commute and it also leaks in multiple places.

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Nothing wrong with the 170 engine, especially if it's already in good running condition. The transmission can be replaced with a newer 3 speed automatic, or a 3 or 4 speed manual to get rid of the old 2 speed.

Any of the 250 sixes will work okay, but if you get one from 1972 or newer it will have hardened valve seats for use with unleaded fuel. Not a big deal to put the seats into the older head, though...or just swap on a newer, rebuilt head.

Clifford Research used to offer some speed parts for the Ford inline sixes, although a 250 in good tune will be pretty stout in an early Falcon/Comet without much in the way of upgrades...especially with a T5 and a decent rear axle ratio in the 3.73 area.

5. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

What is the availability of the 4 speed? I have seen one on ebay but it was trans only, no bell or brackets.

6. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

if i not mistaken, 250 from 1968+ has the same bellhousing as a 302, so a t5 will bolt right up. 200 & 170s need an adapter plate. check out fordsix.com or classicinlines for some more info

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

You can also use the 'modern' (late 60s-up) small block bellhousings to run a typical Toploader 3 or 4 speed manual transmission. Many Granadas and Mavericks, as well as base Mustangs had three speed manual transmissions behind the 250 six in the early/mid 70s.

8. That's odd, or maybe your trans is in need of work. I run a '61 170/Ford-O daily and have NO issues with the trans, brakes, or anything!! Shift is smooth, firm enough, and well-regulated.

Cosmo

9. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

A lot of talking going on here. I've got a built 302/5.0 and working on procuring an AOD. I had a T-5 at one point. I've got a custom, so I don't pay much attention to the "3-pedals or it ain't a hot rod" nonsense.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. Gotta be a V8 w/t a stick,,4,5 or 6 speed. HRP

[​IMG]

11. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

The leaks are easily fixed cosmo but the thirty miles each way at 70mph are hard on the old girl as she is running very hard and high rpms, this trans would be fantastic if I never went over 55. I like standard shift and desire the overdrive for driveability.

12. Gotcha. The OD would be necessary, unless you changed the 3:50-1 ratio out back. I'd love a 3:10-1, and have considered buying a manual trans (3:10 std) just to swap and flip.

Cosmo

13. Jokester

Jokester

Back in the '70s I had a '60 Falcon 2 door with a Nova 153 4 cylinder and a fully synchronized Chevy 3 speed. Lots of fun and much snappier than the worn out 144 I took out.

.bjb

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We just retired from dirt track racing. I think you would be very happy with one of our old engines.

How about a 359" Windsor style engine? Can't go wrong with Bryant crank/Carrillo rods/Mahle pistons/Windsor Jr heads/Victor Jr intake in a G351 motorsports block.

Maybe a 380" Windsor style with an Eagle 4340 crank/Scat "H" beam rods/SRP pistons/Windsor Sr heads/Super Victor intake in a G351 block?

These would fit better than a regular Windsor since the are a 9.2 deck engine. Gains a bit of room at the shock towers.

If you want to go to a normal 351W engine, we have 3 of those too! Everything from short deck 70 block to marine block. Hyper to Forged.

Think these make great little street engines and they are cheap!

That's my vote.

If you want purely easy with some HP and reasonable life, stay away from 347 strokers (lousy rod ratio, high side loads on the bore) and go with a 331" motor or a long rod 302.

SPark

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

All are great ideas,....... Let's see...a dozen engine/trans combos,...find a few more Falcons,....do one of each.....

4TTRUK

16. 65falcon

65falcon

I have a 390/c6 in my 65 Falcon. Yes it was a pain in the ass to fit with a Mustang II, but if I had gone with the Crites kit it would have been close to a bolt in.

Nothing like semi-stock reliable ford FE torque on tap to make a Falcon move...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

18. Aw, dude, the BIRD is a really tough act ta' follow....

5.0, mild cam n' intake, AOD+ 2300 stall, 3:55 geared 8".....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'till I find a AOD floor shift set-up I like, I'm kinda' stuck with my cast iron exhaust manifolds.

19. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Cant afford a 427 so my 62 is getting a 428 with two fours and a big input top loader.

20. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

My vote : stroked 302= 347 pertronics ignition,simple holley 600,edelbrock torker alum. manifold, alumin. AFR heads if you have the money,gt-40 explorer cast heads if your on a budget, Cloyes true roller chain, Melling high volume oil pump, and definetly balanced. You cant out shift a built up automatic..c4 is dependable, AOD will give you a bit of overdrive for street economy. depending on your purpose desires...get with comp cams before you choose a cam and gear ratio...very critical! A 9" w/posi track lock will support what ever engine you choose. Drum brakes work fine in the back, go to a good disc conversion kit for the front and a good power brake booster and mastercylinder combo to make it all come to a happy stop ! Be safe and have fun with your project !! Heritage Rod & Custom , Smithville tx.

21. tpw35

tpw35

F.E. and a 4 speed.

Attached Files:

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

my cousin is starting a 64 falcon project he dug up a dohc triton engine and a carb conversion for it
    havent decided on eaither MII or straight axel yet
    but we already know when he opens the hood with the DOHC motor people are gonna go WTF!!!

23. bartikus

bartikus

i'm putting a 250/c4 combo in my 64 wagon only because i already have it. should work out pretty good.

24. falconeer

falconeer

Back in the late 60,s early 70,s i bought a 62 falcon sedan delivery for $250.00, it was a 170 6 cyl, 3 speed. Bought a 63 s-22 comet HT with a 260 v-8, roller cam, headers, 2-v carb,4 speed. It was ntl. record holder for years in p stock. Gave $550.00 for the whole car , removed the eng. and trans to the sedan delivery, put in a 65 Falcon v-8 front end and a 57 9" rear end,the delivery ran like a scalded dog. A little Faster than the Comet ( becouse of the diff. in weight) only had $2200.00 in the delivery with this combo, paint and upholstery. I have wished a thousand times that i still had it. Great car an very good gas milage. Gas then was a whopping 35.cents a gal. for white Amaco high test.
    AH,,, Those Wheer The Days
    Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

25. nuts4fords

nuts4fords

This is what Im dropping into my BFX tribute 64 Falcon.

Can't go wrong with a Mexican 302 stroked to 331, 4 speed top loader with front shift location and a 3.89 nodular narrow 9" rear. Perfect for that old school look and feel! Minitubbed, subframe connectors and cage.

Attached Files:

26. Veach

Veach

Why limit yourself to just one Engine / Trans when they come out and go back in so easy

27. Deuces

Deuces

Attached Files:

28. I know, old thread, but great info on doing a swap. Right now deciding on a 302, 347, or 331 for my '64 Comet.

29. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello, I wanted to comment on each of those engines. I don't know what your final intended purpose is for the car.
    If its a budget build, I'd go with the 302 ( & personally I like C4's).
    I would only do the 347 if I was building a race car. ( I think the rings are too close to the piston pins for reliable street driving.)
    I like the 331 stroker & have plans of doing one myself. But, I think you need to make sure you can afford a good set of heads to do it. Aftermarket aluminum being the best. There is really no point in spending money on a stroker kit to put average heads on it.
    Another engine you may want to consider is the 240 straight six- torque for days, high reving if built right, plenty of speed parts & you could build one for about a thousand total.

30. Thanks. I've heard much of the same about the 347 and really wanting a reliable street driver. Getting my ducks in a row. Sourced an 8 in. out of a '65 Ranchero, thanks Jamie, and have a C4 in my shop along with a well used 302. Nice winter project ahead.