Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln Push Button Install?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8Vixen, Jan 3, 2013.

1. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Hey guys,

I tried searching and searching on here for this but all I can come up with is pics of them installed... so here it goes..

Does anyone have or know of where I can find some info on installing the push buttons onto a door that's been shaved? These aren't the repops (which look way easier to install). I just don't see a way to mount them to the door... Am I blind or half retarted (always a possibility)? I managed to find one article online from a truck site but it didn't help me much...

I have a '53 Ford Mainline and the doors were shaved but a previous owner ended up cutting a hole in the door when the solenoid failed so there's a lever to push that opens the door but it's the ugly hole that kills me.

Thanks in advance. :eek:

2. msalamanca

msalamanca

I just recieved some today I bought. It has a screw mount on the side. Just fab something up on the inside. I should be installing one in the next couple weeks, I can take pics then.

3. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Well the screw is to adjust how far the button pushes down... Not sure how well 1 small screw would hold it on either. Def take pics of how you mount them.

4. msalamanca

msalamanca

There are also two holes on the backside, maybe screws there?

Or a retainer clip made.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

5. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

6. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

Post a pic of the back side of what you have. Maybe that will help

8. Sweats

Sweats

Ok here is what I have come up with. This is on my 50 so your results may vary...

1st I removed the stock door handles taking note of the rear screw holding handle
    <a href="http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/Evil-Eric-1931/media/IMG_20130105_093959_zps2a0e29a7.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Then I compaired the handle with the Lincoln button...hmm starting to look simular!
    <a href="http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/Evil-Eric-1931/media/IMG_20130105_094131_zps6a7ded20.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Now holding the button up yo the door I see that they are most likly going to line up farly close. I will retap the Lincoln mounting hole to the bigger Ford size.
    <a href="http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/Evil-Eric-1931/media/IMG_20130105_094210_zps123b01ba.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Looking inside the door we can see where the stock handle push button comes into contact with the latch..so I want to place it as close as possible to that
    <a href="http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/Evil-Eric-1931/media/IMG_20130105_094256_zpsece077dc.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Which will translate to approx here as shown on this NOS latch as yet to be installed
    <a href="http://s1289.beta.photobucket.com/user/Evil-Eric-1931/media/IMG_20130105_081131_zpsd905d2e8.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Of course you will have to more measuring as your handle is allready removed but this should give you a start. I have yet to do this to mine but it is on the list and thid how I am going to approch it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I did the same as sweats on a 50 merc. I welded a piece of steel to the lever on the latch to shim it to the correct height. Used the screw on the side to attach it.

Neal

10. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you Sweats and J'st. Did you guys notice any issues with the button not pressing all the way since you used the screw to hold it on and that is what adjusts how far the button presses in/pushes out the rod?

11. alchemy

alchemy

I don't have a Lincoln, but I have some of the buttons. I think the REAL purpose of that screw is it hold the assembly into the door. Not to limit the travel of the button. Most all Fomoco products since about 1940 had a screw in that location holding the handle to the door. I'd think the fancy Lincoln would be constructed similarly.

Don't worry about if the button goes in farther than before. It won't come out the backside.

12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I don't have mine done. It has been painted but I have not put the latches back on. When I had it put together before it worked fine. The button needs to be pressed in far enough to trip the latch and it had plenty of movement for that. You may need to adjust the length of the screw if it keeps the button from going in far enough.

Neal

13. THEKID49

THEKID49

I did the same as Sweats was showing on my Hudson. Using the single screw in the door jamb. Except I welded a stud on the other side and used half of a gauge holder. You know the U-shaped piece that holds a gauge in the dash. It helped hold the button a little more flush to the door.
    Of course I have no pictures of this.

14. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Funny you reply, since seeing them on your car at a show @ Ink & Pistons was the reason I sought a pair out lol. I get where you're going with that method. Too bad you have no pics!

I'll get it figured out. Thanks!

15. THEKID49

THEKID49

Well next time you see it, ask me and I will try to explain it a little better. Typing it out, and explaining it in person are two totally different things. We could meet up feb 9 at our show. You are going, right?

16. V8Vixen

V8Vixen
    from South FL

Yes I will definitely be there. That would be awesome. Just look for the awkward girl with pink streaks in her hair and probably a flower lol. See ya then !

17. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

add one more to the list for a set.