Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indy Style Car - Barn Find Need Help ID'ng

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Jan 18, 2013.

1. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Agree that its a
    CAE sprint car, lucky to find one that still has the mag, injectors, Halibrand lobster calipers, looks complete, just dust it off don't paint it! keep the patina!

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very cool find!

3. pontman

pontman

Cool find!

It's a sprint car!

4. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks again all for info will up get into more today. Got to find a set of tires for it and pedals but rest is good to go. I'll check the Hilborn today.

5. This might help? Could only find pix of Donnie. Check out the names by the draglink bell crank. Any of those names on yours? Same car?

http://www.bobbyallison.com/photos/donnie%20allison/donnie.htm

[​IMG]

Donnie and car owner Don Seibert pose in the pit area at BIR (Birmingham International Raceway) in October 1975 before a USAC sprint car race. The race was rained out and Donnie never raced the car.
    John Mahoney photo.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  6. eppster

eppster

That wing doesn't look like a 60's wing to me. The side board is up on the on the one side. the 60's wings were basically just airfoils and few tracks would let you run them. Is the cage bolt on , most 50's were not equiped with full cages and had bolt ons for the tracks that demanded them,

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Watching this one with interest. How did you come to find the car? I too doubt it has a indy roadster background but the Allison connection is really intriguing.

Good luck with the search for it history.

8. eppster

eppster

I'm confused by the Olds Sprinter painted on the hood as the motor looks like a small block Chevy to me. They may have ran a big cube Olds at other tracks but I beleive USAC had a cubic inch limit which the rest of the world pretty much didn't. The 410 cubic inch rule didn't really come into effect till later on sprint cars when the World of Outlaws initiated it. Old memories/old mind.

9. Nocero

Nocero

I'm curious what's the story on how you came to own it?

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don Siebert owned a Oldsmobile dealership, had nothing to do with his sprint car engines.

12. kasultana

kasultana

I've got a ton of new pics and I think you are right makes sense and seats, nerd bar, wing etc match. I think you found it. Thanks for tracking it down. Also this Bobbie Allison is from PA not the one who lives in NC. But I believe he was pretty strong driver in his time. Like more info in that and will start CSI. I'll post photos in a few. Been working cleaning it up this morning.

13. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Are you sure you don't have your drivers mixed up, top runner in the day Bobby Allen raced a 1A and is from PA but your car is lettered Bobbie Allison.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby Allen started out racing open wheel in So. Fla. along with Bobby and Donnie Allison before moving to Pa. so there might be a connection.

15. eppster

eppster

C.A.E. sold blueprints of their cars. The first few Trosle cars were copies. Trosle verified one of my friends cars. They sold their front axles so any car could possibly have their axles. I've always heard that "Scruffy' Allen build all his own cars but I guess he could of used their axles. These are all things that I have been told so I assume they are correct .

16. kasultana

kasultana

I've got word thru a few sources to connect with Bobby Allison here in NC. I'm hoping to get more info as I've gotten a few different stories today. As soon as I can get to the computer will add more photos that may help date the car. But all I've learned today is late 50's build so far.

17. kasultana

kasultana

Ok here's a few new pictures from today. I'll post more on the album but this thing cleaned up very nicely. All the wing/roll cage/nerf bar was bolted in so we took it off to help with the cleaning.

Attached Files:

18. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

Bobby moved to North Caroline you may to be able to reach out to him...

19. kasultana

kasultana

With the wing off it has sides that are the same. Check out the new pics. I think Rootie K. found the picture. Pete Hancock driving the car. I am going to give Hancock's a call Monday to see if they have any history on it as well.

20. eppster

eppster

That is what a 60's style wing looks like and I think that carried on into the early 70's.

21. kasultana

kasultana

Right the car has same size sides. So I think it's '60 version. Still working the Bobby Allison part. Believe we will find out this week when someone we knows gets to speak to him. Thanks

22. eppster

eppster

At the time they were only looking for downforce from the wing. Later they realized that they could stall air in the corner by raising the sideboard presenting more side area. In doing this they could also add more rear stagger and turn the car more easily. I did this to my Late-model by installing a lexen window in the passenger side. After about two weeks they outlawed it saying that if you were in a crash it was harder to get to the driver. Can't blame a guy for trying !?!

23. kasultana

kasultana

Cool info on thw wing thanks. Got some NOS vintage tires today to replace the one that didn't make it. Now have to find a tube and we are back to roller. Work on the motor next week/two while we find the history. Got to a few folks over the weekend to see if we can get Bobby Allison to visit the shop to check it out. Thanks to all for the interest.

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

back in the 60s in the south anyway when they ran open competition races, it was anything goes.i've seenfootage of a open comp race in nashville with sprinters/stock cars/stock cars with front fenders removed,and what was called skeeters. i'm sure the samething went for the b'ham/mobile/montgomery area also.regardless of time frame its cool as hell!!!

25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm not really up on these cars put I agree with it being a sprint car. So cool whatever it is called.

Pat

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

should have been a little clearer. B.A. was a wheel man,a GOOD wheel man. he could and did drive about anything.folks would pay him to come and drive a car in maybe just one race.that may be how the name came to be on the car. at one time he was a member on here.

27. kasultana

kasultana

Trying to dig up the history on the car so far has been a lot of the fun. I think this week we will get closer as we've got a few leads. I hope we find out and I'll post what we find along the way.

28. eppster

eppster

Hope you find out something soon.

29. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's a sprint midget car, not an Indy car.