Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to Houston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Jan 6, 2013.

1. spiders web

spiders web

You'll probably be elected mayor, then governor, then run for president of the whole dam country. Hell being from anywhere else, you will be genius material. I'd personally make Texas my last choice, just after rejecting hell.

2. hippy killer

hippy killer

i would recomend arizona they have in&out burger thats not in texas

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As Mr. Crockett said..."You all can go to Hell, I will go to Texas." He enjoyed his stay here I suppose and became a legend along with the other heroes of the Alamo. The rest of us here could do as well.
    The one thing that Texas cannot do is DISAPPOINT. Enjoy.

4. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I ate lunch at an In 'n Out burer in Dallas last week. Dallas is in Texas. That said, after hearing how great it was for all these years, I thought it sucked. The fries were as skinny as shoestrings and the burger was completely unremarkable.

5. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

North toward Dallas, north-west toward Austin, due west toward San Antonio...would not go east or south unless I REALLY had to. Been runnin' this area since 1974 and there are some areas with really f'd up homeowners' associations and/or building restrictions. Stay rural where you can have some space around you and maybe the ability to build an "out building" or two. Welcome to the Freedom State.

6. hippy killer

hippy killer

it suck cuz its in texas they dont have real beef

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had In n' Out in Phoenix and was underwhelmed, did not live up to the hype.

Texas doesn't have real beef? Are you drunk?

8. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

LOL....as if Arizona is known for cattle...

9. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Don't listen to the Texas haters. They're usually just people that couldn't hack it in California and have moved to Arizona or Colorado and are now pretending to be from there.

Now for the Texas stuff.

I was born and raised in the Houston area and have been in Austin since 2005.
    Austin is super safe, hilly, less humid, no matter what the other guy said waaaaaaay less Mosquitos, more car scene stuff.

The bad: Tons of assholes that have moved here to get away from the assholery wherever they came from. It's really changed this town. Most of the people here aren't from here.
    It's way more expensive than Houston. The infrastructure was never meant for half the population we now have. I could go on but now that I'm a parent I'm starting to appreciate the high cost of living keeping out the rif raf.

Houston. I have tons of friends in the Houston area still and have a blast every time I go back. You can get a lot of house for you're money. People are suuuuper nice in Houston. Mostly real Texans. I'm sure people will disagree but there's a lot more cars and car people in Houston. Not would be slickster transplants but people with roots worth knowing. No scene, just real car lovers.

Now the bad: where Austin has only a couple of small and well isolated bad neighborhoods, Houston is like a checkerboard of good and bad areas so you can never really get away from the violent crime so prevalent in these areas. That's why most of the car guys in Houston live in the surrounding areas. All that said I miss Houston. It's a good time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

we los cochinos are from houston.

11. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

This from a guy who's state allows the use of mind altering substances.

'nuff said.

Attached Files:

12. spiders web

spiders web

The mind altering substances are merely there to make you think is warm when the thermometer says -30*F. So what of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. belzebub

belzebub

The one you sold is my absolute favorite, perfection in every detail.
    Wish you all luck over there!

14. gibby64

gibby64
    from East Texas

Welcome to Texas!!! I live 3.5 hours north in Tyler... "east texas"... feel free to hit me up if you come this way. -Kyle

15. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

just had in&out burger in sf,ca. total dissappointment!!! whataburger is waaayyy better

goode company is not good bbq. to get the good stuff you must venture into acres homes.

houston isn't half bad, it is what you make of it. inner city, suburbs, there are douches everywhere.

as for 30 model fords, slim pickins around here. try importing one from mexico, sled seems to have the market cornered.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183098&highlight=mexico

16. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well, if you moved to Austin in 2005 then you kinda fall into the category of people who moved there and clogged the place up....

Around 1990-05 was when Austin really started going downhill. Most of it can be attibuted to the rise of the computer industry and all of the dorks and other riff raff who showed up to make the big bucks at Dell and AMD and Samsung and.....

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Smoking that shit already?

18. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

You are going to like the Houston area. Lots to do. I moved here from Colorado about 8 years ago, and it was the best thing to ever happen to me and my family. Just holler if you need anything or any help. I'm in a southern suburb of Houston.

19. coldbeer

coldbeer
    from houston

houston-blue collar dudes seen drinking beer and having fun
    Austin-nerds and one upper cali guys that like to be scene having fun
    Dallas- have you seen my new watch?

you will like texas.

20. spend as much time as you can picking your neighborhood, it makes all the difference. I would take a hard look at being inside the 610 loop.

21. Welcome. (that's what we're known for here....is welcoming people)

My family came to Texas in the 1830's....one ancestor's blood is in the ground at The Alamo.

I've lived all over the state, and while I was in the military, all over the world.

I currently live north of Houston in the burbs...between The Woodlands and Conroe, and really like it here. Here are some random facts/opinions to consider:

- The humidity is intense in Houston, but believe it or not, it tends to grow on you. I like it now.

- Houston is a working-man's town. We make MONEY here. It's filled with hardworking men and women...blue collar and white collar alike. I LOVE that about Houston.

- The commute into the city from where I am can be a bitch at rush hour...unless you do like I did when I was working downtown....which was leave the house at 5:30, and then you can make it downtown in around 30 minutes.

- There's a ton of good car stuff going on in the Houston metro. In Conroe, there's a HUGE swapmeet twice a year....a smaller one in Humble twice a year as well. There's a rockabilly/traditional hotrod meet in Cleveland, TX and lot's of other stuff as well.

- You can get to Austin and the Lone Star Roundup in around 4 hours from here....on one of the nicest highways in the state (highway 290).

- If you're south of the city, the infrequent hurricane direct hits will be a problem. If you're north of the city, they're simply an irritation.

Houston is probably the most international city in the country. It has huge contingents of European, Asian and many other expats....mostly here working in the center of the world's oil industry.

What we've mastered is making the newcomer feel at home, because chances are one of your neighbors was in the same situation not too long ago himself, and that's pretty much been the case since the Allen brothers started the town 160 years ago.

22. That's some funny stuff right there.

23. wallyringo

wallyringo

superjunkman why you hating on Californians? <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    HOTRODSWE good luck to you and your family I hear Texas is a great place to raise a family.<O:p</O:p

24. thebugbox

thebugbox

Welcome! Other than weather, Texas is the best. Start researching air conditioning options for your ride though...

25. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Actually, rustyfords brings up an excellent point - try very hard to live close to your work so your commute will be as short as possible.

If you know where you will be working in terms of geography, post it here and maybe we can make some recommendations on where to look.

26. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Welcome to Texas and Houston. Be sure and take the tour around Houston. A drive around 610 at night. (watch out for drunks) Be sure and take a run out 225 to see what pays the bills and makes the special air we get to breath...You need to go to Mecca and visit the San Jan Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas..so you know why we are here in the first place.
    I grew up in Houston. I watched it grow from a small Texas town to the big spread out no zoned deal it is now. Enjoy the weather which is either a year long burning hot drought stricken dust bowl or 24/7 raining like you have never seen mosquito filled flooding swamp land.
    I like it here..but I did get smart and move about 60 miles west.
    Kinda miss the downtown deal.

27. Welcome to Texas!!! Check out the Fort Worth area. Its God's country in God's country.

28. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Work is on Brittmoore rd. @ I-10 & Beltway8
    Any info would help

/Ulf

29. Best two areas within reasonable driving distance are Katy and Cy-Fair. Katy is due west down I-10 (fastest growing area in the country) and Cy-Fair is northwest on US 290.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

West University, Med Center and downtown lofts. Lots of options. What kind of money you intend to spend on a home will dictate where you live.