Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The LEGION SPECIAL is at Barrett Jackson?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i'd say that was "well bought".

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

The $31,900 price tag includes the buyer's comission

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I did notice on the BJ websites description of the car that the car was now built by the editor of GG Gazette, rather than Street Rodder!

4. The linkie no workie! HRP

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. I was just watching it for the last two hours,,,was working fine if you could keep the stage hands away from blocking the camera

7. Fenders

Fenders

Ever really been to one? Look at those "bidder's assistants" assholes getting in the bidders face to get them to bid once more....

If I had made a bid and one of those guys got in my face he'd be swallowing his teeth.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

CRAP! I was out doing a shoot and missed the feed. I was hoping for a crazy price, but oh well. The guy I sold it to probably lost a few grand in the deal overall.

I was out shooting this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fenders

Fenders

I was surprised to see those photos are only 640 pixels wide... Kirk, you must have a great lens on your camera.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

was wondering how I missed it - ended up watching too much of many over priced cars being sold - oh well

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Good. I hate it when people buy shit just to try & flip it for a quick profit.

I don't like old cars being teated as a commodity, which is why I don't enjoy watching BJ, even though I'd like to see some of the great cars there.

Buy stuff because you really WANT it in your life.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:rolleyes:Yeah right, as opposed to just asking them nicely to respect your space? Not worth getting arrested for cuz thats what would happen.

The area where the bidders sit is HUGE and bidders assistants are very necessary.

13. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I'm with you on this.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The guy that bought my T paid me what I had paid several years earlier, not including the $10K+ that I spent upgrading it. He bought it to flip it, took it to B-J, and it sold for 90% of what he paid me for it. So EVER'BODY loses.

15. metal man

metal man

Seems like a fair price... a little on the low side. I'm sure the car collector crowd didn't understand it. Only working class, hot rodder, fabricators could really appreciate it's full awesomeness.

At 32k, it would probably pay less than ten bucks an hour to build it, and the parts would have to be free!

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

i think i got this figured right.
    $31,900 minus the 10% buyers fee leaves it at a $29,000 hammer price. then minus 8% for the sellers fee of $2320 and that leaves the seller at $26,680. This doesn't include the entry fee either that flatuates according to time and day slot and of course not the expense of getting the car down there and any other miscellaneous expense like hotel rooms, food, etc.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard as hell to guess what anything will sell for this year as the selling prices have been all over the place. I did come in close on the red 59 Impala fantasy bid car bidding 70K and the car sold for 80K The seller probably only lost 50K on it.

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It seems like the rod/custom stuff that's gone across the block already didn't go real high for the most part, although there was a 58 Pontiac custom that surprised me and went for like $100k while the Oz Welch built chopped 57 buick wagon went for what I thought was a reasonable $71k

20. J's on squares

J's on squares

here comes the ex-friend to chime in. here's my side. i always thought great things of kirk all up til the day he called me to tell me he sold the car and bought two cars from that sale. all fine in my world to sell the car. that's not the point. kirk asked me to paint the car and i said sure no prob, don't even pay me. i'm down to help a friend out. just feed me some food. cool. there was no gas money given to me. food yes, billet proof wind breaker, yes, stickers, yes. i did the job in three weekends. fri night to sat night. had a blast hangin out and making this car look great. i snagged a bottle of pearl from work to add some more "seasoning" to the paint. now kirk couldn't sell the car and it was going for around $6500 before i repainted it. if i remember correctly. so when he sells it for 14k and some change because of the work i put into it, i would think a good friend would be like hey, you did me right and i'm gonna return the favor, here's a little something to say thank you. maybe a hundred bucks or two, but something! i got hey dude i sold the car and got two more!! i never like losing a friend but when i got off the phone i realized that this guy really isn't the type of friend i want to have because i personally couldn't do that to one of my friends. and again it's not about the money. some of you may disagree and that absolutely fine.

21. J's on squares

J's on squares

"the offer to buy it came unsolicited".......it was for sale at paso robles, i think that was 3 weeks or a month after i painted it, it's first car show with the new paint. and a Swanx member bought it. you mean to tell me that one of the c.c. guys we know didn't see the for sale sign in the front window? kirk your whole deal is to flip stuff, get something for nothing and make a profit on it. and you are very good at it. again, nothing wrong with that, just be honest.

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Glad to finally hear your side. Thanks!

The car wasn't for sale before it was painted so I don' t know where the $6500 comes from. Plus I got $11,500 when it sold. The car had received the paint job, new wheels and tires, an interior, new chrome, a top insert, new coil-overs etc.

I have helped tons of friends with their cars who then sold them. Mechanical stuff, fabrication, bodywork and full paint. I did it because I wanted to help them and hang out. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I can't name one vehicle that I have sold that I have made a profit on. In fact, I still have $8600 in debt from May Cause Dangerous.

Also, the for sale sign said it was $60,000 and that it had a rare V9 flathead in it and a bunch of other nonsense stuff. Moochie (who understood it was a joke) asked me after Paso if I would actually consider selling it.

I honestly do appreciate hearing from you. Sorry you feel the way you do.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  23. I know right where you are coming from. i helped an old friend (known him since 1971) restore his old Hot Rod that he had had in 1957 and talked about how much it meant and how he wanted to redo it forever. I did all the labor for FREE. He paid for parts. He had about $40,000 in it, then decided to sell it. Got over $80,000 for it! Didn't even kick down a "Thanks Buddy"
    We don't speak much .......

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

That thought has never crossed my mind when a friend sold a car I helped him with.

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

id like to have read the funny 4 sale sign with a v 9 flat head roflmfao . ive done the work thing to for good food and as volunteered help , volunteer is the key word nothing expected in return as one friend to another , just hanging out an helping ,

26. So does this now mean you two are talking again? At least on the HAMB? Hug and make up. Water under the bridge. Just know that next time you paint someones car, and you say you will help" no fee" then even if that person sells it the next day, a year later. 10 years later. You agree'd to help for no monetary values. I have felt burned before like thisalso but..... It does sour your relationship some . Maybe if you need some help, call Kirk to help you and don't pay anything. Paint always adds a ton of value to a car if it's good. Sounds like you did a great paint job. Want to paint mine? HEHEHEHE.....

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

I like that!

28. metal man

metal man

Well, seems to me like Kirk thought you were helping out because you wanted to...because you were friends,and friends often like to hang out in garages and build stuff.You enjoyed the time spent with friends,working on the car. Maybe that should be enough ?

I get where you're coming from...You felt let down that he sold it quickly after you worked a bunch of hours for free. I don't know Kirk personally, but I'll bet he never set out to take advantage of you. You guys need to shake hands and make up....don't lose a friend over a few weekends worth of work.

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What a fucking soap opera! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.