Register now to get rid of these ads!

No Radiator Pressure!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alabama, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Alabama

Alabama
    from San Diego

My truck was running fine and then all the sudden theres coolant around the radiator cap and runnin down the fan shroud and the overflow tank will keep filling up and not going back into the radiator. I did a pressure test and the only place coolant came out was from around the radiator cap and the pressure gauge never went up. Any suggestions please?

2. deto

deto

So it's coming out the cap and out the overflow and the gauge says you don't have pressure? How good is that gauge?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Sounds like you've done a head gasket and it's pressurising the cooling system. Fill it up to the neck, run it up to temp, look for continuous bubbles. That's just the first and least expensive check.

4. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Sound like you have a bad radiator cap. or the bung on the radiator where it screws in to.

5. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Sounds like a blown head gasket or crack in the head or block. If changing a cheap radiator cap gives no results pull those heads.

6. Does your radiator bung have a problem? Try the pressure test kit on another car a prove the kit is good.

7. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Even if the head gasket(s) were blown, that's no reason for the water to leak out around his radiator cap and down his fan shroud. It should purge into the overflow bottle.

8. I agree with Ayers Garage, I don't think you have a head gasket problem.

9. txturbo

txturbo

The filler neck maybe cracked where it joins the radiator tank. You didn't say what kind/what year truck. If its a metal radiator....just have a radiator shop repair it if its cracked. If its a plastic tank radiator...get a new one of its cracked. I'm assuming you used a pressure tester that replaces the radiator cap, so that should have eliminated a leaking cap. If you pressured it up with the cap on in some other way...then its probably the cap.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. SteveUK1

SteveUK1

Might be a stuck thermostat, happened to one of my cars once - when boiled over it looked liked the end of world but turned out to be a simple fix (worth checking 1st).

11. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Yes, very true.

12. I agree on it being a bad cap. My 32 used to do that when I was running a non pressurized original radiator. Not showing any pressure would lead me to believe its just a cap not holding it in.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  13. k9racer

k9racer

Nothing to do with your radiator but how did you get the name Alabama and you are in calif????????????????? Thank you.. Bobby..

14. DWest

DWest
    from Missouri

If it is pushing water out of the radiator you more than likely have a blown head gasket.

15. so what ended up being the problem?

16. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

if I understand you, you removed the radiator cap, and installed a pressure tester onto the radiator where the cap would go on. if this is the case, and the tester would not build pressure and you saw coolant coming out around this area then it sounds like the neck of the radiator is cracked.