Register now to get rid of these ads!

My recently adquired 1953 Kaiser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 90LXdiaz, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

After messing with late model cars for awhile, i always had the itch for a older car, preferrably a 46-48 ford but hard to find for a great price.
    then came along this... for a smoking great deal. plus i had always loved the lines of the kaiser cars.

its a 2-owner car. second owner only had it for 1 1/2 years. runs great, even on the freeway. seems like the flathead 6 has been rebuilt over some time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now, all i want to do is put wide whites, exhaust and a fresh repaint to its original color.
    im pretty sure split headers dont exist for these cars so i will have to go for a single exhaust. anyone else with a single exhaust with a sound clip ?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Love that dash............so 1950's. :) Glad you are thinking of keeping it fairly unmolested, after all, when was the last time you saw one of these driving around ? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Good score.

Don

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't you love the Widow's Peak in the windshield? Never noticed the rear doors are so much longer than the front on Kaisers. How IS the rear seat room?

4. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Surprise her with a Kaiser.
    Amaze her with a Frazier.
    Or just buy her a Tucker... ;)

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. robber

robber

Dang! That baby fills the driveway:D She is a beauty;) Have fun with it!
    :) ...robber

7. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

rear seat room is actually pretty big and comfy, better than the sofa in my living room ha.

yea these are pretty rare & its so complete, i dont wanna really hack it up into a custom.

just noticed, i was thinking about doing a 2" single exhaust to a y pipe duals out, but theres no room since the gas tank is on the far left rear. damn.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool car.. I too like the dash and steering wheel...

9. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Damn ! You did good.That car is so awesome and windshield is super neat too.It really looks to be in great shape.Wow

10. snaptwo

snaptwo

Nice find. My dad owned a Traveler, 4 door with a hatchback , like a wagon , the rear seat folded down for a flat cargo deck. We used it for camping/fishing trips. I see yours is an automatic , they were GM hydros with a small converter. Those flattie sixes were built by Continental. Actually an industrial engine used for pumps,welders and marine use.

11. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

12. jimkf

jimkf
    from Ohio

Nice 53 DeLuxe! That's a rare car that's well worth some fresh wide whites! Otherwise, I'd drive it as it sits...it's way cool!

An aluminum head and 2 carb intake was available for these cars...I've got 'em on my 50 Kaiser...but they never did do a split exhaust manifold.

13. sobpunx

sobpunx

I have a factory clock if you want it.

14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I love these cars, they are definately on my to-own-list. Just the thing for a mild-custom cruiser.

15. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thats real nice! The guy who stores my car for me is REALLY into Kaiser/Frazier. Back when they ceased production him and his wife went around the country buying up whole parts departments for cheap. He said he had enough parts to build many cars.... Frames, doors, fenders, everything. He sold the remainder of his stash about 10 years ago but still has some really nice dealer display pieces and at least a couple cars to tinker with. Very unique and cool to see at shows.

16. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

The supercharged Graham had cast iron dual exhaust manifolds...it used the same basic Continental six as used in Kaiser, Fraser, Checker, post war Willys car, Willys Jeep, etc...

I got my alternator and brackets from a Checker with a Continental six.

I got an electronic distributor from a commercial sandblaster with a Continental six.

I have photos of Continental six speed parts in my albums....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  17. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thats a Beauty.. Not many in that Condition either..

18. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Way cooler than a 46-48 ford.

19. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

yea im loving it, drives great, although the generator is not charging the battery as it should, (and battery is pretty old as well, have to jump start it sometimes) will be getting it rebuilt this week and buying a new battery.

il put up some more pictures later.

il definitly have those dual manifolds in consideration when i do my exhaust, also on that factory clock. il pm you when ready.

thanks everyone, seats are all original, rears are not even ripped! front are slightly ripped though... definitly getting some wide whites, gonna be an alliance member soon for those savings on coker tire.

20. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

so i just bought a brockman mellowtone muffler for it from vannpeltsales

question though. & im a newbie ha, never had a steel/glasspack muffler, always had chambered style mufflers...

which side is the inlet? its been labeled as this side being the inlet but it would defeat the whole purpose of "muffling" the sound right?

[​IMG]

im thinking this side is the inlet.

[​IMG]

sorry for such a stupid question, just want to make sure

21. snaptwo

snaptwo

Not stupid at all, your last pic. would normally be the inlet because the perforations would deflect the gasses into the outer shell thus causing the packing to absorb most the sound. One can turn a muffler around for less muffling . I always liked a six with a mello tone so watch how much of a split is put into your ex. manifold, usually a full split 3-3 can be noisier . I would have to see your ex. manifold to see how the heat riser and ports are laid out. Good luck with your project.

22. ^What he said, you can flip the muffler around. The side you think is correct is the "quiet" way and the other direction is the loud way. I dont think their is much difference.

What glass pack did you get, and can you post a sound clip, I want to swap out the stock muffler on my 54 Pontiac and its got a flathead 6 too, so maybe it will sound similar...

23. Great car, i wouldn't change too much.

24. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I agree What an awesome car.I wish I could find one up here.doubtful ....

25. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

yea thats what i thought. just wanting to make sure.
    its a brockman mellowtone muffler, steelpack design. its a 12" core size so its pretty short.

havent put it on yet, maybe sometime at the end of this week going to take it to an exhaust shop & redo my piping

yea im not doing much, just a fresh set of wide whites, fresh paint, exhaust & maybe lowering it a tad & make it runs tits for daily driving

thanks guys