Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage License plate price guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 16, 2013.

1. My 10 year old son asked me if we can start collecting vintage license plates. So I like to educate myself alittle on them. Is there any price guide or a website that I can learn off? Thank you

2. That's a good question? I have a couple dozen not a clue about there value.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I'm not sure there is any price range guide,,it also depends on what year and state you want to collect. HRP

4. Just watch eBay. But there is no rhyme or reason to it, unless it's exceptionally rare, I've seen super nice plates go cheap and not so nice plates go for more than I'd pay for them.

5. Yea I sure we will not just have one state or year.. Just different ones

6. pastlane

pastlane

Join the club, great bunch of people.

<cite>www.alpca.org</cite>

banjeaux bob likes this.
  7. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I have picked up rusty and / or unrestored ones in the 50s for $5-$25. I have seen them in the 30s for $100-$200 restored.

8. Tacho

Tacho

Try hitting antique auto swap meets in your area.

9. Fenders

Fenders

10. Yes I been checking Ebay I just won this one for 10.00..

Attached Files:

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

I would think that it would be a good thing to collect, because it's cheap & easy to store & display. Still, I can't get sucked into that black hole. That being said, I picked up this one this past summer at Macungie. There's always a couple of vendors that specifically deal in plates & they always have a five dollar bin. I liked this one for the artwork, more than the antiquity. The numbers etched on the plate is the V.I.N. of the vehicle the plate was on. Up to 1920 in PA, the V.I.N. was etched on the plate by law. It looks like this guy couldn't break the habit & took it upon himself to do his own after the law changed. There is also some kid's artwork on it...maybe a young Andy Warhol?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scotty t likes this.
  12. From the little I know about them from buying them for my car, look up the rules on using "Historic" plates in your state. If they can still be used on a registered car, they will go for more than if they can't.

13. Depends on condition. I have a pair of NY 1932 plates I paid a whopping $2 for here. Paint was shot.

14. I received a couple plates today in the mail. Have a few more coming. Thanks for the information..

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

Alaska plates are usually pricey.
    Porcelian and leather plates are also pricey if real.
    Motorcycle plates can bring a good number too.
    matching sets are worth more too usually.
    California black plates
    plate numbers that matches something like engine size

16. Saw a pair of 1932 plates that included 1932 priced at really stupid money. Send me a pm with an address and I'll send your boy a plate or two.

17. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

18. wow well thank you. My son thank you vey much.

19. Start collecting Alabama, and any other local plates you can, and trade them with people from other states..............Good way to start.

20. Thats a great idea.

21. Fenders

Fenders

I wold like to use a YOM plate on my rod, unfortunately in Massachusetts it is considered an antique plate and so you can only use a YOM plate for shows, tests, etc.... not for regular driving (as in some other states).

The commonwealth of Mass. would make more money if they allowed a YOM plate on any 25 year or older car without the antique plate restrictions....
    (hope they are reading this...)

22. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

ya wanna see crazy? Check Great Britain and other Euro countries. Because (as I understand) they don't really have 'vanity' plates (where you can request specific letters/numbers), so anything that remotely resembles a name or a car make or any other 'message' can be sold for stupendous sums.

23. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I have been collecting tags for about 4 years now. The prices are all over the map. From $10 at a swap meet for a 48 Ky. tag to $30 for a pair of 1940 IL. tags. Some people think they have gold, when they are trying to sell an old tag. Don't ever tell them you are looking for one that is the same year as your car. They jack the price up on you. There is a guy that sells old vintage tags in The Hemmings Motor News some times. Check your area Craig's List also. Good luck.

24. A few years ago I ended up with a couple boxes of old plates at an auction. Took a couple years but sold through most of em at auto swap meets. Sold a few on eBay also. If memory serves, I usually got about $5-10 for singles & $10-20 for pairs in ok to good condition. Sold the last box of singles -mostly damaged, bent up old dealer plates for a buck a plate.
    Something kinda neat to keep an eye out for on the old dealer plates (at least here in Iowa) they had "new car" or "used car" across the bottom of the plate up until the early to mid '70s.

25. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I have dealt with alpca members before. Most are really great, all I have met have been friendly. I will say, be careful, just like any other collectors group. I have been hosed twice by alpca members not giving plates they promised to send me, even though they had my traded material. One of them cheated me badly on an extremely rare and desirable plate, the only one known as it turned out. On top of him taking advantage of my ignorance (a local area guy that I thought was a friend) he never gave me the plates we traded for. I'm long over it, but I learned a lesson about being a rookie while dealing with experts. Most are indeed OK, though. Collecting plates can be fun, an easy but still challenging way to go is to find a plate from each state, and limit your cost to a reasonable price per state. $5 or less will buy most states if you don't care what the year is. I'm still working on motorcycle plates from each state. I could easily finish it off, but part of my challenge is not using ebay, and never paying more than $5. I have a few still to go. My new secondary collection is now motorcycle dealer plates. I have maybe 20 or so of those so far. It seems like they are worth less money, but a lot harder to find. Good luck with your new hobby!

26. Attached Files:

27. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

I recently got a 1943 NY plate for free, [actually a '42 plate with a '43 'band' on it] little rough, but price was right.

I have a bunch of plates [newer stuff] with many multiples, shoot me a pm if interested, and I'll make a list of what I have, find something you like and i'm sure I can send you a few.

28. Thank you for the offer I will send you a PM

29. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I bought some plates from a guy for my car and became really intrigues with the hobby after meeting him. He didn't seem typical, was in his early thirtys. He would buy up collections sort them, pull the ones he wanted the sell the rest.

I don't think old plates are worth as much as some people think they are, 10-30 depending on conditions. Uniqueness really counts. This guy has a couple example of unique plates, one is a 1952 "lost plate". Match pairs can bring a little more but I bought a 1952 KS matched pair for 30 is decent condition. Glass bead and new paint and they would look like new.

http://www.kansaslicenseplates.com/

In KS you would get a tag topper in 52 to go over your 51 plate, same with 52 (saving metal for the Korean war was told) if you lost your plate they issued a new 52 plate that started with an L-.

Another unique one is where the serial numbers maches the year number.

A collectors association:
    http://www.alpca.org/

If restoring a licence plate, a tip I learned was to use a Testors paint pen for coloring the numbers/letters, suppose to work really well. You can get those a hobby/model shop.