Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have seen tool box perfection.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPEEDBARRONS, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I lined the walls of my workshop in 11mm OSB so can put tools up absolutely anywhere.

I have a problem with spending £500 on a rolling tool drawers when I could spend that on actual tools so I use old steel office furniture to store the tools.

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Me too, seeing these pictures makes me want to change habits.

Kind of related, last time I was out working in the shop I had two 50' extension cords out to reach my work five feet away, excess cord coiled nicely at my feet, right where my tools were piling up. Now all those tools are nicely magnetized..

3. donzzilla

donzzilla

I hang the stuff I use all the time and keep the specialty stuff in the box. Works well for me. Was even on a book cover of "How to organize your motorcycle workshop":)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/donzzilla/6624001391/" title="PeteAstroL by donzzilla, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Damn - the only problem I have with hanging tools is that when you are only 5'3" tall you lose half the wall space to hang tools!!!

5. JEM

JEM

For my shop (at home, I'm not in the business) I picked up a batch of Nixon-era Vidmar cabinets when they were auctioning off the electronics shop at the Mare Island shipyard. The roller drawer tracks hadn't been cleaned since the Carter administration but a little WD-40 and they were almost literally like new.

My tool organization in them sucks, though. Drawers still have the bluie-tape-and-Sharpie labels I stuck on them as as a temporary measure something like eight years ago.

I've got a couple old kitchen cabinets beefed up with plywood on casters that I use as roller carts/portable workbenches. And an old filing cabinet as a welding cart, though it's falling apart now. And an exceptionally rusty frame of an old Workmate.

I've got access to a CNC router now, so wrenching's been mostly on hold for the past month while I build myself a bunch of new cabinets for under the workbench (and some bedroom furniture for the daughter, but that's another story...)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. XXL__

XXL__

One worse... an NTSB accident team finding it in the wreckage :eek:

I like the idea of "public display" for accountability. I think I am going to toss this idea out to a technical organization I am doing some consulting for.

7. When i work in my shop and get finished i cant find the door! Lol

8. I love them magnetic strips n' wrench racks.

[​IMG]

Dudes I use'ta work with said this box was gonna' be my sarcophagus 'n I was gonna' be buried in it.....

9. simon g-s

simon g-s

Attached Files:

10. A storage cabinet that folds out - pretty easy to build. Takes up a minimum of space.

Attached Files:

11. If a shop that clean is the sign of a sick/anal mind...I am perfectly sane. {mayby}

12. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

My tools are fairly disorganized but I know where they are. I like that because it keeps others from helping themselves. Plus, if I had a break-in, they'd be far less likely to cart it all off.

13. XXL__

XXL__

I'll bet that guy is really good at doing Rubik's Cubes after putting those tools away a few times.

14. borntrouble

borntrouble
    from NH

Man I always mean to put everything back in it's place, after each project/repair...

And I try to set things up, so that the most used is the easiest to reach...

But how much time do you wanna spend working, and how much organizing... I guess there's a trade off.

I enjoy seeing new ideas though...

Cool thread.

15. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

You get through working on something? :D Mine is never-ending! I have the same problem, and also hated walking around the car/across the garage to get something, so I bought one of the cheapo HF rolling carts and put all the tools I'm using the most on it. They still end up all over the floor or inside the car, but it's lots easier to clean them up afterward.

I just wish I had an organized place to put all the parts from my stripped-down car...

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: All I gotta say,is that my tool box looks like the aftermath of a carpet bombing.
    Simon GS.That is one georgeous set of wood working tools.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Holy crap! O.C.D.?:D Just kidding, that looks great.

18. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

I bought some socket and wrench organizers off ebay and went to work , my 56 inch tool box was overflowing with to much junk . Turns out I have more extra tools taken out , than I have in the box now . Funny part is , I'm missing a handfull of sockets and wrenches that I didnt know I was missing .
    I kept 2 of everything in my box , including deep sockets . Looks great , but I found out those big 56 inch boxes , arent really that big . The top isnt big enough for the sockets , even the short ones and my lid doesnt close right .

20. For me this is tool box perfection. It holds some of my favorite things!

Attached Files:

21. Mark68

Mark68

The op's picture brought back memories of tech school auto shop. We had a small room with all the tools hung on the wall and outlined,there was 3 or 4 of everything.each one of us had to take our turn sitting in the tool room passing out tools,and we had little brass discs that were numbered that we called " tool chits". You have to give one chit for every tool you took out and the guy in the parts room put your chit were the borrowed tool was to keep track of who had what. At the end of the day if something was missing you knew exactly eho to go to.

22. Mark68

Mark68

23. If I had more room I would have a whole wall covered.........

[​IMG]

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I copied this picture from somewhere, maybe even on here, and I thought it was a pretty nifty way to move tools to where you are working. It could be built in an afternoon.

Don

[​IMG]

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My dad did this, and I do to, although not quite as fancy/comprehensive. Saves a lot of time, as long as you remember to put your tools back when your done. And NO you CANT borrow my....

I keep my body work tools, pullers/drivers and measuring equipment separate in drawers.

26. That's a damn fine Astro, son.....:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. shop teacher

shop teacher

I started teaching auto shop in 1979. Everything was Snap-on. I would cut 1 X 1 1/2 metal tags and painted them different colors for each hour. I still run into ex students that have their tags and I am sure some that slipped out a tool or 2(bad Karma)-those DLB's

28. donzzilla

donzzilla

Thanks. You can see from me any way, an organized shop make some pretty bikes:D

After many years of the tools being in the same organized place, they go back effortlessly. I can do something and have them put back in no time. As a kid working out in the shop with dad. We'd start on something at 8:00 and by 10:00 we'd have most of the tools, then maybe get something done by noon. I swore I'd never be that way. It also helps to keep them organized is to not lend them out. My policy is, come over I'll help you fix it. I'm not going to be stuck 'cause some one forgot to bring my stuff back.

29. Funny
    My dad lost a pair of pliers in 1971
    I found them between the radiator and grill in 1989
    " wondered where those went.."

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad