Register now to get rid of these ads!

History VJ Day 1945

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fordnut, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

2. Link doesn't work. HRP

3. working for me - Cool thanks for posting

4. birdman42

birdman42

Very cool!Truly the GREATEST GENERATION!!!!

5. Benchdawg

Benchdawg

That felt good. Thanks for posting.

6. no wonder all these old cars are dented up. Everyone was riding on the roof and fenders back then! Saw some crazy gals standing dead center on the tops of some of those cars!

7. Thanks for the PM,,I went back a clicked on the Video and it worked this time.

Thank you so much for posting,,what a great generation of brave men & women.,,kinda made my eyes leak.!;) HRP

8. HAHA yup or the guy smashing the garbage can lid on the roof of the truck.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I knew there would be some that appreciated it.

10. snaptwo

snaptwo

Thank you , I was 5 years old and living in ABQ. with my mother and grandparents while dad was in the Navy. Oh the relief to know dad was coming home. The whole country was sighing in relief and I remember a big parade with Old Glory 'a flying. Lord help the person that didn't recognize our banner by either removing the hats or crossing their hearts and coming to attention !

11. billyt

billyt

Great video. I am honored that my father-in-law is still living as he was anchored in Tokyo Bay 9/2/45 & witnessed the signing of the surrender.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Dad would have still been over in the Pacific Theater on that day With the "Sightseeing 6th. Inf." Dad didn't drink, but he said someone handed him a cigar and a bottle of beer that day....... He said he really enjoyed them both....

Thanks for posting.

13. Fordnut: Ya done good. Thanks for the reminder..I have that video in a folder on my computer. It was good to view it again. I was born during the span of time the video was shot and grew up in a very patriotic time plus four years in the Navy myself in the sixties.
    Great memories of this great nation. Well worth fighting for then and now. Tim

14. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Wow that was great. Love the cars and the American Flags what a proud time for sure.

15. snaptwo

snaptwo

My dad got into the Navy in '43 , he was deferred because he going to school at USC and working an 8 hr. shift at Lockheed where they were building the P-38. What a schedule. He was aboard LSMR #199 which fired salvo after salvo of deck mounted rockets into Okinawa , I still see film clips of his ship and it's sisters raining hell into Okinawa. Yes it was probably the toughest time and generation in US history.

16. plan9

plan9

My uncles were on a troop ship in the Pacific on VJ day, 8th Army under Gen. Eichelberger. They spent another year occupying Tokyo, and from the photos they lived it up..... maybe they crossed paths. ;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After 5 years of war with the Axis and 4 with Japan I couldn't even begin to imagine what they were feeling. Greatest generation indeed!

Doc.