Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powder coat brake fluid proof?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tudordeluxe, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Will powder coating stop brake fluid from eating through the finish on my backing plates?

2. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

good question. i would like to know too...

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if they all are, but so far, have yet to see brake fluid to anything to ones we have had done.

4. deucemac

deucemac

We ran sprint cars for several years and powder coated the frames. If the powder coat is done properly, it will withstand brake fluid, fuels, rocks, and wrenches dropped on the surface. I say properly done because I found out the sad way that all powder coating people are not the same and how they apply the coating and how they cure it (heat and time) make a big difference. Choose wisely because even bad powder coating is miserable to remove.

5. chubbie

chubbie

I would say yes it is. i have a master cyl. that the fluid got under the powder coat from the top, and it is starting to flake. experience says cover all edges where the fluid contacts. the backer plates and brake drums i've done are holding up well! I even did all the short brake lines once, they look good too

6. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Power coating may not stop it, but using Dot 5 would......

7. earlymopar

earlymopar

It depends on the TYPE of powder used. How it is applied and the cure cycle has little to do with this. As an example, Epoxy powder would work great for fluids like this although it is terrible in UV light and turns chalky. You have many powder categories to choose from and then you get into powder combinations which opens the field up even more. Not all powder coating suppliers offer the same powders so you need to check with the supplier you'd use.

8. kracker36

kracker36

I own a coatings business , but primarily use ceramic and moly resin coatings. Both are completely chemical resistant. Brake fluid can and will break down most common types of powder coating. I also like the ceramic coatings because they are thinner and do not cause interference issues. They are also self-lubricating.

9. I own a powder coat shop, we have taken small coated sample pieces and placed them in containers of various chemicals (got tired of customers asking what chemicals will break down cured powder coat) Tried DOT 3,4,5 brake fluid with sample piece powder coated submersed for days in the brake fluid, did not remove the powder coated finish but it did soften it a little.

10. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

I have seen brake fluid dull powder coat. Lacquer thinner will soften and dull powder coat also.