Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt system to 6 volt gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglyoldcrow, Jan 16, 2013.

1. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

A couple years ago I parts out a old wooden Chris Craft cruiser mainly for the running 283 engine. I happened to be shopping for parts for my 1934 Plymouth Project on E-Bay as I'm into the wiring stages of my project. As I'm going to a 12 volt system but keeping the original 6 volt gauge panel I came across something called a Stewart Warner Shunt out of an old Chris Craft Boat. From reading the auction it was used in boats to drop the amps for gauges in boats that were converted to 12 volts. Well when I was parting out this old Chris Craft I came across one of these in the wiring system. Not knowing what it was, I kept it as it was Real Cool Looking. In my quest for dropping the amps to a couple of the 6 volt electrical gauges, I was told to use something called a Runts. Also I was told that I needed one Runts per gauge. I see that these are also on E-Bay for sale. I know that all this shit gets hidden under the dash so you can't see it. My question is this??? Do I dare using this SW Shunt thing or go to using the runts. My car is a rat rod style without a lot electrical shit going on. I just have the basics. Thanks, Jim

2. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

car

Attached Files:

3. Buz

Buz

Jim, give me a call. I have used the Runts on my 32. I had one burn up but that could have been my fault. I have a Ron Francis voltage drop for the gauges on my 50 and it has worked well for 10 years. I don't have any information about the Chris Craft unit though.

4. 49 Custom

49 Custom