Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

3. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

4. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Selby-Lake streetcar in the 1940s advertising war bonds and stamps

[​IMG]

5. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[​IMG]

Chevy introduces 1930s America To Its Car's Differential

6. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

Is that Hunter s Thompson?

7. In Wisconsin this was our grave digger!

<table class="infobox vcard" style="border-spacing: 3px; width:22em;" cellspacing="3"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" class="fn" style="text-align:center; font-size:125%; font-weight:bold;">Ed Gein</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <td colspan="2" class="" style="text-align:center;">[​IMG]
    Ed Gein circa 1957</td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" class="" style="text-align:center;">Background information</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Also known as</th> <td class="nickname" style="">The Plainfield Ghoul, The Mad Butcher</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Born</th> <td class="" style="">August 27, 1906
    La Crosse, Wisconsin</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Died</th> <td class="" style="">July 26, 1984 (aged 77)
    Madison, Wisconsin</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Cause of death</th> <td class="" style="">Respiratory and heart failure</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Conviction</th> <td class="" style="">Guilty</td> </tr> <tr> <th colspan="2" class="" style="text-align:center;">Killings</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Number of victims</th> <td class="" style="">Two (known)</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Country</th> <td class="" style="">United States</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">State(s)</th> <td class="" style="">Wisconsin</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Date apprehended</th> <td class="" style="">November 16, 1957</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Edward Theodore "Ed" Gein (<small>pron.:</small> /&#712;&#609;i&#720;n/; August 27, 1906<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[1]</sup> – July 26, 1984) was an American murderer and body snatcher. His crimes, committed around his hometown of Plainfield, Wisconsin, gathered widespread notoriety after authorities discovered Gein had exhumed corpses from local graveyards and fashioned trophies and keepsakes from their bones and skin. After police found body parts in his house in 1957, Gein confessed to killing two women—tavern owner Mary Hogan in 1954, and a Plainfield hardware store owner, Bernice Worden, in 1957.
    Initially found unfit to stand trial, following confinement in a mental health facility he was tried in 1968 for the murder of Worden and sentenced to life imprisonment, which he spent in a mental hospital. The body of Bernice Worden was found in Gein's shed; her head and the head of Mary Hogan were found inside his house. Robert H. Gollmar, the judge in the Gein case, wrote: "Due to prohibitive costs, Gein was tried for only one murder—that of Mrs. Worden."<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[2]</sup> With fewer than three murders attributed to him, Gein does not meet the traditional definition of a serial killer.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[3]</sup> His case influenced the creation of several fictional serial killers, including Norman Bates from Psycho, Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Jame Gumb from The Silence of the Lambs.

8. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

1920 Stanley, sold new in New Zealand and still there!

9. Her name was Dorthy Provine, a popular actress in the 50's and 60's. She passed away a few years ago.

Attached Files:

10. DiggerODell

DiggerODell

Mr. Gein really looks like he should be a character in the movie "Wisconsin Death Trip (1999)" . . . a very very eeeeiry flick about murders in and around Wisconsin in the early part of last century. Heck? Perhaps he was . . . am gonna have to watch it again . . .

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  11. this shot alone makes it completely up, Eddie! this is one of the magic shots i'm looking at for minutes, thinkin' and dreamin'! it says: look at the good times gone by .. . ..(i know, i know, the time's weren't always as good as it seems ...)

Thanks, Eddie,

Carsten

12. geotek

geotek
    from troy, ny

Looks just like my 36 Plymouth. The hood ornament is difficult to see but looks like it could be the plymouth.

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

It's a 1935 or 36 Pontiac. Note the distinctive strip down the hood and grille. That's Pontiac Only. Attached is a picture of actress Helen Twelvetrees and her '35 Pontiac. '35 had front suicide doors. '36 did not. Maybe someone can enlarge the photo.

Attached Files:

14. Model T1

Model T1

This photo post 61505 and 61516 was also posted earlier. Had my wife get some photos out of her when she was 16, about when we met. Of course this is not her. But she agrees those photos of ours and this are identical. In fact she wanted to know where I found that old picture of her!;)
    They say we all have a twin. Hopefully my twin is not worn out like me.
    I often see something here that reminds me of better times and it's amazing that some are actually from places we've been.
    This thread has gotten addictive and I again thank everyone who posts here.

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

What the heck nobodies backed into their spot!!! TEE HEE!

16. Model T1

Model T1

As far as I remember nobody ever backed in at drive -in diners. I could get a full meal and rootbeer for under $1.00 for me and my girlfriend.

17. DrJ

DrJ

Or about an hour's pay... Same as today. (close anyway)

I don't back in now... The new power-parking is drive straight in!

18. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

You can learn all about steam-powered logging in a post on TheOldMotor.com filled with photos and a video all about the Lombard Steam Log Hauler.

[​IMG]

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't know the bullet weight but this was the biggest cannon ever built in WWII on anything and it was just about useless because there was no way other than moving the gun on the tracks to aim it! they had elevation but no windage the only thing the could do was use a turn in the railbed to move the muzzle left or right !

20. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

The car in post #61570 is a 1936 Pontiac. The hood ornament is '36 and the headlight mounts are '36 also. 1935 Pontiac headlights mount on the fenders, not the grill shell.

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Joan Crawford...

Attached Files:

22. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks. I knew there had to be a difference between '35 and '36 besides the doors but I couldn't put my finger on it.

23. flthead

flthead
    BANNED
    from Midwest

Thats a great shot.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Leon, right you are.;) Hard to maneuver (and Doc said that it was not very practical and, in fact, outmoded by WWII). Of course the "bullets" were referred to in artillery as "shells," but that's a minor point.

Just as in WWI, the logistics guys' big challenge: They had to construct roadbeds and lay down rails, pretty much aligning the gun with pre-chosen target(s). It's not as though they could wheel in on existing railroads and let off a round or two, then move on.

Not being critical at all here. The "Big Bertha" type of rifled cannon were task-built; and those behind the projects knew what a logistical challenge would be involved, getting them into the battlefield and getting (accurate) shots off.:p

THANKS, Leon, and everybody who gave input on these strange (BUT VERY SCARY) weapons of a bygone age! Practical aerial bombardment (and, later, guided missiles) made these guns scrap, or military curios.

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

January 16, 1919: U.S. Ratifies the 18th Amendment

On this day in 1919, anti-alcohol activists proclaimed success when the Eighteenth Amendment was ratified. Taking effect the following year, it banned the consumption and sale of alcohol.

[​IMG]
    Alcohol, discovered by Prohibition agents during a raid on an illegal distillery, pours out of upper windows of three-story storefront in Detroit during Prohibition.

[​IMG]
    Flappers drink bootleg alcohol in unison, ca. 1925 Photograph via Corbis.

[​IMG]
    Cow shoes,&#8221; made from cow hooves or wood, were used by moonshiners during Prohibition to hide their tracks and evade customs officials. Photograph Courtesy of Library of Congress.

[​IMG]
    Men pour whiskey into the sewer. Photograph via Corbis.

[​IMG]
    Prohibition agents examine some of the three thousand bottles of liquor hidden in a coal steamer in New York Harbor. Photograph via AP Images.

[​IMG]
    What appeared to be an innocent truckload of lumber, turned out to be a bootlegger&#8217;s vehicle loaded with prime scotch when the Los Angeles Federal Prohibition Agents smelled the odor of a broken bottle. Investigation disclosed a cleverly concealed trapdoor of board ends leading to the interior, from which 70 cases of liquor were taken. The device is said to be the most ingenious ever caught here. October 23, 1926

[​IMG]
    The aftermath of the Saint Valentine&#8217;s Day Massacre of February 14, 1929. Seven members of the North Side Gang were trapped in a garage, lined up against the wall, and shot with sawed-off shotguns. According to the Chicago police, the cause of the murders was illicit gangster-controlled liquor traffic. Photograph via Corbis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.