Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single car garage build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by db300, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

3/4 of my roadster build took place in my old single car garage and that included the big stuff like setting up the suspension and frame. Now that I have a double car garage, it's not all that different because the other half is filled!

2. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

Atleast you guys have concrete floors! I have to use plywood to jack the car up. Makes me nervous!

Attached Files:

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Trade you ANY DAY :)

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was building this in a single car garage, not much different to a larger space you just have to be a little more conscious of where you put things and keeping organised.

[​IMG]

Doc.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Picture of the big chrysler please...........:D

6. ChefMike

ChefMike

my space is a 10 x 20 tent ! happy to say in may moving to a house with a two car garage so very happy !

7. monc440

monc440

I second that, lets see it.

Be happy you have a garage. I'm building the Chrysler outside, in Michigan snow. Good news is my non car guy buddy next door just offered to let me use his one car garage.

8. bobjob55

bobjob55

A garage ?? roof and a floor ?? try outside with desert sand floor ..and no shade ..

9. I am building mine in a one car garage. It is tight especially in the winter when it is too cold to open the door and do any work outside.

[​IMG]

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The majority of my Roadster build has happened (and continues to) in my single car garage.

I'm actually just finishing up on getting the space organized... finally. Cabinets, bins, benches, etc.

Here's the Roadster build thread--
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567286

[​IMG]

Malcolm

11. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

The one in my pic above was 12 x 8, so yours is quadruple the area mine was. :D

That black rod was pretty small though, makes the garage look spectacularly large in comparison. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Building my 54 in a small two-car garage that also contains 5 bikes, all my yard tools, a bar-b-que pit, a John Deere 318 tractor and all of our holiday decoration boxes.

I have to spend 20 minutes before and after I work on the car, moving stuff out and then back in again.

I hate it, but I have been completely without a shop in the past and managed to keep at the hobby.

A medium sized shed would do wonders for me because I could move all the non-car stuff out to the shed. But, with one in college and two more right behind, the $$ gets inhaled as fast as I can earn it.

13. db300

db300

Thanks for the suggesting The Garage Journal guys...I'll have to dig into that site for sure. I'm recently married and we live in a great Mid Century duplex with a SCG underneath....it's full of junk that we've been getting rid of since combining our lives. We're getting ready to focus on getting the big 300 out of storage and home so we can awaken the Brute. I've built vintage VW's in SCG's before...this will be my first V8 build.

14. You mean August through June :D?

15. My 1 car garage under the bedroom..
    We're looking at a house with a 6 car garage...

Attached Files:

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yup. My routine used to be: roll it into the driveway, work on the front until the sun makes it over the peak of the roof, eat lunch then work on the side until the sun blasts that, roll it back into the garage and eat dinner.
    When I built my shop I was amazed at how much stuff I had put up on the walls in a couple short years: parts, tools, you name it. There was nothing on the floor except one jack, and only one cabinet. Everything else was in a cardboard box or hanging on the wall.

17. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I'm in a similar situation, Dave. I work until I can't stand the heat (in summer) and then stop until the sun dips below the roofline of the house and casts it's shadow on the car again.

18. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Yep another for single car garage, and a UK one at that. Still, it's heated and got all my stuff in here and all comfy enough, so can't be too bad. Having to push it out to work on anything but the front or the rear is a PITA but got used to it over the years. You do what have to do.

Hooks are the answer for storage, big buggers in the joists and hanging high off the walls. :cool:

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice to know i'm not the only one working out of a sardine can. As mentioned earlier, having everything on wheels helps a bunch, so does shelving. I even have to break my engine hoist down when not in use and most or all work happens outside when the hours and neighbors allow.

Vicky 098 (800x600).jpg

Vicky 025 (800x600).jpg

20. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

At least you guys can fit your car in yours. I have room for the bike and thats about it. Have to do the same shuffle everyone else does to get anything done. No complaints tho, happy to have the space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  21. warrick

warrick

I dont feel as down about mine. Its a one car with a gravel floor when it rains it gets 2 inchs of water in cause guy next door kept dumping gravel on alley beside it so its higher then the floor of mine. But its home and better then working out side as I did when running dirt track.

Attached Files:

22. LOL Not quite that bad but usually the end of September until the beginning of May can be dicey.

23. wdglide

wdglide

Starting my A build in a single garage.

Attached Files:

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

20 x 20's is huge :D:D:D

I miss mine, moved to a smaller garage with a bigger house. LOL

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to drag everything out of my garage to the bare walls, rebuild the shelves that are in there so the don't intrude into the space where you work so much and then only put back tools, and equipment and what parts I need to work with at the time. I've either got to build a shop or buy a shipping container to keep stuff in this year Use that for storage and to put the drill press, belt sander, band saw and one vise in and have only the welder and tool box in the garage proper. That way I could at least get a frame in it to work on.

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The most organized my garage has ever been....

[​IMG]

27. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Do we have to wipe our feet before we enter??? :D

28. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

wow kind of reminds me of my last garage, to think there's a big block dodge in there somewhere.

Attached Files:

29. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I have a 2 car garage and it's packed. Recently bought an amish built storage building to get the mower, motorcycle and outdoor equiptment out and that helped free up alot of space.

However my problem is I have 1 car sitting out that I need to get inside out of the elements. Debating building a single car garage for storage only but the more economical thing might be an enclosed (on 3 sides) portable carport. Around here people set them up for around $699 then I'd have to get some more metal to enclose the sides.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha! It'll never be THAT clean :)