Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I wondered how long it would take until somebody would catch that.

2. teejay99

teejay99

Thanks for a most interesting thread .......I'm glad I kept reading past page 1 , when you mentioned sbc in the F1 I almost switched to another thread ...the 6 pack looks good .

T

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sounds like a good gig.

4. Here's a couple of photos I promised of the '41 Chev sedan delivery that Chev's of the 40's has in the works. This is going to be a magazine feature car so I won't be able to post more photos until after the feature is published. C5 Corvette drivetrain and suspension. Sectioned body, widened rear fenders and a pancaked roof.

41SedanDel_back.jpg 41SedanDel_front.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  5. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

awesome lowkat.

6. forgot the front suspension shot for the '41

41SedanDel_suspension.jpg

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That oughta be pretty cool!

8. So it looks like I may have a shot at another 'project' car. I should find out more soon. Hope I can afford it but I think it's going to be reasonable. Been garaged for years awaiting restoration but looks like that isn't going to happen now.

It's a 57 Chev Belair 2dr hdtp. Original 283 4bbl engine w/Turboglide trans, dual exhaust. Mostly original with a repaint that's worn through. Very straight, very complete, minor rust, 1960's mag wheels. Needs interior but has original seats. You can see it behind the '34.

If I can make this deal happen, the 'new' Nova wagon and the '48 F1 will be going down the road. When I'm ready to sell them I'll post here before the classifieds as I've had a few inquires. Please don't PM me about the truck as it will be at least summer before I'm ready to sell.

DSC06229.JPG

9. Oooh yeah.
    That looks good mark.
    Rattle can respray ?

10. greaser

greaser

Looks like the one I had in 1967. Mine needed a front clip when I got it, never finished the paint, and I drove the wheels off it with a brown primer nose. Great car!!
    Good luck Mark!!

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That sounds like a real cool project! Though I'm really a Ford guy I'd own a '57 Chevy in a heartbeat. Good luck on making the deal!

12. probably no paint until I could afford to do it right

13. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Oh Yea!! The 57 would be a cool ride my friend.I had one back in 66.towed it home no motor bought the whole car for 100.00 . Sliped out the slip and slide and put a 4 speed 301 motor .. Wow that was a nice car.. Cant wait to see it hope all goes well.:D

14. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

I adapted the '46 style caps to my '74 F-100 wheels by making "adapters" out of the outside snap caps; cut out the later caps and attach your early ones, you'll have to trim some of the inside ring out, but they look fairly decent. I'll post a pic later, too cold and too dark right now!! ; (

15. Haven't been doing much car stuff but getting ready to paint the roof on my Nova. I'll post some photos in a few days.

Mainly I'm posting because the shop where I work is looking for a 'body' guy.

This job would include deconstruction, rust repair, metal fab for non available pieces, filler application, block sanding and the usual bodyman stuff. This shop does top notch work and looking for somebody that can do the same. Not a job for a novice.

Shop owner is a very easy going guy and a pleasure to work for. The shop is fully equipped with nice stuff including a huge rotary compressor. Bring your own personal tools. The hours are 10 per day, 4 days a week. Wages are negotiable, paid weekly. Located in Vancouver / Hazel Dell Washington. Call 360-574-9411 and leave a message or talk to Keith (owner)

All of the cars will be 'older' and in for restorations or rodding. Normally nothing newer than 1972. Right now some of the cars in for work are a 41 Graham street rod, 57 Chev Belair resto, 57 Ford Fairlane rod, 51 Chev PU street rod, 51 Ford Vicky crash repair, 72 Mercedes roadster resto, 65 Chev PU resto, 62 Impala SS engine fire repair, 63 Nova SS convert (L79 clone) resto, 66 Nova L79 resto, 50 Ford convert rod resto, 67 Olds 442 resto and a few others including a Ridler contender for next year's Detroit show that has already had hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on it.

This photo is part of the storage building. There's 3 more shops for this business. A metal fab, a body & paint and the final assembly (where I work)

DSC06453.JPG DSC06225a.JPG DSC06158.JPG DSC06233.JPG

16. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Wow, love this thread! Best to you and yours in everything!

17. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Stumbled on this thread and it's awesome! The first pictures of the trucks together are how I got my AA, it was a #2 in a package...But, it is by far worse than #1...

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like a great job opportunity! Too bad I can only do mechanical and electrical stuff. :(:)

19. Looked at a 31 Buick 4dr sedan Thursday. Most of the body work is done and it has all new wood for the support structure. Doors are hung, hood and radiator is off. Looks to be a very complete car other than missing the original engine. What do you think something like this is worth?

Looks like this.
    [​IMG]

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just checked NADA Classic; depending on whether its a 50, 60 or 90 series it can be worth a few bucks in stock condition. #3 condition in the 50 series is around $8500. How much does the owner want for it?
    I can see that car with a Nailhead and auto, slammed a bit. hmmm, maybe I'll photoshop that one just 'cause I'm curious now. lol

21. You and I are thinking in the same 'rod' direction. I only got to see the car for a couple minutes so I'm not sure on the model#, I don't think it has side mount spare tires like the more luxurious models.

Next time I'm there, I'll take some pictures. I think it's going to be between $2K and $3K. I know the owner spent nearly 7K getting the wooden structure custom made and installed and that didn't include any body work.

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

At $2-3K I'd be all over it. At that price it would even be worth it to ship over here. Sounds like lots of the hard work is done.

23. Series 40 114" W/base, 50 118" W/base, 60 124" W/base, 80/90 132" W/base. New '31 straight eight's motors where the basis for Buick for the next 22yrs.

24. I'm pretty sure it's a series 40 or 50 as it didn't seem very much bigger than a Model A Ford. It's sitting next to a 1931 Franklin which is larger.

25. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Mark, saw your facebook page. Nice. You guys dont carry any older chevy stuff? Like 32 5 window parts/panels do you?

26. Guess who's going to be in Street Rodder Magazine about September?

Tuesday was the photo shoot for a new product at http://www.streetrodhq.com/. It's a bolt-in C5 (1997-2004) Corvette front suspension for 1937-1948 Chevy cars. It accepts conventional Chev V8, Vortec or change mount adapters to install an LS engine. We modified the LS mount to use the stock Corvette liquid filled engine mounts in our ZR1 powered project. This suspension is a very easy install.

https://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/32202/Chevrolet_193948_Chevy_Car_Corvette_C5_9704_Suspension.html

We also have a bolt-in crossmember for conventional Chevy transmissions. You can see it in the frame photo but it won't be in the finished car because it's not needed with the Corvette torque tube.

We installed a conventional 350 engine and 700R4 transmission in the frame for the product photo shoot. Then pulled the 350/700 and installed the ZR1 for more photos to be used in a feature article on the car build. The car is a sectioned '41 Chevy sedan delivery shown earlier in this thread.

We've also started a much HAMB friendlier car that I'll show when more progress has been made. It's an E-code '57 Ford Fairlane restoration.

Also in the works is a '57 T-Bird with a SOHC 427 drag racer. It's in the parts gathering stage now but the engine and body are mated. It'll be a while before it's ready to look at.

I haven't done much on my projects but did go to the Portland swap meet and found some needed 'stock' things for my Nova wagon. Antenna, gas cap, window cranks, radio knobs and faceplate.

DSC06688 frame on trailer small.JPG
    DSC06692 small showroom.JPG
    DSC06694 ZR1 engine small.JPG
    DSC06683 small body.JPG

27. Forgot to add. I've finally finished the '31 Chrysler Imperial Limo. Still working in the '31 Phaeton. I started the engine in the Phaeton a few days ago and it was leaking coolant at the head gasket.

Pulled the head to discover rust particles that fell out of the head onto the head gasket during installation causing the leak. This was an expensive engine rebuild done by a reputable builder.... I was surprised. The head is out getting sonic cleaned now then will have to go to the paint shop before I'll get the engine back together.

DSC06670 small RF.JPG

28. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Good for you. I will look forward to reading that.