Register now to get rid of these ads!

DMV transfer from out of state to Calif.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

No, DMV might think you've been up to some funny business...

2. txturbo

txturbo

Thats a half day job just getting to talk to someone.....if its like it was 20 years ago when I was there.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Nah, not anymore .... they now ask that you call and make a "reservation". You only stand in line for maybe five minutes before they call you to the counter ... :)

I still avoid them, though. AAA is the way to go. They seem to be a bit more "sympathetic" to things that are a little out of the ordinary.

4. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Great tip. A guy who does a lot of metal detecting told me to use olive oil. It stops the rust and believe it or not makes the detail more legible. I'm gonna have to try that milk trick! :)

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A guy from the Bantam club just called me back, only Austin Bantams had the frame numbers, American Bantams didn't, I must be seeing grinder marks...but I will have a better look later.

6. txturbo

txturbo

well thats an improvement...when I tried to get my texas car registered there you had to stand in a line to find out which line to stand in. I spent 45 minutes in a line to find out which longer line I had to stand in.

7. roughneck424

roughneck424

8. get some molasses and brush it on the area where those numbers are and let it sit for a week and then check it.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just after I retired I bought a '40 1 1/2 ton roller from Oklahoma. Came with a notarized title and no plates. Since it was a truck it needed a weight slip so I trailered it to the certified scales drove the running chassis onto the scale with the cab strapped to the back of the frame and piled all the other related parts on the scale. The weigh master checked the vin with the title I had and gave me a slip. I needd a vin verification which my son's soccer coach (local chief of police) did and the local AAA office did the rest. Got the CA cetificate of ownership (pink slip) in the mail a couple of weeks later. The issue seems to be the vin issue. Years ago I had problems registering a model A with a lost pink because model A's vins were engine numbers and the motor had been changed. I believe vins went to frame numbers by the mid '30's to resolve that issue. In this case I suggest using a private registration service that can verify vins and handle all the paperwork with the DMV. I good service can deal with the DMV no problem since it shouldn't be their first rodeo. DO NOT try to stamp your own vin on the frame.

10. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may be wrong here,but I think the early austins 30-34,were American Austins,While the later ones were Austin Bantams.I think our early Austin (1930) had a tag on the firewall.You might check with the Metalsurgeon ,He's been restoring a couple of cuties.

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This is a good reason to get a car registered in your name in the state where it is purchased before bringing it home. The state where you live shouldn't care, where you live because they will get some revenue for the transfer and you have good paperwork and plates.

12. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

why dont you just hire a private registration company to take care of it all? just did my jeep cost 300 did vin and running back and forth the dmv got my plates tags and title

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Uh oh, mine is a truck too, title says body type PK, weight a whopping 1,210 lbs.. Will I need a weight slip too?

Rod, '30-'34 were American Austin, '37-'41 American Bantam according to Wiki.

Good idea on registering in the purchased state first, but I wonder if you would still need the vin verification when transferring to Ca..

The Bantam club guy says I'm supposed to have a cowl tag, and he has enough records on my pile to authorize a repop tag if it comes to it, but I am going to check with a couple of 'understanding' agents that have been recommended first. Be nice to have the cowl tag though anyway.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. Took some digging in the Ca DMV web site but I finally found this:

Weight Certificate.

A California public weighmaster’s certificate of the vehicle’s unladen or empty weight is required for trucks and pickups. This certificate may be obtained from many moving and storage companies for a nominal fee. Check your local telephone directory for the public weighmasters near you. A weight certificate is not required for:

Trucks or pickups previously registered in California, when the prior California registration shows the empty or unladen weight, and the vehicle has not been modified so as to change the weight.

Trucks or pickups with an empty or unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less, if the out-of-state certificate of title or registration indicates “empty, unladen, or shipping” weight, and the vehicle has not been modified to change the weight.

Two-axle or three-axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more. The estimated weight is required.

Autos, trailers, and motorcycles.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2534

My pink lists the 1,200 lb weight as WT-L-BHP, whatever that means. I do know they weight about that.

Edit wt-l-bhp
    weight-length-brake horsepower

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  16. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Thought you couldn't even mention titles on this site.

Drug home a '62 Dodge Dart last Summer that Gramps bought in 1969. He passed in 1991 and the car sat unregistered until 2012. I take the title to an Agency DMV and they had to put the title back in the system - was blown out due to inactivity. That took a week, then I could apply for title. Wondered if it would be OK - then 6 weeks later it finally comes in the mail. Heck I had it running and driving by then.

Got my COE back last Summer too, it was still in my name but unregistered for 18 years. Went to buy tabs and it's title was still in the system, go figure.

;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You're not. The other thread got closed.