Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single car garage build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by db300, Jan 15, 2013.

1. db300

db300

Is there a thread on here dedicated to those who have minimum indoor storage, but thankful they have a place, and are documenting a build? Cleaning out my SCG for a big Chrysler......

2. KevinLee builds in a single car garage, a lot of us do just that. I sometimes have to roll my stuff outside to work on it and roll it back in when I am done.

3. 41GASSER

41GASSER

I have been building in a small confined spaces for years. At times its like tetras (the block stacking game) where I have to move crap around to do things. Makes creative efficent use of space & storage a big part of the builds.

4. jesse1980

jesse1980

Mickey Thompson worked out of and built some of his first cars in a one car garage. I am restoring my car in half of a two car garage. I'm getting ready to buy dollies so when my wife's SUV is not in there I can slide it out to work on it sometimes. Sucks but it's better than nothing.

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I worked for many years in a 400 sq/ft garage. I had to decide what side of the car I was going to work on and park it near the wall on the other side. [​IMG]

6. borntrouble

borntrouble
    from NH

Best bet, in a single car garage, is going vertical with your storage and parts, tools, etc...

Give yourself as much floor space(it will usually fill up anyways) to begin with, and allow room for movement for welders, jacks, etc...

Use some old blankets/sheets on your project, in the areas that you will more frequently be moving through the garage... Welding carts have minds of their own sometimes...

Get creative!

7. LOL, don't worry about a one car garage. You'd just have so much stuff piled in a two car garage you can barely walk around your project anyway. Or is that me, yeah, that's me never mind

8. I too have to roll my stuff outside to work on my build. My house was built in 1941, the detached garage is on the smaller side.

9. Thats a Damn fact isnt it ;)

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I put everything I can on wheels and then roll stuff in and out when needed. Right now I have an engine on a stand, cherry picker, a two stage snowblower and a transmission next to the car. All can be wheeled out in 30 seconds. I've built a lot of little dollies out of 2x4's and cheap roller wheels from HF.

11. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I've got a single car garage I work out of. The easiest thing I've figure to do for space is to keep your heavy parts and shop tools in the garage but move all the light easy to move stuff to a basement or storage room untill I need it. I've got my model a sedan mowers bikes and tools in my garage and I've still got quite a bit of room to work

12. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

Same here. Built many hot rods multiple bikes at once and rock crawlers in my one stall. Just moved to a new house and the I was happy cause the garage was bigger. It has 10 foot ceiling instead of 8. Ha. I find it easier to work on 2 sides(passenger and front or driver and rear or vise versa). You get use to it. I love it when people say man you must have a nice place to build stuff then laugh and say it was all built in a tiny 1 stall.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. I wish i had a single car garage to work in! Last time i had a long driveway and a 10x8 shed as my work space. It was good for what i needed.

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Nobody has mentioned Garage Journal yet?

15. GREASER815

GREASER815

Same here, build in a small garage as well. My house built in 1903 and a small garage added in the 50's, sometimes I hate it but then I think about people who work outside and cover their stuff with tarps and I feel better.

16. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I do all my work in an old horse barn with a dirt floor. I had to cut out the stalls with my chainsaw. Not so easy.....in fact it kinda sucks.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's what I was thinking. Head over to the Garage Journal and get some great ideas on how to maximize the space. http://www.garagejournal.com

18. I am fortunate to have a roomy garage with heat & air,but I built my model A pickup in a open carport back in the 70's,,Froze to death and cooked but I got it done. HRP

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ive done my apache in a 20 x 20. Little bigger than a single. But theres no way its a 2 car. Especially with one bay door. Heres a few pics. Link to the build is underneath

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

20. 1 car garage for me!!

Attached Files:

21. LongT

LongT

I only built this T but it was in a single car garage.

[​IMG]

For this picture I was standing in the entry door and this was all I could get in the pic. I admire some of the work these other guys have turned out of a single car garage.

[​IMG]

22. I work out of a 20x20 attached to my house-like the others said-you get used to stacking and moving stuff around. Momma gets used to finding boxes of parts stacked in the rec room downstairs:D
    You do what ya gotta do where ya gotta do it to get it done.

23. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

How small is 'small'?

[​IMG]

24. i worked out of one car garages for years. garages that had no heat to. so i would build my antique motorcycles in a spare bed room. when the resto was done i would wheel them out. putting up plywood in the rafters to store things helps to. when i moved to my new place there was no garage so i used my race car trailer. i would put the car along side it just like in the pits and work away. now my shop is up a 36x80. its so big i loose shit all the time. its filling up fast. i might be back to square one soon with no room. and i waited all these years for this.

25. Here's the total space I had when I built mine. Th garage is only 20'w x 24'l .I think I had 8 x 12 clear space... Forced me to keep things organized ...but ,it was kinda comfy&cozy ,heated with propane, didn't leak ...just another section of track on the train-trip of life...

Attached Files:

26. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

its not small, it's COZY !!

27. I walked sideways on many projects but the one that takes the cake is the HAMB'r that built his car in an efficiency apartment!

I'm going to see if I can find that thread from 2004... that was funny as hell especially the episodes where his landlord lived two doors down and he had an air compressor running!

The two cars I have pictured were built in the same one car garage (in photos) 18 years apart. When I first rented it was after I sold my 1st house after my 1st back surgery!

The second time I rented it was after selling my 3rd house and after my 4th back surgery!

The place was so small I had to step outside to change my mind!

I wired it up for 220, insulated the hell out of it, and drywalled the walls and ceiling for a very energy efficient shop!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I do this in my 2 car due to workbench, body in there, bike, and toolboxes... :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  29. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

How smaller is "smaller"?

[​IMG]

Mine will not fit in my garage without removing the front sheet metal...

30. cakes

cakes

I'm In a 16x24 with one door, I still think I should have doubled it