Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Cars open doors..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Man... that is really cool.

2. Mike White

Mike White

THAT is what it is all about. I have enjoyed many great times with strangers, friends and family alike because of my mode of tranport.

3. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

4. People that don't have even a slight "like" for old cars, are not people.
    Enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing that.

5. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Great story! Years ago I was doing some PR shit for an NHRA event - had some VIP sponsors to ferry around so I rented a "full size car" that turned out to be a Big ol' Cadillac. When the race day was over we got into the rental and tried to merge into the thousands of fans in line to exit the track parking. I say tried 'cause NOBODY was willing to let a new Caddy cut in front of them!
    For a half hour we watched one old car after another being graciously waved into the line, but no movement for the Caddy. Finally I asked one of the sponsor guys sit up on the hood in his race team shirt so somebody would take pitty on us. We got out finally.
    If I was in my own old Ford wagon we would have been outta there asap.

6. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Like everyone else has said, great story. Is your Pontiac parked out front of the Presidio Social Club?

7. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Love it, making lemonade from lemons. Agree, driving the old cars around seems to bring out the best in others. I don't think I can recall ever having heard a negative comment from anyone while driving my old truck around. Quite the opposite, plenty of positive comments, even from people you would never expect it. And all I have is just a beat up old farm truck. Driving it makes me happy too.

9. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Do German women Shave??? Do you still have a matress in the back. Did you plug in your 8-track Chuck Berry, My Ding-a-ling!!!

10. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story. Its all about the journey not the destination. Old Iron makes adds more fun to the ride.

11. Neat story. I agree it seems that people want to help when you have an old car with an apparent problem, even simple as running out of gas.

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

As said before, great story. And a true one. A friend's '37 Buick gets plenty of these sorts of gigs down in LA. Parking out front, and we get in the door for free. Heck, just bombing around in my Jalopy of a Phaeton yesterday, I got way more smiles, thumbs ups, and conversation than you can shake a stick at...

13. Mucha Muchacha

Mucha Muchacha

Glad the night worked out for you jay. Trish was just telling me the story this morning, so funny! Good thing you weren't on the bridge or anything! That's always my fear since cal trans just pushes and scatches your car with those giant trucks!

14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I've had my old car die on a few occasions and there always seemed to be some generous soul jump up and help push it along. I try to help push cars when I see one needing help.

About a month ago I was in my 49 Buick and drove past a local coffee hangout that often has one of 2 custom roadsters I see often on the HAMB. THey noticed the car as I drove by but about 100 yard later it died, but they could not see it. I'm sure they would have helped. I ended up parking in front of a retirement home for about 30 min before I could get it running. Every senior that came out had a big smile on theri face and loved the car. It was probably the most interesting thing they saw all day. I hope it brought back good memories for them.

15. autobilly

autobilly

Great story. Agreed, people dig old cars and it reflects well on us. Many would love to own one but weather they realise or not, the commitment and effort required to upkeep let alone improve one (or more) is usually beyond them.

16. I thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks. You may have turned some otherwise disinterested people into old car buffs that night.

17. Cool story.

I like the fact that you pat your car on the dash. I do that all the time to mine.

Old cars are alive.

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

19. That's my favorite story so far this year.
    Good times and memories all around!

20. Life would be boring if you never had to push.

21. This thread is worthless without pics of the VP.

;)

JH

22. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Neat wagon thanks for sharing.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks Bomber, lots of great stories already this year!

24. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good story about risk management. As neat as the story turned out, if you had to do it again, would you have stopped for gas?

25. Woodguy

Woodguy

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

whats so great about running out of gas? Especially when you know you need gas, have the money, and just passed a gas station? And with a VP of a company riding shotgun? It's not cool, it's embarrassing but the first three-fourth of the story is cool.

27. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story Jay.. I know the feeling. :)

Can we have a better look at your Pontiac?

28. I've had problems with my OT driver and electric fuel pumps so I've had a few of those moments.. lol. Great story, and I fell the same about old cars and the people you meet in your journeys. People who watch to much bs on TV think the worlds such a terrible place, but its really a great place full of people doing what they need to do to get by, and working together. I cant count how many times I've picked up a part for a car and spent the whole afternoon/evening at the guys shop/home, you buy a part, talk cars and they invite you in like family.

I dont know if its the old cars that bring out the best in people, or its just that some great people are interested in cars, but you cant hardly look at a fourm or automotie related website without hearing about someone, or alot of people doing something good for someone else.

29. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi JB.Great story.
    Lee Bo.Thats why you should always carry a collar,harness,lasso and a single tree with ya.;)
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo