Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car cruising in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nifty, Jan 8, 2013.

1. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Myself, wife and another couple are hitting California this year for the Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield. We made it over from England in 2011 and couldn't wait to repeat the adventure.
    We've prebooked some of the hotels but wanted to know if anyone had recommendations for cool hotels in San Diego, Huntington Beach and San Fransisco.
    Easy enough to search the web which we've done but wondered if any of you guys had stayed in places that you really rated. Huntington Beach last time we stayed in the Best Western but the price now appears to have doubled! Some other hotels in SF seem to be booking up already.
    Don't worry the hotel in Bakersfield is booked.

At the moment it's only a shout out for hotels. The list of rod shops, Tiki bars and site seeing stuff is pretty much sorted, but I may be sending some PMs to a few of you guys closer to the time for some real help.

If all goes well this will be a fully documented car cruising trip for your enjoyment.

Thanks in advance for any help and look forward to meeting a few more HAMBers in Bakersfield this October

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

crowne plaza hotel in san diego. might be pricey though

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You can check out Coronado in San Diego. Here's the link http://www.hoteldel.com/
    Why do you want to see Huntington Beach? Nothing but traffic jams and sewer water. The central coast is way better. Pismo/Oceano Beach, Avila Beach, Morro Bay. As for San Fransissy, here's a good link for hotels http://travel.usnews.com/Hotels/San_Francisco_CA/
    And while you are there, you can visit the real Surf City, Santa Cruz.

4. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Stayed in Huntington last time, really enjoyed it. This year we're planning on leaving the girls at the beach and heading into LA, I missed all the rod shops last time and Bob's Big Boy! We did make the Peterson and NSRA museum though.
    While we're in San Diego if all goes well we're hoping to cruise into Tijuana maybe for a little tuck and roll!
    Seriously if it comes off this will be the trip of a life time for me.

5. Ya know...you DO have friends who live less than 40 mins drive from San Francisco, who have 2 spare bedrooms...and waffles...

Just sayin....

6. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Cheers Dave we were planning at some point to impose ourselves and take full advantage of your hospitality, drink your beer, lounge about the place and take the piss......
    hang on that was last time we saw you!

I'll send you a pm with our ideas and see what you reckon

7. roughneck424

roughneck424

Bako Loco
    Here for any local pointers

8. deto

deto

x2. The hotel del is awesome...

9. Sounds like a plan......

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

San Diego? Crystal Pier.
    Instead of overlooking the ocean, stay in a cottage actually located ON the deep blue Pacific!

http://www.crystalpier.com/

[​IMG]

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

12. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I agree for hotel del Coronado in SD.
    Don the beachcombers in Huntington Beach for food.
    Plenty of bobs big boys around. Taluca lake is the oldest. Near Burbank.
    Have a safe trip!

13. Firefly

Firefly

Ha, ha ...classic!

14. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Thanks for all your help guys.
    Loving the look of the look of Crystal Pier. My wife has also just found a few 2 bedroom cottages in Huntington Beach literally around the corner from Main street, self catering, one of which has a double garage and all for less than most of the motels in the area.

15. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Don's was a place i wanted to visit last time and missed out, won't make that mistake again! Thank you for the reminder.

I think a week or so before Bakersfield I'll have to put a shout out to all those attending so i can buy a few beers and meet some more new friends from the HAMB

16. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Well my wife found a website that I thought I'd share with you guys
    http://www.homeaway.com/
    Rent privately owned holiday cottages/apartmemts/condos etc. We've found a great place in Huntington, garage and off road parking, BBQ, garden etc. looks incredible, in the right location and cheaper than booking a motel!!
    If any of you are planning a roadtrip or holiday it's well worth having a look

17. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Ditto on the Crystal Pier. Nothing more San Diego than Mission Beach.

18. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Cheers Keith, if it were a little closer to the sea I could convince Peck but he needs to get his feet wet!
    However does look like a brilliant place to stop and affordable too.

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Laguna Beach is only 20 mins away........:D

have a look at these then if you want the ocean on your doorstep

http://www.crystalcovebeachcottages.com/html/index.php

K

20. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

La Jolla is really nice to stop and watch the seals and some surfing but my favorite is San Clemente is awsome. My 2 cents and see ya in Bako

21. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

TIKI TI best tiki cocktails in so cal.

4427 West Sunset Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90027
    <table class="ts intrlu" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="width:28px;padding-top:1px" valign="top">
    </td><td style="color:#222;line-height:1.24" valign="top"><nobr>(323) 669-9381</nobr></td></tr></tbody></table>Hit me up if you are making it over there.

Also The Mission Tiki Drive In right by Waldens, Kennedy Bros. So Cal speed shop and others.
    Address: 10798 Ramona Avenue, Montclair, CA 91763
    Phone:(909) 628-0511

22. Most of the cottages there are book a year out unless you want to stay in the dorm style places, but the whole little area is a great place to visit if your driving through. Laguna is on the other side of the hill from me. There are LOADS of hotels in HB, so don't settle. If you going to LA hit Philippe's for lunch and Angels Flight for fun..........

http://www.philippes.com/
    http://angelsflight.com/

23. 56FRLN

56FRLN

A similar site is http://www.vrbo.com/. We use that site when we travel anywhere - much cheaper to get a nice condo in Chicago for example than a couple hotel rooms would cost when you are traveling with 4 kids.

24. Awesome! Keep Josh and I posted, we have a tiki bar that could use some HAMB patrons.

25. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Sounds fantastic, I'll mention the Tiki bar to Peck and guaranteed you won't be able to keep him away and definately won't keep him quiet until October!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'm stuck in Bahrain at the moment so the thought of California hospitality, sunshine and cars is keeping me alive!

26. Peck

Peck

Someone say TIKI? I'm there!