Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Cars open doors..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. That is one cool story, Jive Bomber. And the car looks great.

3. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Most people dream of getting to ride in an old car but are afraid to ask. I'm always up to take a ride in someone else's car as well as giving a ride. Great story!!!

4. That's how you do it! Kool

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Neat story! It always feels good to drive your car as just that, a car, albeit a very cool car!

6. seatex

seatex

Great story, JB. A memory I'm sure your guest won't forget, either. well told.

7. FLAT56

FLAT56

Hey Bomber
    Great to hear that the old iron can still bring out the best in people, with all the negative things you see on the news these days it's good to hear that chivalry is not dead. Cool Safari, Cool story, Cool memory for the german lady.
    Flat56

8. I absolutely love the wagon,,you made a few bucks,you did a good deed and karma bit you in the butt,,but along comes 3 young guys and do a good deed,,they get repaid and all 6 of you get to where your going in the end.

I call that a happy ended to a great story! :) HRP

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. choprodinc

choprodinc

It's usually when problems occur that make the trip memorable, Now the VP has a great story as well. Good read Ryan!

10. GARY?

GARY?

Great story.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great story, Jay -- and I agree, old cars do seem to bring out the good in people.. random strangers, at that.

Reminds me of the time I was having clutch problems in my old Galaxie in New Mexico and three women ended up pushing me into a parking lot while I steered. Denise (hotrodladycrusr) and Megan (Chevygirlrox) were two of them, the third was a random stranger. We had a good laugh about it, despite the issues with the car. :)

Malcolm

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Great story! Well written!

13. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Thats cool, but living and growing up in rural Oklahoma, I could never get lucky enough to convince livestock to push me when I broke down or ran out of gas!

14. I find that true aslo. Any time you are stranded in an old car you seem to get some one who will stop where as in the late model they will just keep on truckin'! Even with a breakdown, any time your driving the old stuff, it's always a great adventure.

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

So,what happened when you walked her to the door?

16. Great story, Jive-Bomber. Great looking Safari, as well. I prefer them over the more common '57 Nomad.

17. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Great story.

18. deto

deto

awesome story dude. A month ago I said I wanted to come across somebody who needed a lift and I would happily give them a ride. I'm lucky. I was able to do it twice these last 2 months. It's good to see decency isn't extinct yet.

19. rubens

rubens

Very cool story! Nice safari!

A few years ago I took my '70 Cuda out of the garage when suddenly a lady opened the door of the car and jumped in. The only thing she said was, " I just missed the bus, can you take me to the next block?" So I started laughing, and did what she asked.. The only thing she said was "thank you, have a nice day" ;-)
    That's about 11 years ago..

20. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

ass gas or grass no one rides for free....great story, somehow, in some weird way I think this is what this hobby is all about.

21. Cool story!

This reminds me of an evening when I was cruising downtown and my 49 broke down at a red light... just next to a tourist's hotspot. Already when I was approaching that place, people started looking and pointing at my car. And started taking pictures of my car waiting at the red light.

So when the light turned green, the old sled didn't want to move.

The crowd was huge and seemed to get even bigger while I was trying to shift into first gear. I knew the problem – the shifter was stuck. I also knew I could fix in a second – but not in the middle of traffic.

Cars started honking, the tourists kept on staring and taking pictures.

I jumped out of the car and was trying to push my Chevy away from the road. Which is no easy task... Especially with helpful comments coming from the crowd like 'oh look at that nice old car', 'wonder what happened to it' or 'see that happens when you drive an old car'.

All of a sudden some dude came running from the other side of the road – obviously a homeless guy judging from his looks.

He yelled 'hey bro, what's going on, need help?'

And before I could say anything he helped me pushing my car off the road. 'Wow great car bro!' were his last words before he disappeared in the crowd of onlookers. I wish I would have been able to at least say thanks to him.

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, great story.... thanks for sharing it.

23. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

One year at the Roundup, my folks were in town, and because they weren't sure they wanted to spend the WHOLE day at the car show (they're in their 70s), they brought their daily, too. Turns out they did spend the day, and Mom wanted to ride in my 49. I drove the 49 over to their car, so dad could follow me home. In the parking lot, I'm stopped by 3 'kids', in their early 20s. I roll down the window, and they explain they've been trying to get a cab for over an hour. Of course the Roundup is not quite downtown, and there are several other events going on in Austin that weekend... "You're not going to get a cab to come out here, where do you need to go?" Their hotel was downtown, near the Convention Center, less than 1/2 mile from the house. Easy detour. "Hop in, I'll take you right to it."

So while my 73 year-old mother talks about Brisbane and Australian Open Tennis with the 2 young girls, I talk hot rods and New Orleans music and food with him. Dropped them at the curb in front of the hotel, denied the offer for gas money, and told them to find my on S. Congress that evening and buy me a beer. I bet they tried.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ah yes, the old "running out of gas" when you are driving a young lady home trick !! :rolleyes: You old dog, you. :D

Don

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Very Kool story, Old cars do sometimes bring out the best in people.
    Great story, happy ending, doesn't get any better!
    KK
    P.S. I have a soft spot for '57 Pontiacs!

26. kevin47

kevin47

Whoa, Moraga huh...? Hope to see you 'round town some time...! Kevin

27. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Great story indeed... We all have had something like this happen I suppose, but life is just more interesting in an old car. I stopped at a garage sale one day in my daily driver at the time (a nice '67 Mustang Sports Sprint). There were two ladies sitting in the garage chatting and they commented on my car and then I heard one referring to her son who was inside the house and talking about how old Mustangs were his favorite cars, so after some conversation, I suggested that I would like to meet the kid. When he came out of the house, his jaw dropped and a huge grin came over his face when he saw the car. I asked him if he had ever sat behind the wheel in one and he said no, so I asked his mother if it would be OK if the boy sat in my car. We all walked down to my car and I had the youngster get in by himself. He was wide-eyed and loving it, being very careful as he looked around and felt the steering wheel, asking tons of questions, etc. I asked if he would like to start it. He was sorta shocked and reluctant, but with a little guidance, he hit the key and the little 289 roared to life through a healthy sounding dual exhaust. I asked him to rev it up a little and when he did, the look on that 12 year old boy's face was absolutely priceless! When he got out, he thanked me and told me that he never dreamed that someone would offer to let him get in their old Mustang. After the boy went back in the house, I learned that he had lost his father and was pretty down and depressed, so they were greatful for my random kindness and offering the boy a chance to experience his "dream car".... You just can't do that is a late model.

28. weez

weez

Old cars do seem to have a positive effect on the moods of people in general-

One time an 80 year old guy at the post office said "Thank you for driving this" (about my '50 Ford) I was touched-

29. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

What does Mrs. Jive bomber have to say about your story? haha

Great sorry, thanks for sharing!