Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moon Rocket has a new set of shoes. (56 Chevy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moon Rocket, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Just something cool about a car that looks like it wants to kill you, isn't it. :eek:

2. I totally agree.

That may have been the case in NJ but here is the South back in the 60's the Crager SS were some of the most popular wheels,,I thought they looked great on the car,,the white letters were also a product of that time period,,although I believe their time has passed. HRP

3. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Don't worry, the Cragers aren't going anywhere. They were given to the guy who built the car for Xmas in 1970 by his wife and have been on the car since. She told me how hard it was back then for her to come up with the money to buy them for him.

I'm sure they will show back up on the car sooner or later.

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

5. bb55hrt

bb55hrt
    from Michigan

Love both looks. I'd wear out the wheel studs swapping them back and forth.
    BB

6. kennkat

kennkat

Personally I like the Cragars, but not the white letters... Still nice either way...:):):) Except for one small thing... :eek::eek::eek: YOU MAKE ME MISS MY '56 CHEVY!!! :eek::eek::eek: Darn U!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: One Sweet Chevy there!:):):)

7. kennkat

kennkat

Nice story :):) Even NICER that you feel the need to honor the past! :):)

8. Love the dog dish Caps - Love the car. Looking forward to meeting you man. Josh

9. Quarter Pound

Quarter Pound

What size and brand tire are those on the rear? I think I need a pair of those.

10. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

They are M/T ET Street radials. 295/65/15 They are tall! About 30"

11. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Thanks. Actually I believe our paths have crossed in the past @ Paridise?

I have only had the 56 there one time, but i used to make it in a little 47 Dodge PU, called it "Rebel Heart". Always made a point to come on down the hill and check yall's stuff out.

[​IMG]

12. totally dig the new look!!!

13. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I think baby moons would be better,

14. captmullette

captmullette

how wide is the tread pattern, and cost, they look great and the wheels

15. Butch M

Butch M

wow I like this one.......

16. edweird

edweird

i have wood!

17. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

The tread is about 11" or so. The cost is a little over $200 a copy. Their not hard to find.

18. Next time you swap tires tell the guy to put the wheel weights on the back side of the rims.

19. Wowcars

Wowcars

I was worried you went the other way at first. Love the new look. Nailed it.

20. Like the dog dish look much better than the cragars - muchos tough.

21. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Dang, this is a tough crowd to please!

First I was advised to lose the Cragers. So I bought steel wheels and had two of them banded for the wider tires. Blasted and painted them. Of course I was informed that the white letter tires had to go, so I bought a new set of tires.

After that and I put the new wheels and tires on I was informed I needed to dress up the steel wheels a little. So then I went out and bought new 56 dog dish caps!

Then I was advised to lose the hood “bird”. After I took the hood bird off I was advised I needed to put it back on. So to split the difference I searched all over the place to come up with a smaller aftermarket “bull nose” bird.

Now just when I think I have pleased everybody, I learn I need to move the tire weights to the inside. I guess I should be happy, after all it’s getting less expensive every step of the way!

I just hope no one will think I’m too pretentious if I have the tires rebalanced with the weights moved to the inside? Just seems to me, moving the weights from where they really need to be to do what they are on there for is kinda like not wearing glasses because you’re worried about how you look even though you can see?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Looks Fine! 'Nuff Said!
    KK

23. n847

n847

Most of the time they can balance just fine from the inside. I think the car looks pretty tough, but I've got a thing for a clean black 56...
    My dad and I built this one

24. n847

n847

25. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

WOW !!! I love the new look . Looks 'BAD ASS'.....Ray...

26. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

That's a very nice........sweet56! ;)

27. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I've always preferred the dog dish cap and steel wheel look!

28. Just paint your wheel weights the same color as the rims, that's what I do when they won't balance from the back.

29. Sorry boss, it's just something that's been pounded into my brain since I was a kid by my pops. It's an aesthetic thing and I meant it and shoulda said it like this..."a good looking car like yours should have the wheel weights on the inside"

Btw, I've never had a out of balance wheel with the weights on the inside either.

30. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I guess I'm just a Rebel! :D Maybe that's because my Pops was busy pounding my ass with his boot!