Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Our 1930 Chevy Coupe AD Universal build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deepsand2, Oct 29, 2012.

1. deepsand2

deepsand2
    from Lakeside

Well I beg to differ on the original tag info being unique and not relatable to the fisher tag. The original tag consists of the place of manufacturer (mine was was built in St Louis the fisher tag has an "s" to depict that but you have to use the # that designates that which in this case is "3" for St Louis. After that is the model which mine was "AD". And last is the body number which is also on the fisher tag.

2. deepsand2

deepsand2
    from Lakeside

I also heard that these floor board tags where only used when a vehicle was brought to a dealership for service. Don't quote me on that.

3. Early Chevrolet cars & trucks used Car Number Plates to identify where the vehicle was made, which month it was made, show the series and the number of the vehicle as it came off the assembly line. Most early wood-bodied models had this plate nailed into the seat frame or the floor on the passenger side. For this reason, they are often missing. A beautiful and accurate reproduction of the Car Number Plate is now available for 1925 thru 1939 cars & trucks. The plates changed each year until 1934. Model names "Superior K," "Superior V," "Capitol," "National," "International," "Universal," "Independence," "Confederate" and "Eagle" were used prior to 1934. From mid-1933 thru 1936 "Master" & "Standard" were used. Starting in 1937, the plates had "Master" & "Deluxe Master". From 1933-1938 most trucks used the Master Car Number plate. Compare to your original plate to be sure.
    The Car Number or Model Identification Plate shows the factory of manufacture, series designation (i.e.: BA = 1932 passenger cars), the month of manufacture (1932 and later models) and the car number. Using this example number, we will break down the code: 6BA 03 14173.
    In the example above, the first number or numbers indicates the factory where the vehicle was manufactured. Referring to the table below, the number "6" indicates that the factory where this vehicle was manufactured was Oakland, California.
    The letters "BA" indicate that this was a 1932 series passenger vehicle and the model was called "Confederate". The second table lists the 1925 to 1939 series and model designations that were used on all passenger cars and most trucks:
    Plants of Manufacture

1. Flint, Michigan
    2. Tarrytown, New York
    3. St. Louis, Missouri
    4. Kansas City, Missouri
    5. Oakland, California
    6. Atlanta, Georgia
    7. Norwood, Ohio
    8. Buffalo, New York
    9. Baltimore, Maryland
    10. Van Nuys, California
    11. Janesville, Wisconsin
    <table> <tbody><tr> <th>YEAR</th> <th>SERIES</th> <th>MODEL</th> </tr> </tbody><tbody> <tr> <td>1925</td> <td>V</td> <td>Superior</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1926</td> <td>K</td> <td>Superior</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1927</td> <td>AA</td> <td>Capitol</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1928</td> <td>AB</td> <td>National</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1929</td> <td>AC</td> <td>International</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1930</td> <td>AD</td> <td>Universal</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1931</td> <td>AE</td> <td>Independence</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1932</td> <td>BA</td> <td>Confederate</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1933</td> <td>CA</td> <td>Eagle</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1933-36</td> <td>Car & Truck</td> <td>Master</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1933-36</td> <td>Std Car</td> <td>Standard</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1937-39</td> <td>Car & Truck</td> <td>Master</td> </tr> <tr> <td>1937-39</td> <td>Deluxe Car</td> <td>Deluxe Master</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> The numbers "03" indicates the month that the vehicle was manufactured - March of 1932. If the number was "11", that would indicate that the vehicle was manufactured in November of 1931. This part of the serial number was not used until the 1932 production (model year), therefore, 1931 and earlier models will not have these two numbers.
    The number "14173" (model series unit number) indicates that this is the 13,173rd vehicle to come off the Oakland assembly line in 1932. (Note that the numbering started at 1,001).
    In 1932, there were two different Car Number Plates used. All 1932 models had a 2-digit month of manufacture added to the number. Early production vehicles used "Car Number" on the plate, just like the 1931 models. Later production models used a new plate that had a longer field for the number. In order to make room for the longer number, the words "Car Number" were shortened to "Car No". From 1932 and later "Car No." was used.

Example Plates

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Fisher body tag that is mounted on the cowl
    Contains the Job Number, Body Number, Trim Number and Paint Number.)
    Note: GM of Canada included the car serial number on this tag. US Cars did not.
    [​IMG]

4. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

+1000

5. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Great work keep us posted.........

6. bald_1

bald_1

im interested in those fenders and running boards if ur going fenderless shoot me a price thanks .

7. deepsand2

deepsand2
    from Lakeside

Sorry I have sold all of the parts. We are slowly but surely making progress on this car. top and doors chopped 2" and tacked back together, 3" channel,in the process of replacing wood with steel, fiberglass rumble seat trunk lid is replacing old homemade wood trunk lid (what a pita to get this lid aligned correctly.). I'm dying to get some rubber for these wheels...

here are some photos. and more can be found here http://www.deepsand.net/1930chevy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ...I like it a bunch...

9. I like the progress! Keep up the good work.

10. KustomKelvin

KustomKelvin

Any new pictures on this build. I just picked up a 30 3 window great to see the works out there.

11. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Wonder what ever happened to the builder and this car, seems like he vanished about 2013 and never any more updates even in his picture file that was linked

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-10-4_9-44-50.png upload_2017-10-4_9-45-15.png

Agreed, it would be interesting to see if it was ever finished and driving being over 4yrs now. You don't see too many Chevies because of the wooden frames.