Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a guess on this beauty?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Belairman, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 55Belairman

55Belairman

My Mom's neighbor found this photo of her Grandfather's car in a box of stuff she was going through. Can anyone identify this model? This is the only shot I have to post.[​IMG]

2. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Chevy 490 series? Around 1920?

4. Chev 490 circa 1918-20

5. 1913 "Little". littles where sold through chevrolet dealers,but, are not chevrolets. durrant owned little motor car company. this is the second "bigger" model with 6 cyl. it's called the "little 6". the other car they made was called "little 4". it was a small roadster with a 4 cyl. first and only year for the little, sales where bad. little was merged with chevrolet. there are no known littles left.

6. 1917 Baby Grand Touring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]

7. hjmaniac, the "grand 6" chevrolet was the replacment for the "little 6. the chevrolet had a bigger engine and longer wheelbase. but, it is almost the same car. after the little was out of production, they moved chevrolet production to the little plant. some of the first chevrolets where actually littles with chevrolet badges.

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Its not a "Little" or a "Baby Grand".
    Both of those used semi-eliptical springs in front like the later Chevys.

Notice that the car in question doesn't have frame horns...therefore it either has a cross spring like a T...or in this case Quarter-elliptical suspension.
    The 490 Chevy had this body style and used quarter-elliptical springs in front and back.

9. I do not think it is a 1913 Little. The tapered cowl and louvers on the pic in question does not macth the Little which has a wide cowl and differnt hood louver details.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>1913 Little "Six"

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. I think we have a winner!! Congrats Hackerbilt!

[​IMG]
    1918 Chevrolet Model 490 Touring
    Photo by Douglas Wilkinson at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI.

11. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Thank all of you for your quick responses. The photos are great too.

12. kevin47

kevin47

You can always post your "unknown" photo's on the VCCA Chevy Chatter site...They have a bunch of oldtimers that can identify old crap quick...Hell, they used to own them...! :D

In fact, I'd go directly to VCCA Chat for all your original Chevy questions...They're quick to answer and know what they's talking about...I should know I'm a member... :D

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Well...he didn't actually KNOW it was a Chevy when he posted it and as for quick, 5 minutes to ID and another 5 minutes for second confirmation doesn't seem TOO bad! :D:D

I realize that a dedicated site WOULD be "likely" to have people with a more detailed knowledge of their favorite vehicle...thats just common sense...BUT the beauty of this place for ID'ing is that the members are not 100% focused on JUST a particular vehicle as a Chevy-Mopar-etc site would be.

The HAMB is a huge melting pot of automotive interests and information.
    SOMEONE here knows the answer to pretty much any automotive question.

Besides...we like ID'ing stuff! Don't redirect our fun! :eek: Hahahaha

14. Ditto ^^^^^^^