Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Reunion 2013, Changes more Hamb Friendly!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Dec 20, 2012.

1. I like Pro-tree but that's not traditional.

2. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I think the pro tree is the closest thing to a flag start. Another thing you might consider is that if there is an odd number of cars for the first round, you draw to see who races who. We all know how a driver of a certain cinnamon colored Willys sedan would always make sure his was the odd car giving him a bye into round two. I've seen him on more than one occasion pull over on the road leading to the staging lanes and then continue to the lanes when he was sure that there were no other straglers. That's right , you know who you are and I'm calling you out. First round was always the toughest round for me to get through.

3. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Don-

I have always wondered what the liquid is on the camera when you made your pass? Great video, gets me fired up! I dont care but noticed several cars had weld wheels on their gassers, I know the Meltdown drags you have to send a picture of your car to race, cars that dont look the part will be in the car show only. Only comment I have to say is that I hate pro street cars, big tires under the body. Those cars have no business in a nostalgia gasser race. Gas classes ran all the way up thru the 80's, whatever your cutoff year is say 1974 your car should fit the rules of the day or older nothing more modern as for looks like wheels and paint etc. To be clear on this, say your running a 1933 Willys in AA/G and the car was built in 1968 it should look like its in 1968 from the stands, if you have a Opel built in 1969 it should look like it did in 1969 and so on. Safety must be updated or you cant run at any tracks.

Dave.

4. Yea I know what you're saying about that Willys but those tactics are nothing new and the thought of a straw draw would end that.

I agree with you regarding pro-tree being similar to a flag but.....

They didn't have pro-tree back then and with flag or arm drop you can still utilize experience to your advantage. I watch the shoulders of the flagman.

5. I agree, I also would never try to pass my truck off as being a "gasser" but this is the type of vehicle that DOES NOT belong in nostalgia gasser class

[​IMG]

6. Dave, looks like water or oil, or both! :D I will have to look in to that before I take it out! Amc has a problem with the heads cracking externally by the exhaust port, and mine did on that side and I did a back yard repair that has held up for a couple years...maybe it is coming from there. Just have not had time to look at it with family, home repairs, and the new car build....

I have a set of NHRA rules from 1969, trust me when I say you do not want me to do that! The rules do say the cars should resemble the era, but largly this has not been enforced. I will pick my battles at this point, but I totally agree.

7. how close is your J to the rule, it sure looks close!

8. Don, the J is close, probably about an inch low which I could fix with a spring spacer or taller springs. I believe spring spacer (between coil wind type) is not legal according to NHRA rules. The factory spring is 13 inches tall and compresses to roughly 8 1/2 inches under load according to the factory manual, so I'd need a pretty tall spring in there or a stiffer one.
    I hate to mess with it because it seems to work pretty good now...lol

I want to say I defiantly understand where you are going with the height rule. Well at least I think what you want to do is get the modern, updated drag suspension, low sitting, old car shell sitting on new car drag chassis cars out of Nostalgia class. I can't agree more to keep nostalgia racing somewhat nostalgia with safety upgrades of course.

9. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I'd be willing to bet the stock spring is too stiff for a drag car.

10. We are getting a little off topic but I think they are working pretty good http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/swade41/Henry J/Scan10.jpg and don't really want to change things. I'm doing a gear and convertor change as it is, now back to on topic stuff.

11. alkycoupe

alkycoupe

Hey Don, I see you have your hands full but I'm going to ask now before we all make other commitments, is there going to be a Pro class at this years reunion? I've been getting questioned about it constantly (don't know why everyone in the class is asking me) But I need to set the record straight and move on.

12. fastfred1933

fastfred1933
    from usa

Don, I never said you could not drive. I pointed out the obvious. Your car ran closer to the dial-in than your opponent. The race was lost due to reaction time. NOT beacuse you had a disadvantge racing a newer style gasser. I was addressing the nostalgia/modified class discussion only.

13. As you can imagine, lots going on! I will be in contact with Beaver Bob this week, and should have an answer for you by the end of the week or sooner. We had a large meeting yesterday at my place with the Classical AA/GS group! Guys drove in from PA, NY, TN, and NC!

Attached Files:

14. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

I like the idea of having a band play Friday night but I need to know Will it be a nostalgia band. Or a modified band. Maybe a hot rod band. Just trying to lighten the mood. Let's all just have fun there.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. alkycoupe

alkycoupe

OK Thanks Don,keep in touch.....Steve

16. No money, so a free band! Anybody want to play at a drag strip?

17. So now we're going on "how close"?

What's close? 1/2 inch below? 3/4 inch below? 1 inch below?

Then, is it going to depend on the car?

Austin, Anglia, Willys, Henry J - IN

Chevy, MoPar, Ford, Studebaker - OUT

If you are going to make it a rule that the rocker panel MUST be above the centerline of the spindle then that's what it should be and be that for ALL cars. The only way "close" should come into play is if the car in question is close to center on the high side.

You can ignore what I and others are saying but I'm sure the "silent majority" is thinking the same way. PM's or no PM's.

18. Where is the 'smiles' icon for a deep exhale?

19. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

I have kept up with all of this Don good luck!!lol

20. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> There is no "In" or "Out"... there will be a class for all "Gassers", regardless if it sits high or low.... From what I'm reading and understanding, Don is just separating them into different classes, the "up in the air" GASSERS, the "lower" GASSERS and even another class for cars that may not fit what a gasser is, but is still nostalgic. Beaver Bob and Don are doing their best to make sure everyone has a place to run and I'm sure this event will be a great one!

21. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

The "Classical AA/GS Group" will be there in full force too...! We'll have eight Supercharged "Up-in-the-air", wheel standing, smoking machines entertaining the crowd with side by side runs right out of 1967! All the members of our group do their best to show the fans what the "Gasser Wars" of the mid 60's were all about! Three foot wheelies, 330 ft burnouts and museum quality race cars along with some of the true legends of drag racing still piloting these beautiful machines! Headlining the field will be the "Big John Mazmanian" tribute car with NHRA Hall of fame drive Bones Balogh slated to drive! Bones drove the original "Big John" car back in 1964 and won the US Nationals in 1963!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  22. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

East Coast Drag Times Hall of fame driver and winner of two National Hot Rod Reunions AND the US Nationals winner Fred Bear will be behind the wheel of the K.S. Pittman 1933 Willys tribute car! Fred was an original team driver of the famous Falls Church Va. based S&S Race Team!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

The absolute GORGEOUS "Ron Bizio" 1933 Willys pick up driven by Jeff Cryan will be there too! This is the ORIGINAL race car straight from the Gasser Wars! Jeff does a great job wheeling this machine and is always in the hunt for a victory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Dave Cobb will have his tribute to legendary Gasser pilot and builder Chuck Finders.. Chuck is a member of the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame and helped in the construction of Dave's "Finders Keepers" 33 Willys... This 33 is a beauty and runs as good as it looks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

I'll have my Boss Hydro 33 Willys in action too! We were lucky enough to have won this event last year and will do everything we can to repeat! The Boss Hydro is a tribute car to my Dad who raced her back in the mid 60's against some of the legendary gassers! My Dad was inducted into the East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame in 2003 and we race this car in his honor...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We even tow it to the track like its the 60's..!

26. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

THE BADDEST 56 CHEVY in the world is Steve Crook's Blew by You! This car is a show stopper from his burnouts, wheelstands and gorgeous looks! Steve wheels this car like a absolute pro and always puts on a spectacular show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Another AWESOME hot rod is Skip Cloverdale's Special Edition II 48 Anglia!!!
    Skip is the ultimate showman with 1/8 mile smoky burnouts and mile high wheel stands! This car not only is killer in the show department but runs with the fastest in the class!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Eddie Kasicki will have his Phenomenon 1933 Willys flying high! Eddie was the runner up at the US Nationals AA/GS class this past year and Eddie's show stopper is always a crowd favorite!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

The above cars are only a sampling of the "Classical AA/GS Group", I expect more entries to enter! This will be a KILLER show!

30. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Damn Rocky, when you go racin, you defenatly come packin a big load
    All top noch cars and people.................fantastic show there.
    John